Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Akwidow

Rate this topic

akwidow

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I came home from a winter walk today to find a large envelope in the mail...and found my long awaited reward. Service connection for cause of death was granted!!!!!!!!!

PTSD did in fact contribute to my late husband's death, and the BVA recognized my evidence as enough to overcome the Reasonable Doubt and I got my DIC!!!!!!!

I am still shaking...and I realize how lucky I am because I did this without any formal IMO. The letters from my husbands friends, treating physicians in our little town and my statements and lay observations were enough for them to make their decision.

After I stopped jumping up and down you here were the first people I wanted to tell so here I am.

It goes to show that keeping records, or gathering them afterwards as it was in my case, and never giving up were what it took to get my DIC granted.

I want to thank all of you who reached out to me - Berta - Wings - Pete53 - Carly - and anybody else who kept me bouyed emotionally - with all my heart and soul. I had filed most of my papers before I found Hadit in February 2009, so I couldn't use what I learned here as more than an anchor to keep me from drowning in self doubt; but what I did learn was that I was on the right track and to keep going at them.

I was able to use the wisdom I learned here to write my last brief after the final SSOC came out in October 2009 and I sent in my papers and asked to be sent to the BVA as Wings suggested within the 30 days they gave me to respond.

Did I say I was jumping up and down loud enough!!!! I feel 20 years old again!

I look forward to getting my financial reward as well as the education benefits, Champus medical and whatever else I have coming.

He would be so proud of me....I find it ironic that today is the six year anniversary of his death. I am going to light a candle for him.

Your friend AkWidow

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations! :(

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use