Question

My VA primary care doctor was the first one to send me to mental health;

Here is my claim

Department Of Veterans Affairs

VA Regional Office

210 Franklin RD

Roanoke VA 24011

Dear Sir

Please consider this as an additional claim for depression Secondary to my service connected Intervertable Disc syndrome. All medical records are at the VAMC Hampton Virginia. Also consider this to be a request for Service connection for my teeth and gums. I was fitted with a temporary plate for my teeth in 1985 and I am still wearing the temporary plate.

V/R

Jimmy Mac

VA Claim Number

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Are you rated TDIU? I see you have an 80% rating. If you are TDIU then you can get dental care. If not you have to show an injury to your teeth and/or gums. The VA guards dental care like Ft. Knox. They will yank a tooth but beyond that you need to SC'ed for it or be 100%.

VOC EDUC REHAB COVERS DENTAL TOO. <_<

Are you rated TDIU? I see you have an 80% rating. If you are TDIU then you can get dental care. If not you have to show an injury to your teeth and/or gums. The VA guards dental care like Ft. Knox. They will yank a tooth but beyond that you need to SC'ed for it or be 100%.

No

I am not IU want to work as lonf as I can trying to save money I know that the day I can no longer work it will take 2 to 3 years fighting the VA to get IU. my goal is to work intill i am debt free then keep working till the Dr says I am done. Or intil I get a drug test at work then they will probally put me out of work

jim

PS was turned down for voc rehab because I was working. I am going to school under the new GI bill afraid I will fail out tho. Do u know If I fail out will the VA come after me for the money they spent?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

e-CFR Data is current as of November 2, 2009

Title 38: Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief

PART 17—MEDICAL

Dental Services

Browse Previous | Browse Next

§ 17.161 Authorization of outpatient dental treatment.

Outpatient dental treatment may be authorized by the Chief, Dental Service, for beneficiaries defined in 38 U.S.C. 1712( b ) and 38 CFR 17.93 to the extent prescribed and in accordance with the applicable classification and provisions set forth in this section.

(a) Class I. Those having a service-connected compensable dental disability or condition, may be authorized any dental treatment indicated as reasonably necessary to maintain oral health and masticatory function. There is no time limitation for making application for treatment and no restriction as to the number of repeat episodes of treatment.

( b ) Class II. (1)(i) Those having a service-connected noncompensable dental condition or disability shown to have been in existence at time of discharge or release from active service, which took place after September 30, 1981, may be authorized any treatment indicated as reasonably necessary for the one-time correction of the service-connected noncompensable condition, but only if:

(A) They served on active duty during the Persian Gulf War and were discharged or released, under conditions other than dishonorable, from a period of active military, naval, or air service of not less than 90 days, or they were discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable, from any other period of active military, naval, or air service of not less than 180 days;

( b ) Application for treatment is made within 180 days after such discharge or release.

© The certificate of discharge or release does not bear a certification that the veteran was provided, within the 90-day period immediately before such discharge or release, a complete dental examination (including dental X-rays) and all appropriate dental treatment indicated by the examination to be needed, and

(D) Department of Veterans Affairs dental examination is completed within six months after discharge or release, unless delayed through no fault of the veteran.

(ii) Those veterans discharged from their final period of service after August 12, 1981, who had reentered active military service within 90 days after the date of a discharge or release from a prior period of active military service, may apply for treatment of service-connected noncompensable dental conditions relating to any such periods of service within 180 days from the date of their final discharge or release.

(iii) If a disqualifying discharge or release has been corrected by competent authority, application may be made within 180 days after the date of correction.

(2)(i) Those having a service-connected noncompensable dental condition or disability shown to have been in existence at time of discharge or release from active service, which took place before October 1, 1981, may be authorized any treatment indicated as reasonably necessary for the one-time correction of the service-connected noncompensable condition, but only if:

(A) They were discharged or released, under conditions other than dishonorable, from a period of active military, naval or air service of not less than 180 days.

( b ) Application for treatment is made within one year after such discharge or release.

