Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Help Selecting Someone To Represent Me?

Rate this question

TANKERJOE0

Question

hi, i have filed several different claims all by myself and have had some results with the ratings.

but i have alot of issues appeals/denials that i need help with and think i will be much better represented by an organization that helps vets with there claims??

can anybody suggest what organization i can request help from.

there is an office at my va outpaitent clinic that people use for there claims???

but im under the impression they work with the va and not the veterans???

thanks for any input anyone may have.

i am in jacksonville, florida.

thanks

tankerjoe

SEMPER FIDELIS !!!!! (ALWAYS FAITHFUL)

***THE FEW THE PROUD THE MARINES***

NOT AS LEAN BUT STILL AS MEAN.

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My memory isn't that good, but didn't you have a tbi claim?

Go to the American Veterans with Brain Injuries web site. There is a link to it in the tbi forum. Post a mesage on the forums and maybe visit the chat room. The site administrator-founder of the association, is in florida and is very knowledgable and helpfull to tbi vets and may have good contacts in florida. She has gone through the proccess with her son.

Okay, I checked. It seems I'm rememdering the wrong 'tanker'.

Edited by timetowinarace

hi, timetowinarace. thanks for your response.

no i dont have tbi.

i do suffer from ptsd and other desert storm related issues.

other then the org. you reccomended.

do you suggest any other service orgs??

vfw,disabled american vets,or any others????

thanks so much for any help you may have.

alot of people have read my post but have not responded ??

tankerjoe0

I suggest you schedule an appointment with any one of the large organizations to get their opinion on where your claim stands. *I really believe it is the "INDIVIDUAL" service officer that works for the organization---not the organization itself that obtains results. **Talk to at least two of the organizations if you go that route (or more). Don't let them submit paper work, just get their opinion. Then and only then, if you are comfortable with what they told you or have explained to you,---then let them submit what they suggest. I've found that many/most of the large organization service officers like to take the "slam dunk" claims. If your claim requires research and foot work, you are "SOL" with most service officers. Also, if you have been successful on your own in the past---go for it. **Attorneys are available to represent you. However, I just recently tried the attorney route with the Bd of Veterans Appeals. I obtained the name of an attorney from NOVA-National Organization Of Veterans Advocates. When I contacted him, he told "me" to fill out the I-9 appeal form and submit it. What the heck?? I couldn't fire him fast enough. I've been successful at the BVA before on my own---and if I lose, I'll hire an attorney to represent me at the Vet's Court level. **Hadit is a great cite with some very knowledgeable/helpful people. Keep reading and research--you can do it.

TANKERJOE0

can anybody suggest what organization i can request help from.

It's very hard to give advice on a good service organization that will actually fight and do what they are supposed to do. You have good and bad, you have to try your luck. You can always ask your question here leaving out any personal information like: name and social security number. Hadit can give you a lot of good information then it would be up to you to move forward. The best representative will most likely be yourself because you know what you are going through, you just need to start reading the CFR 38 Part 4 that pertains to your disabilities.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to hadit

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

thank you sooo much vmo for your suggestions and encouragement.

thanks also to you pete992.

ive tried my best so far.

but i feel like its getting to be to much for me to handle. :(

tankerjoe0

It is important when you seek assistance of a VSO that you inquire approximately how many vets they are representing, some statistics involving their cases ie won/lost/appeals/bva, etc, legnth of time claim status takes(approximate ie 1 yr-up).

How long they have been a VSO, see if others recommend them, their training/certification, ...

You will find as many here post, no one will fight for your claim as well as you. I discovered that about 2 yrs post signing my POA with a VSO. (never thought to ask any of these questions, only after wondering why things were not progressing, I found out over 5,000 vets were being represented by 2 plus 2 sec staff) After receiving few very few phone call returns, nothing to basically advise me what to do, when to do it, how to do it...

I searched the internet, and bought many books on Veterans disability claim and processes especially all of John D. Roche books and begain MY OWN JOURNEY...it is an ongoing process...I searched, and researched and continue to read and examine old BVA cases, the search is never ending! Sites as vawatchdog.org (Larry Scott and Jim Strickland), hadit,(tbird and all members), veretans resources, vets at yuku, col dan and many more other groups and people have opened my eyes to all the education that is out there for ME to find and perfect my claims.

No one person is as good as one site,but the abundance of time the people on the sites give and the sharing of experiences and regulatory processes is what assists one greatly in the claims development and process.

Call the states veterans commission and feel them out too. Those I talked to were surprised I knew what I did and said there was nothing they would do differently, in fact one of them told me I was more versed in the claims processes than she, and she has been doing this almost 4 years as her full time job. Also they said they never delt with a claim that was as complicated as mine with the antics the VA did with it either.

So talk to different reps and seek what they know...you can always go it alone and seek an attorney when the time is right for you...whatever you think. Good luck. :(