Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression

Rate this question

ScottCGAS

Question

I have been having problems with getting angry or short with people. I researched some posts, and there was a link in an ad to a Depression Self Help Test and the results said I was moderately depressed. Can constant back pain and always snorting and sniffing and waking up congested, lead to depression or work on your mind. Other people have said constant pain has lead to anxiety or depression. Thanks in advance.

• Answers 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

In responce to Jayg, I'm glad you have toughed it out for 50yrs.. I have never made light of yours or anyone elses disabilities. Some people can swim a mile, some can't swim at all...
I had no intention of making light of your condition. Put that way I can see how it could have been taken as such. My apologies.

Concerning the fluid collecting when you sleep, Here's a few tricks for dealing drug free with sinus problems. I hope they may help ease the discomfort...

I have a good size wedge I sleep on to keep my head and shoulders elevated. It helps keep the crud from pooling. You can also suck hot water up your nose and blow- it flushes out considerably more than just blowing. You can get "sterile saline" nose spray bottles (no drugs- just salt water) at the drug store (or most any chain store's pharmacy dept.)

There is a type of bath additive for kids in the children's bath ilse of those stores. In a hot bath it does wonders to help dry up sinus passageways.

As for getting your paperwork to VARO- you could use your VSO or not as you choose. I was signed up with the Texas Vet Comm. but sent most things to VARO myself and through my county VSO. I would have the county guy fax my paper work and I mailed it certified with return receipt so they had to sign for it. I really didn't use the TVC guy until I had a DRO hearing and he was very helpful at the end.

There's no right or wrong way to do it. just what you feel most comfortable with.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

If you are SC for sinus problems (like me), you can have your VA PCP prescribe bottles of saline spray and decongestants. My doc also sent me a bunch of liter bottles of 0.9% sodium chloride solution. He told me to go to a local pharmacy and buy a "neti pot". It looks like a little tea kettle, but you warm the saline and flush your sinuses with it daily. Saline solution is much better than straight water.

Also, check your pillow! One of my friends in the military had a feather pillow, but did not know he was allergic to feathers. When he would go to bed, he would clog up pretty quick. You also might be allergic to dust mites. These things are microscopic, look creepy, and practically live in your sheets and pillows. I wash mine on a sanitize cycle twice a month. If you notice the problem only when you lay down, these might be the causes...

ScottCGAS,

Yes, I would likely recommend a VSO for you. People on this board with much experience with the VA can often do much better on their own, but if you dont even know your RO address, or what an RO is, then my opinion is that you should get a VSO help you.

If you want to do it on your own, download form 21-4138, print it out, and write on it,

"I want to apply for the VA benefit of depression. I was prescribed anti depressant medication by.....Doctor, and am seeking treatment at the VA for it as I write this."

Send your completed form, Certified Mail Return REceipt Requested, to your RO AFTER you make a copy of it, because the VA is famous for loosing our claims. Expect the VA to send you a letter acknowledging your claim within a couple months (VCAA letter). If you do not get this letter, your claim was probably already lost or shredded, so send it again, being sure to mention that you sent the first request on .....date certified mail, and you have a green card from the post office that it was received by the RO. COUNT on the VA to loose at least some of your paperwork, you will rarely be disappointed.

Of course, as was already suggested, see your prime care doc at the VA, and ask for a mental health doc referral. Then call mental health and ask for an appointment with the doctor. When you see the doctor, read what the doc says about your visit, after you see your doc. See if the doc is what I call "Veteran friendly". That is, did the doc write in your chart what you told him about your depression likely related to service connected conditions? If he did not write that, or if he says something like, "patient reports depression caused by SC conditions, but it appears his depression is unrelated to military service", then get a different doc. That one is not "Veteran friendly". He is out to meet his 'denial quota' at the VA and is not interested in helping you.

ScottCGAS,

Yes, I would likely recommend a VSO for you. People on this board with much experience with the VA can often do much better on their own, but if you dont even know your RO address, or what an RO is, then my opinion is that you should get a VSO help you.

If you want to do it on your own, download form 21-4138, print it out, and write on it,

"I want to apply for the VA benefit of depression. I was prescribed anti depressant medication by.....Doctor, and am seeking treatment at the VA for it as I write this."

