• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Organizing Records

Rate this question

Vync

Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hello everyone,

I have copies of my service medical records, (most of my) private treatment records, and what I believe to be all of my VA treatment records. I am trying to sort these things out as effectively as possible.

Suggestions welcomed! If someone has a better system, please share it!

- Create separate folders/binders for each condition (back, foot, etc...)

- Separate administrative items (shipping receipts, etc...) from actual treatment records

- Copy pages with multiple conditions and file an individual copy in each folder

- Check the back of every page and copy pages with multiple conditions and file an individual copy in each folder

- Anything (non-lab) that does not fit into a particular folder goes into a 'misc' folder

- Anything lab that does not fit into a particular folder goes into a 'misc lab' folder

- Entrance and ETS physicals go into their own folder

- Sort each page in every folder

- Build an inventory sheet for every folder to be kept in each folder (and also kept in a master inventory folder)

- Alphabetize each folder (keeping medical separated from non-medical)

- Use color-coded tabs

- Use colored highlighters

- Make separate note sheet to look up symbols and terms that I do not understand.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Mentally I am organized about how to fight the VA, but in the physical world I am just a mess. I do have all my decisions and a file cabinet for VA matters. I envy organized people. I stay mentally organized by posting on Hadit and reading other posters.

• HadIt.com Elder
Mentally I am organized about how to fight the VA, but in the physical world I am just a mess. I do have all my decisions and a file cabinet for VA matters. I envy organized people. I stay mentally organized by posting on Hadit and reading other posters.

Ditto..

• HadIt.com Elder
Hello everyone,

I have copies of my service medical records, (most of my) private treatment records, and what I believe to be all of my VA treatment records. I am trying to sort these things out as effectively as possible.

- Separate administrative items (shipping receipts, etc...) from actual treatment records

- Copy pages with multiple conditions and file an individual copy in each folder

- Check the back of every page and copy pages with multiple conditions and file an individual copy in each folder

- Anything (non-lab) that does not fit into a particular folder goes into a 'misc' folder

- Anything lab that does not fit into a particular folder goes into a 'misc lab' folder

- Build an inventory sheet for every folder to be kept in each folder (and also kept in a master inventory folder)

- Use color-coded tabs

- Make separate note sheet to look up symbols and terms that I do not understand.

I recommend against use of highlighters since they interfere with clarity of a document when it is photocopied. You may have to send copies of these records to V.A. in support of a claim. I also recommend that you arranged all records in chronological order. I think you should also request a copy of your claims file from V.A.

• HadIt.com Elder
I recommend against use of highlighters since they interfere with clarity of a document when it is photocopied. You may have to send copies of these records to V.A. in support of a claim. I also recommend that you arranged all records in chronological order. I think you should also request a copy of your claims file from V.A.

If you have a working copy of your records that are staying with you, highlight that set for your own information. If you send a set to the VA then in your cover letter list the various proofs but let them look it up. Highlighting is not necessary because you have it listed in your report.

Let them do their job with your records. BUT it never hurts to point them towards proofs. They know and you know that certain information is there and where to find it. At least the information has been brought to their attention.

You have a lot better system than me but mine works good for me. I have separate files for each condition with all pertinent evidence in each file for that one condition.

Jerr

Hello everyone,

- Use color-coded tabs

You have a lot better system than me but mine works good for me. I have separate files for each condition with all pertinent evidence in each file for that one condition.

Jerr

Same here I keep mine by condition. Every transaction and piece of paper pertaining to a paticular condition is in one folder, chrono. I also am currently copying each of those folder into a PDF and filing on my computer and backup drive. Wow this is just our personal folders - can you imagine what the VA goes through since they are not computerized????? It is a shame they do not get up to speed with the rest of the world.