Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Changing My Classification From Lumbosacral Strain To Ivds

Rate this question

mikep23661

Question

I was told that I should file a claim changing my classification from Lumbosacral strain to IVDS by one of the poster on the site. My questions are how should I go about doing that and will that hurt my "secondary issues" associated with lumbosacral strain? Thanks to all who help out.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I was told that I should file a claim changing my classification from Lumbosacral strain to IVDS by one of the poster on the site. My questions are how should I go about doing that and will that hurt my "secondary issues" associated with lumbosacral strain? Thanks to all who help out.

Actually you can't change your diagnoses or classification of your rating. What happends is when you put in a new claim for your back the rater decides which diagnoses gives you a higher rating. But your medical records will have to show that you have degenerative disc disease before a change to diagnoses and rating could take place. Now it is possible ( but unlikely) that the claim you have for secondary issues will set in motion a relook at the back issue.

I know in my case this is how I went from lambosacral strain to IVDS.

Actually you can't change your diagnoses or classification of your rating. What happends is when you put in a new claim for your back the rater decides which diagnoses gives you a higher rating. But your medical records will have to show that you have degenerative disc disease before a change to diagnoses and rating could take place. Now it is possible ( but unlikely) that the claim you have for secondary issues will set in motion a relook at the back issue.

Oh, ok. So that reclass. is out of my hands then right?

• HadIt.com Elder

Teac, thank you for the good response. Reading this has me wondering and researching on my degenertive disk disease d'3, I am only rated for lumbar strain and not d'3, even though its diagnosed.

I have heard of claims re-looking at primary conditions even though claimed for secondary. Anythings possible. I think it may help to claim clearly for a primary or secondary condition Not sure, no IVDS claim myself .....yet.

Best to ya Mikep

Cowgirl

Edited by cowgirl

• HadIt.com Elder

It is rated the same anywway as IVDS. The VA will commonly use the strain word if you use it when you file as you file for back strain. here is no rating for strain. It is either IVDS or Traumatic arthritis depending on your official diagnosis.

They VA will even go to say that your service connection for IVDS (Claimed as back strain) was or was not related to service.

J