Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Commissary And Exchange Privileges

Rate this question

Kelly

Question

Well Rick way to go. we are all proud that you did your full 20. Just wondered what would make someone like you say that those of us that came out with disability's dont deserve on base privlages? I cant believe that a real vet would say that " I dont care how disabled they are" maybe I will ask my buddy who is a hospital corpsman 3rd class what his thoughts are on that . It would be an intresting responce since he lost his left leg pulling a marine out of a buring APV under fire. I will ask him at his 23rd birthday party next week. I think given the choice he would rather have his leg than have gotten out. You should be supporting anything positive that someone is doing for vets not splitting hairs on who was in longer so they get the bigger prize.

DOC

I've said it before I'll say it again. If you did not retire you should not be entitled to these benefits. This is just my opinion, but retirees worked for 20 plus years (in most cases) to be entitled to these and other benefits. I do not think someone who does two or three years should get these or other benefits, I don't care how disabled they are. These are called retirement benefits for a reason.

Guest allanopie

Rick,

If the law says a "disabled vet", has earned the benefit, be it 100% or 30%. Than they've earned it.

So, why do you feel these vets are not worthy of sharing the same benefit as those with "less" than 20 yrs of service again? I'm missing something here. Did you post any codes that state "only" retirees are entitled? I missed them if you did.

I've spent some time promoting retiree benefits, including their disability benefits. I'm not the only one. Many of us feel we're in this together & we should support each other. The disrespect I've seen on the internet by retirees toward the rest of us has made me stop & think.

Allan

Ok, when I said that Com and PX was not a retirement benefit I was stating that it was not "just" a retirement benefit. I was a DoD civilian working in Germany when I got out. I had an ID card and used all the facilities on base including medical. As a pay patient, but the VA covered that. For those civilains working in the Hospitalsor in remote locations, they also are authorized PX and commissary use. As are all civil service employees elsewhere allowed to shop in the exchanges with a dollor limit. Point being that for something that is said to ge a retirement benefit there are sure a lot of other people using the facilities already.

I see that the point I was trying to make that retirees and disabled vets fighting between themselve is going to carry on right here.

When I started this petition and asked for help passing it on to others I was not looking to start a conflict between retirees and other vets. All I asked was that if you are interested in the cause was to please pass the word about the petition. If you don't agree with the House Resolution of other versions of legislation, please don't sign, but I am sure you know someone who agrees with it. Be a friend to them and give them a chance to fight for themselves. They will fight for you if you need it. Retirees are getting the shaft on a daily bases and it is so wrong in so many ways. This country was defended by ALL vets not just retirees and half of the vets (disabled vets) are getting the biggest shaft. Ask a disabled vet about heathcare. Hell, MEDICAID recipients that dont even know what a uniform looks like get better health benefits then disabled vets.

Gentalman, please pass this petition on whether you agree or not, let those what to fight for themselve have the chance. It will only benefit all vets in the end.

Rambling from here on.

One last note. Congress debated contracting out the exchanges and commissary to contractor to boost sales that have been hurting DECA and the exchanges or the year due to the local ecomony selling larger volume at lower prices. This debate is not dead by any means.

http://www.house.gov/hasc/openingstatement...-03johnson.html

In case you have not been in a PX/BX lately, most of the items in there are luxury items that the base CO's spouses select from the PX/BX system for sell. Most if not all are higher priced them the local Wal-Mart. The only attraction the PX/BX has is the DPP charge cards that get the servicemembers deep in a financial hole earily in their careers buying over priced and extravegant items that they do not need.

Hi everyone, guess I dont have a lot to say on this topic but to say I am able to use the BX. If I go to Walmart people look at me weird but on the base no one stares and everyone is really nice to me and I can shop in an environment that I like being in with people that understand where I'm coming from. Military, retirees, and veterans of all types are more like my family than my real family today. thats all I have to say, thanks..

Bicvic 100% P/T Severe Spinal Canal Stenosis

P.S. My caretaker is typing this stuff for me so a lot of times if I cant respond immediately please be a good patient like me OK...

I know Rick. I was just making a point that it is not "just" a retirement benefit. There are circumstances where others are entitled use of the facilities. One of those circumstances should include disabled vets.

Edited by Kelly

Hi everyone, guess I dont have a lot to say on this topic but to say I am able to use the BX. If I go to Walmart people look at me weird but on the base no one stares and everyone is really nice to me and I can shop in an environment that I like being in with people that understand where I'm coming from. Military, retirees, and veterans of all types are more like my family than my real family today. thats all I have to say, thanks..

Bicvic 100% P/T Severe Spinal Canal Stenosis

P.S. My caretaker is typing this stuff for me so a lot of times if I cant respond immediately please be a good patient like me OK...

Vic, we should be more like a familiy but we are fighting a war against government to get things we feel we are entitled to. The retirees want concurrent receipt and the disabled vets want anything that shows the federal governement care at all. In fighting for what each group wants, we tend to fight against each other. Just like the different Departments ie Dept of the Navy, Dept of the Army.... fighting for money from congress and in doing so tend to fight amongst each other to get what they want. And we all know that the Air Force always wins. Just kidding AF.