Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

How Long Does It Normally Take?

Rate this question

Shalia

Question

I'm currently working, but I'm barely holding on. I'm missing more days at work than I'm showing up, I'm late nearly every single day, I'm downright shocked I still have a job. I've honestly used up more than double the available sick days <I have a very lenient boss> and all my vacation time for the year, and it's mid April.

I'm rated at 80% overall with 70% for Bipolar 1. I've been hospitalized five times in the last 2.5 years for psychotic manias and mixed episodes, and I feel myself going down down down really quickly here.

But I'm right now the only breadwinner for our family, and I'm scared to death. The last two times I've had anything to do with the VA they've been really quick and given me what I need, and I know <cause I'm neurotic about getting my med records> that my pdoc at the VA keeps putting in her notes that she recommends I quit work, but I can't AFFORD to be out of work for very long.

So what do I do? How long does this take? <OK, on a *very* wide margined average, of course!>

Is there any way to take care of your family if you then end up at 100%? Do they get mad at you if you go to school? Does that count against you? I have a husband with muscular dystrophy and a son who's autistic that can't go through life without medical care, is there any medical care available? Or do they just throw extra money at the problem and pretend that the fact that I can't freaking work isn't effecting my families insurance?

Can anyone give guidance here? Who I talk to? Where I go? What I do? If it's just a pipe dream anyways cause I never went into combat so I shouldn't whine anyways? Something?

FTR, my GAF scores average between 35 & 45. I came on here about a year and a half ago or something and someone told me those were important. So now I try and remember them. B) I don't know if that's low enough to count or not.

Hell, I feel low enough to count, should mean something.

Any answers to my very rambly questions? <It's late at night, too much Klonopin, still can't sleep, getting manicky, sorry for the length. But if anyone has read this far and will help me, you have my eternal gratitude.>

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Shalia- you described the rock and hard place that other vets find themselves in-when a doc says they cannot or should not continue to work-

Certainly you should apply for TDIU as soon as you leave your employer-and SSA too-

with the Social security Disability benefit (and I assume you would eligible) and the VA TDIU- that would help-

A VA TDIU award can be used to support the SSA award and vice versa-

You sound like you have good evidence that should help your VA claim a lot for TDIU- but here in New York it takes them from 4 months to 3 years on TDIU claims-

However-in your case ,with bonafide strong statement from your doctor, and certainly the meds must affect you too-it might not take too long- then again-

'not too long' is so difficult to determine-an emploer's statement would help move this TDIU claim along too-

Is your husband eligible for SSA disability?

If you receive an SSA award I certainly believe they would send him an award also on your record and even one for your child, if under 16 years of age.

The VA is going to look at any hospitalizations, treatment sessions, and your on the job problems since the grant of the 80%, and if you send them the most critical evidence right away ,it will decrease the time this type of award can take.

Does your employer have any sort of disability plan that they could put you on as you wait out TDIU?

By the way- you dont have to answer- but if you are making less then poverty level income-on your job- then apply for TDIU ASAP.(or of your pay is docked for time off -it might well be less annual income overall than you think-

Thanks for coming aboard here veteran- you are dealing with a lot.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Shalia- you described the rock and hard place that other vets find themselves in-when a doc says they cannot or should not continue to work-

Certainly you should apply for TDIU as soon as you leave your employer-and SSA too-

with the Social security Disability benefit (and I assume you would eligible) and the VA TDIU- that would help-

A VA TDIU award can be used to support the SSA award and vice versa-

You sound like you have good evidence that should help your VA claim a lot for TDIU- but here in New York it takes them from 4 months to 3 years on TDIU claims-

However-in your case ,with bonafide strong statement from your doctor, and certainly the meds must affect you too-it might not take too long- then again-

'not too long' is so difficult to determine-an emploer's statement would help move this TDIU claim along too-

Is your husband eligible for SSA disability?

If you receive an SSA award I certainly believe they would send him an award also on your record and even one for your child, if under 16 years of age.

The VA is going to look at any hospitalizations, treatment sessions, and your on the job problems since the grant of the 80%, and if you send them the most critical evidence right away ,it will decrease the time this type of award can take.

Does your employer have any sort of disability plan that they could put you on as you wait out TDIU?

By the way- you dont have to answer- but if you are making less then poverty level income-on your job- then apply for TDIU ASAP.(or of your pay is docked for time off -it might well be less annual income overall than you think-

Thanks for coming aboard here veteran- you are dealing with a lot.

No, actually I work for a defense contractor who is *very* generous and has 100% paid STD and 66% LTD. I've been on over 18 weeks STD in 2 years, just bipolar alone. Of that, 30 days of it was spent <broken up> in hospitals. And defense contractors pay electronics techs well. Even ones that don't show up. And *technically* we have "unlimited" sick leave so I just keep marking "SL" on my time cards and they keep signing it, even though it's probably 4 or 5 weeks just this year.

I didn't consider about Tyler or Randy being eligible for SSA. Right *now* I make too much, but if I'm not working, I wouldn't be. That might hold life together long enough. I doubt they'd give it to Randy. His muscular dystrophy doesn't effect things like his ability to type, so they think he should be able to get an office job. The fact that *he* can't mentally handle it doesn't seem to matter to SS <which to me actually seems more heartless than the VA.>

So, that's a really important thing to learn. I can be on STD and then on LTD and apply for TDIU at the same time? And then if I get an award, lose <heck, who's kidding ourselves here> LTD benefits at that time and switch to TDIU?

Thanks so much.

• HadIt.com Elder

Shalia

This is the perfect time to apply for TDIU since you have an income and it is based on your disability. This is proof that you are unemployable and you have some income to tide you over until you get IU from VA.