© Department of Veterans Affairs dental examination is completed within 14 months after discharge or release, unless delayed through no fault of the veteran.

(ii) Those veterans discharged from their final period of service before August 13, 1981, who had reentered active military service within one year from the date of a prior discharge or release, may apply for treatment of service-connected noncompensable dental conditions relating to any such prior periods of service within one year of their final discharge or release.

(iii) If a disqualifying discharge or release has been corrected by competent authority, application may be made within one year after the date of correction.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1712)

© Class II ( a ). Those having a service-connected noncompensable dental condition or disability adjudicated as resulting from combat wounds or service trauma may be authorized any treatment indicated as reasonably necessary for the correction of such service-connected noncompensable condition or disability.

(d) Class II( b ). Those having a service-connected noncompensable dental condition or disability and who had been detained or interned as prisoners of war for a period of less than 90 days may be authorized any treatment as reasonably necessary for the correction of such service-connected dental condition or disability.

(Authority: Pub. L. 100–322; 38 U.S.C. 1712( b )(l)(F))

(e) Class II©. Those who were prisoners of war for 90 days or more, as determined by the concerned military service department, may be authorized any needed dental treatment.

(Authority: Pub. L. 100–322, 38 U.S.C. 1712( b )(1)(F))

(f) Class IIR (Retroactive). Any veteran who had made prior application for and received dental treatment from the Department of Veterans Affairs for noncompensable dental conditions, but was denied replacement of missing teeth which were lost during any period of service prior to his/her last period of service may be authorized such previously denied benefits under the following conditions:

(1) Application for such retroactive benefits is made within one year of April 5, 1983.

(2) Existing Department of Veterans Affairs records reflect the prior denial of the claim.

All Class IIR (Retroactive) treatment authorized will be completed on a fee basis status.

(g) Class III. Those having a dental condition professionally determined to be aggravating disability from an associated service-connected condition or disability may be authorized dental treatment for only those dental conditions which, in sound professional judgment, are having a direct and material detrimental effect upon the associated basic condition or disability.

(h) Class IV. Those whose service-connected disabilities are rated at 100% by schedular evaluation or who are entitled to the 100% rate by reason of individual unemployability may be authorized any needed dental treatment.

(i) Class V. A veteran who is participating in a rehabilitation program under 38 U.S.C. chapter 31 may be authorized such dental services as are professionally determined necessary for any of the reasons enumerated in §17.47(g).

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1712( b ) ; chapter 31)

(j) Class VI. Any veterans scheduled for admission or otherwise receiving care and services under chapter 17 of 38 U.S.C. may receive outpatient dental care which is medically necessary, i.e. , is for dental condition clinically determined to be complicating a medical condition currently under treatment.

[20 FR 9505, Dec. 20, 1955, as amended at 26 FR 11214, Nov. 28, 1961; 27 FR 11424, Nov. 20, 1962; 29 FR 18219, Dec. 23, 1964; 32 FR 13817, Oct. 4, 1967; 33 FR 5300, Apr. 3, 1968; 45 FR 47680, July 16, 1980; 48 FR 16681, Apr. 19, 1983; 49 FR 5617, Feb. 14, 1984; 54 FR 25449, June 15, 1989; 57 FR 4367, Feb. 5, 1992; 57 FR 41701, Sept. 11, 1992. Redesignated and amended at 61 FR 21965, 21968, May 13, 1996; 73 FR 58876, Oct. 8, 2008]

• HadIt.com Elder

I think Halos is on to something. Like I said the VA guards dental care like FT Knox. The VA can't deny voc rehab because you are working. I got it when I worked for the Post Office. I was 30%. I think I would try again for voc rehab and then get the dental work done. I get dental done at my VAMC and the dental hygenist tells me that the only people she works on are 100% vets. I know guys who are discharaged get a one time dental fix, but after that it is almost all 100% vets. My VAMC is the busiest in the nation and their dental dept. is tiny. The demand is huge. You would have an easier time robbing a bank than getting dental care.