Send your completed form, Certified Mail Return REceipt Requested, to your RO AFTER you make a copy of it, because the VA is famous for loosing our claims. Expect the VA to send you a letter acknowledging your claim within a couple months (VCAA letter). If you do not get this letter, your claim was probably already lost or shredded, so send it again, being sure to mention that you sent the first request on .....date certified mail, and you have a green card from the post office that it was received by the RO. COUNT on the VA to loose at least some of your paperwork, you will rarely be disappointed.

Of course, as was already suggested, see your prime care doc at the VA, and ask for a mental health doc referral. Then call mental health and ask for an appointment with the doctor. When you see the doctor, read what the doc says about your visit, after you see your doc. See if the doc is what I call "Veteran friendly". That is, did the doc write in your chart what you told him about your depression likely related to service connected conditions? If he did not write that, or if he says something like, "patient reports depression caused by SC conditions, but it appears his depression is unrelated to military service", then get a different doc. That one is not "Veteran friendly". He is out to meet his 'denial quota' at the VA and is not interested in helping you.

Great advice.

I forgot to mention it but as Bronco said, get copies of all your hospital/Med Center/Clinic/et al visits. If your visit is in the morning, you can often get the records before you leave. Just go to that facility's release of information office. They'll usually have the forms you need right their- they're one page and simple. I usually simply request "all records generated X to X (dates of treatment). If you have a lot of pages you'll have to leave the request with them and they'll mail them to you. But catching it every visit, they'll crank them out for you right there. (At least they will where I go.) This is very important because as ooften as not what is printed is not what you said or what you heard said and those records are what the raters will be looking at.

For instance I have a hard time deciding what I feel on the pain scale. So once I said it was 4-6. They recorded only "4".

Another thing is that I use a walker to navigate the hospital- Very often I'll find the visit's checklist for ambulatory aid has not been checked.

Then it can get downright dishonest. When once I fell, I twisted my ankle. It was bruised, stiff and swollen. I hobbled into er leaning both on my cane* and the wall. It was all I could do to get to the check in desk. The record for the visit? They did not check use of a cane and said,"Pt walks easily w/out discomfort." :( :(

I submitted that for correction pointing out the diagnosis was a "sprain" and one does not walk easily w/out discomfort, on a sprained ankle! They did change it.

* I only use the walker if I'm going to be moving around a big place on foot.

So you see, you want those records!

Edited by Jayg

I didn't know that they would prescribe saline in bottles. I always mix my own using Kosher salt(pure salt no additives) and warm water, big inconveinence when traveling. The neti pot seems like it might be easier that trying to mix up solution and pour it into a red hot water bottle and douche my nose out like I have been doing.

And Jayg, I forgot to mention I used to elevate my head years ago, but since a neck fusion in 1997 it is painful to keep my neck bent and aggravates my arthritis in my neck.( I accept all apologies Jayg) My right sinus usually fills up first, if I lay on my side I will wake up stiff and sore. Between my neck, back, and sinuses I feel like I'm 20yrs older than I am. Not to mention my tinnitis that I'm waiting on.

First time I heard of going to the release of information office, did not know that you could get copies of what you said so soon. This site is a Treasure Chest of information. I can see now that like I have read you yourself have to stay on top of your claim, do not leave to your VSO, or VA doc to get it right.

Not to get off track but, in regards to my tinnutis claim, has anyone heard of what is going on with the following?

Thank you all, for all the info, I can see the VA system can be some tough waters to navigate!

VFW R 617spacer.gifspacer.gif

Resolution No. 617

PRESUMPTIVE SERVICE CONNECTION

FOR TINNITUS AND HEARING LOSS

I am educated, and feel at one time I had al my smarts, but being very sick and on heavy meds, my smarts are clouded and my mental condition is not well, as being on heavy meds and having been through so much hell and in severe pain for so many years..

I am in no shape to try to play legal cousel for myself, and try to win a claim, fill out pparers, do research and try to understand the language of government forms..

therefore, I woul not think it smart, for me, and probably people like me to go this process alone..

the VSO knows their job, knows the system, and the more help and iformation I can give my VSO the better they can help me in my fight..

If a vet feels they can do this on their own, that's fine.. al the power to them..

but if you are under stress, and ina condition like I am I would defintely have help..

Just my opinion..

I understand what you are saying,,

yes, you are your own responsibility..

but... all help is welcome..

If you are using a VSO for claims issues then I would use them

with all claims issues BUT I personally don't use

VSO's anymore for anything.

Ultimately all claimants are responsible for their claims.

jmho,

carlie