Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Freezing And Denied

Rate this question

Michellee

Question

Hey all,

Well that was pretty quick of a decision letter. I just had my SSD doc appointment on the 4th and the letter is dated the 10. It took them six days to deny me. I just dont understand that they say I am not disable enough not to work a job out there of some sort. I guess it would be ok by them to drink and drive as well. I mean its like they are saying regardless that I am on narcotics and taking psych meds that alter my consciousness that I should get in my car and drive off to work. The VA says I am unemployable and they say go to work. I am so upset right now and the darn furnace went out for good. The heating guy says the coil has rusted out and some other problems and it cant be patched up that we need a new furnace. So my husband and daughter have been burning wood in the fireplace to keep us some what warm but I am freezing at the moment and upset. We just cant afford a brand new or used furnace this winter. We will probally have to buy some heaters and burn wood. This is such a slap in the face with SSD I know its not uncommon to have them deny deny deny, but its still just seems so wrong. I will definetely put in an appeal for reconsideration. I wonder what additional info I could give them and how to I ask them to look at the additional info. I havent worked in a few years and I am in a wheelchair most of the day and have alot of spasm, pain, lack of concentration, depression, anxiety, so I guess according to the SSDI none of that means a grain of salt to them just go find work and pop my pills on the way. ;)

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hey all,

Well that was pretty quick of a decision letter. I just had my SSD doc appointment on the 4th and the letter is dated the 10. It took them six days to deny me. I just dont understand that they say I am not disable enough not to work a job out there of some sort. I guess it would be ok by them to drink and drive as well. I mean its like they are saying regardless that I am on narcotics and taking psych meds that alter my consciousness that I should get in my car and drive off to work. The VA says I am unemployable and they say go to work. I am so upset right now and the darn furnace went out for good. The heating guy says the coil has rusted out and some other problems and it cant be patched up that we need a new furnace. So my husband and daughter have been burning wood in the fireplace to keep us some what warm but I am freezing at the moment and upset. We just cant afford a brand new or used furnace this winter. We will probally have to buy some heaters and burn wood. This is such a slap in the face with SSD I know its not uncommon to have them deny deny deny, but its still just seems so wrong. I will definetely put in an appeal for reconsideration. I wonder what additional info I could give them and how to I ask them to look at the additional info. I havent worked in a few years and I am in a wheelchair most of the day and have alot of spasm, pain, lack of concentration, depression, anxiety, so I guess according to the SSDI none of that means a grain of salt to them just go find work and pop my pills on the way. ;)

Michelle would buying a new furnace qualify you for a tax credit that would make it cheaper, sure you spend the money now but you get it back when you file your taxes in form of rebate. Have you looked into that? I just had my exam today so I'm anxiously awaiting a decision back too. Wow less than a week that was lightening quick; sorry about the bad news the furnace and the decision, did you use a lawyer or go it alone?

Michellee,

It really amazes me how the VA and SSA are governmental agencies and although one has sc disabilities granted at 100% as you and then SSA denies it. I don't know but seems like I have noticed this trend longer, ie VA grants/SSA denies.

Sorry about your furnace too. We used one of those Eden pure heaters but they are about 300-400 each, but do a fairly decent job for about 1000sq ft. We closed off some rms, so heated the main ones with this. The regular electrical heaters may be cheaper, but they used many more kwt hrs and small space oriented.(we put some in other rms at night but set thermostat lower. We use propane and it is very expensive...just got a couple of hundred gallons and there went 400 dollars. So have used the Eden full time till we got some propane...and use the Eden daytime/evening and furnace and small space heaters at night when we are here.

Hope you can figure out something soon. Are there any agencies you might be able to get some type of assistance from in your area? I hope so, especiall if you live in a very cold climate, and because it is christmas time too.

Wow! That is sucky! Appealing is a good thing, but that takes some time. You also need to find ways to get through the moment. I am "furnaceless" at the moment too. Don't want to put much money into fixing this one if I will need a new one. But don't want to buy a new one in a rush. And if I call the repair guys - they want to start putting all kinds of parts on - without fixing the part that really needs to be replaced.

Not sure if you have the means to haul one - or know how to put one in - but I see lots of used (supposedly good) furnaces on Craiglist right now, since people are putting in newer ones for the tax rebate.

We tried heating with a fireplace during an ice storm - and it actually made the house colder unless the fire was blazing and you were sitting right in front of it.

I use a few of those radiator heaters - and just borrowed a Comfort Zone "portable furnace" from a friend. Was thinking of buying one - and she is letting me use hers. I am also learning to insulate better. Found some really neat ideas - like using bubble wrap on the windows.

I wish you well on your claim - and hope you find a way to stay warm in the meantime.

Free

tis the season for denial...i suppose like you i take 4 pain pills daily three psych pills one pill for panic attacks a pill for muscle spasms 3 huge ibuprofens and i got denied ssdi as well i still have not heard on my iu unfortunately i dont feel too good about any of this anymore. just a small whine but i would have thought a person with enough work credits and all that med, that makes it unsafe to drive would have been approved. anyway i really hope the best for you as it goes our family was hoping for the ssdi or iu before x-mas or we are being foreclosed on. no bailout for the disabled vets.......

Well the fireplace is blazing and I am a bit warmer and making the best of things. My husband says he's is going trying to take out a loan after the holidays to see about getting a furnace and probally do like you mention Navy Doc. BTW good luck on your exam. For us this loan is more debt and strain. We have about 3 space heaters that we borrowed from friends and they are all going right now and the oven is open on 400 degrees. So it'll do. The kids are bundle in jogging pants, socks and sweat shirts etc. Well I am going to file a reconsideration first and submit probally additional letters from the VA docs and then if that doesnt fly then I will hire a lawyer for the next level which is I believe is the ALJ and keep fighting with them. I know there are others in worse situations than I and waited alot longer for SSD, so I am just going to gear up for the fight as best I can. I am just really dissapointed right now. Erico I thought the same too. Yes it sucks Free spirit and I am really down right now about it all but I will make the best of it and wear lots of socks in the mean time. Anyways, happy holidays everyone and congrats to those who have been successful recently with SSD and VA. Thanks for all you guys support and guidance.