Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Triggers...do You Know What They Are?

Rate this question

halos2

Question

Triggers...wow what a common subject brought about to us, especially those with PTSD(other mental/behavioral conditions).

So you are diagnosed with PTSD. You put in your va claim because you can't take it anymore...you wait...maybe get a c&p with-in a year, if lucky.

Then wait ...tension builds, you become more irritable, this does not just effect your mental status, but all of your body systems. You go through all the gambits, depression, maybe addictions, laugh/mostly cry, yell, fight, avoidance, introvert, or extrovert s/s, secrets abound you, paranoia sets in...you wait... scream, isolate yourself, demand to others"I am not crazy!"...you don't sleep, or you lock yourself in a room and try to use sleep as your coping mechanism...waiting for a reply, you check the mail, call the va#'s but it just increases the anxiety. Still waiting on your claim..grant/deny/low ball/appeal/bva/etc.

There are so many symptoms we all go through but how we can try to cope with these is something we all have to hopefully find to HELP us along the way. To have some type of sanity in our disturbed life. Finding some solace.

I think here at hadit I personally can find some peace, even if a brief moment..I find "friends" who don't really know me but care about me...care to listen/read and mostly offer encouragement, in a very private place where I can be me, no judgements/no phoney bologna just me. They can be frank and direct and still show kindness and compassion.

I had some issues at the VA yesterday, and as it progressed my B/P and Pulse rose...thump thump thump my head was pounding and I could feel my pulse abounding in every nerve/muscle of my body...I requested the policy and procedures they were trying to use with me...after 30 minutes they gave me a copy"I was right there was nothing in them that validated what they were doing/why they were doing it...I won, but I lost as they say"We have the right to change blah blah blah...But I made it known to put in addendum of exception rule? Who know...

My point I contacted Pete53 prior...can I change it/probably not...is it worth it to let them with "their triggers"(or as I chose my triggers at that moment) make me physically and mentally and emotionally sick? No...I stepped away cried, got more pissed off, then took his advice, don't let them make you sick! Yes I know easier said then done, but the more anxious I got the more it dawned to me..."Let it be and Think of me!' Went to a 3 hour pain group after this...did a relaxation exercise and told EVERYONE ABOUT HADIT!

I think I get caught up in the system and let the "triggers" run me instead of stepping back and "letting it be and thinking of me." That I will try to use as my new motto, at least sometimes/maybe/hopefully. What can I change/not/accept and LIVE.

Today I will try to avoid some triggers, if not I will try to choose to accept what I can and breathe...breathe...deeply breathe...BTW I have known the techniques for years but application has not been practiced.

Thanks to so many friends here at hadit letting a hard headed right person vent!! :D

Edited by halos2

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Wings:

I found out a long time ago that its not what is going on around me its what I am doing inside. I try to remove negative people from my life. I try to mind my own business sort of hard when you are a Moderator and I try to take little time outs so my Irish Temper does not get the best of me.

I can talk a good game but I still yell to much and I should be much kinder. I am a short timer on this earth as when I read the obits lately I am older than most who are there. In December Social Security will change me over to regular retirement at age 66.

I have known you long enough to know that you are a brave and decent woman who is generous even when you are struggling and I promise you that when you take time off from Hadit you are sorely missed.

I also consider you a friend we have been through a lot even though we only know each other on Hadit on a bulletin Board or Forum.I am always happy to see you post and try to learn and usually do

Pete

Pete, Your contribution here is consistent warmth and kindness; never a mean word for anyone! Besides that, your priorities are as straight as an arrow: Mrs. Pete, the boys, the grandchildren and us veterans are lucky to have you!! Looks like we will be here until the end of time ;-) It's been a honor to know you Pete. Love, Adora

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

What about being jacked around with your appointments! Even more, not telling me in a fair amount of time...yet if I have to cancel or request a change for some important reason/illiness all hell breaks loose!

I was on the phone with BH trying to find out why I have received 2 letters in 2 months requesting I see someone in BH...when I see at least 2 different professionals at least monthly for each. So why can't they read my appointments on the computer as I see them on my paper log. No I am booked already that day at that time.

WTH I can't be in 2 places with 2 different people at the same time! TRIGGERING HERE...Just leave my scheduling to me and my provider, no middle man/women needed here to screw it up. Been same time on same days of the weeek for months and months, so don't mess with what works. BTW save a tree, quit sending me a letter to come in when I am already coming in. Dum dum.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

halos,

I hear you there. They jerked me around like that for a while too. Here's another one you might relate to.

For a couple of years, the Birmingham VA hospital used to setup an easel with what I call 'guilt posters'. The posters has a big chart with the number of appointments scheduled, number missed, and the percentage missed. Of course, the missed info was posted in big red ink. If the idiots would get their scheduling correct, the percentages would have been much smaller.

Saving trees? How about the robo-letter you receive monthly telling you that they are still working on your claim. At least it is a sign that the computer remembers your claim is in their hands...

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• HadIt.com Elder

Seen those posters and white boards too. Not very professional to display internal management issues to clients. Aren't we job security? Don't see this type 'laundry' displayed by private medical providers.

Got one VA provider shows me screen inputs during my visit - right on!

Isn't the Robo is called 'Mr. HINES'? and this 'Hines' doesn't have lips? Most envelopes I recieve aren't sealed with a kiss.

lips or 'lipstick on a robot'? he he.

Tape would help - Even 'danger' Will Robinson had a robot with arms that could tape things? or was that Jetsons?

halos,

I hear you there. They jerked me around like that for a while too. Here's another one you might relate to.

For a couple of years, the Birmingham VA hospital used to setup an easel with what I call 'guilt posters'. The posters has a big chart with the number of appointments scheduled, number missed, and the percentage missed. Of course, the missed info was posted in big red ink. If the idiots would get their scheduling correct, the percentages would have been much smaller.

Saving trees? How about the robo-letter you receive monthly telling you that they are still working on your claim. At least it is a sign that the computer remembers your claim is in their hands...

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

It may sound like a silly question "But when your paranoid, what isn't a trigger?". BTDT

I'm talking about when you're on pins and needles, expecting heaven knows what, so you hide from the world. I have spent days doing that - I hate it when it happens, because part of me "knows" it's not real!

"It is a terrible thing, when you lose your train of thought and you only have a one track mind"... Me

96C2P/96F2P (old MOS designations)

97E2P/37F2P (new MOS designations)

• HadIt.com Elder
...Triggers...wow what a common subject brought about to us, especially those with PTSD...

Many links to triggers, here is just one of them.... http://ptsd.about.com/od/selfhelp/a/CopingTriggers.htm

Edited by Commander Bob

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"