Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Dav Response To Veterans Commission Review

Rate this question

Bound4heaven

Question

Greetings to all,

This just out from the DAV. I contacted the Rep: Steve Buyer from Indiana who appears to hate veterans. His office will not even respond to this issue. I feel that in it's self is a small victory. I informed the receptionist Mr Buyer has woken a sleeping giant, and how can Rep. Buyer sleep at night knowing what he is trying to do to the very men and women he has sworn to protect. More on this issue go www.VAwatchdog.org, or www.DAV.org. God bless you all..

Bound4Heaven

DISABLED AMERICAN VETERANS

Building Better Lives for America's Disabled Veterans

Commission May Punish Disabled Vets

By Arthur H. Wilson, National Adjutant

Ever since legislation creating the Veterans? Disability Benefits Commission was passed, there have been concerns about whether the deck is stacked against veterans. And after a year of meetings, site visits, field hearings and public comment, it is still an open question. That?s understandable, considering the political climate in which the commission operates.

The 13-member panel was established after some rather heavy-handed attempts at sweeping changes to veterans disability compensation failed in Congress. However, the same political forces are still at work, both on and off Capitol Hill, making it difficult for disabled veterans to remain optimistic about the outcomes.

Optimism was in short supply at the commission?s March 16-17 meeting as some of its members maneuvered to authorize collecting data about Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits paid to veterans who also receive VA disability compensation. That was done with a view toward an offset of disability insurance if the veteran receives disability compensation from the VA.

A move to sidestep proper procedures and hold a secret ballot on the matter was postponed, but the issue is expected to resurface at the commission?s meeting in May. If so, it could lay the groundwork for cutting or eliminating veterans benefits as a way of saving the government money.

The idea that disability compensation is some kind of income security or welfare program cheapens the service and sacrifice of disabled veterans. That kind of thinking might also open the door to cutting off VA compensation when a disabled veteran becomes eligible for Social Security retirement benefits.

Veterans benefits are separate and distinct from Social Security, so receiving payments under both programs is not dual compensation for the same disability, as some have tried to argue.

Service-connected disability compensation from the VA is an earned benefit, awarded only on the basis of eligibility to a special class of persons. Payments under this program are recompense from the government for the life-long effects and consequences of a disabled veteran?s extraordinary sacrifice in service to our nation. And a service-connected disability doesn?t magically disappear when a veteran has a job, either.

SSDI benefits, on the other hand, are not compensation for a disability, but rather cash payments to a person who is unable to work for a year or more because of a disability. Most U.S. workers who have paid Social Security taxes are covered by the program. Benefits usually continue until the person is able to work again on a regular basis. When a person receiving Social Security disability benefits reaches retirement age, those benefits automatically convert to Social Security retirement benefits.

Rather than protecting the public purse, implementing a policy regarding offsets to VA disability compensation and Social Security disability and retirement benefits would have the effect of punishing disabled veterans. I can think of no greater insult to the men and women whose service and sacrifice have kept America free and safe. We are mindful that this is only in the discussion stage, but I would hope that the Veterans? Disability Benefits Commission would reject even the suggestion of such an ill-advised scheme.

http://www.dav.org/news/news_20060502.html

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, I guess the DAV is good for something. We need an organization with some clout to stand up for us as we stand up for ourselves. I am a life member of the DAV. I have had some pretty awful representation on claims from these guys but no one listens to individual veterans.

Well, I guess the DAV is good for something. We need an organization with some clout to stand up for us as we stand up for ourselves. I am a life member of the DAV. I have had some pretty awful representation on claims from these guys but no one listens to individual veterans.

Dear John999,

I am as well a life member and as you have had no good expirences with DAV, however at lest they came out with a response, and I cannot say that about the other So's. Most big companies support disabled Veterans on paper, however on this issue they are more then likely stay far away from it. We cannot give in to them. I believe in one day I was able to make a good start on behalf of myself and all Disabled Veterans who receive SSD, and all who will one day apply.

I got my auto e-mail set up to send out 10 e-mails a day to all the members of the Veterans Comission and our president, vice president, VA head cheese, and my Governor, and all US Senators. I will not go down without a fight. If all of us here at had it would contact our federal senators they would know we are on this issue, however if we do not make big noise, well then we know the outcome. I contacted my local paper's editor (good friend) who is going to start printing this issue and expose all the senators who agree and oppose it. Keep those e-mails going John999. This is how we must all look at our claims at the VARO. We must use every thing we can. God bless you all.

Bound4Heaven

Dear Fellow Veterans & Friends.

This stunt emotonally hurt allot of veterans. It looks like its illegal and does not have legislative support. The commission has lost its crediblity and looks like a bunch bullys stealing lunch money from the weaker kids.

Title 38 allows VA Sec Nickolson to change title 38 at his chooseing. Can he take away our comp by changing title 38?

Terry Higgins

Dear Terry,

Good points. However from what I have come to understand it has little to do with the VA Comp then it has to do with Social Security and Severely Disabled Vets who may be getting both. Social Security and VA comp are 2 totally different programs one is only open to a few and the other is open to all who have paid in and have that right to use if a person beocmes severely disabled. So here comes the Veterans Comission telling us that we don't have the same right as as the rest of America.

Thats my perception of it anyway. This has been a ploy by the current administration to try and get as much money raised as possible for the war effort or pork belly handouts which this president is noted for.

I guess I am tired of it Terry. I am tired of seeing thousands of vets and disabled vets get shortchanged once again by our goverment. Let me asked this of you and all others who mught read this post. Remember when we raised our right hand and took the oath and ended it with so help me God? I took that oath seriously, but the problem is our goverment did not take is seriously, and because of that attitute we have the veterans commission sneaking through the back door just like a fox stealing the hens at night while the farmer sleeps. Not just sneaking through the back door but breaking laws as they go and in reality no one from the congress really cares, my senator told me he cares, howver he has known about this issue for over a year and he has not came out public on it at all. He plays a good game when a disabled vet (me) contacted him. However we must continue to do what is right reguardless of what others are doing. Just like with the VARO. If we would have listened to their foolishness when we all first started the claims process probally none of us would have ever gotten our deserved benefits. Thank you and God bless you all.

Bound4Heaven

Guest allanopie

Its a good feeling to read what the DAV submitted, but where is the rest? What happened to the PVA?, NVO, American Legion, VVA, VFW, etc?

I haven't heard of this administration cost recovery efforts with Haliberton, for delivering sewage to our troops, instead of "Potable" water for nearly a year, nor Halibertons financial responsibility toward their health care from bacterial exposure.

We need mandatory funding for the benefits we've already earned & paid for with our service to this country. And we need laws protecting our funding from these vulchers.

• HadIt.com Elder

If I send the DAV a check for $25 dollars where is that money going to go? Is it going to go to protect and fight for the rights of vets or is it going to the Bar Fund for the next convention? I hate being a sucker.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ha,ha maybe I will just keep my money in my pocket. I don't want the DAV guy who told me not to appeal my denial to get any money.