Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Asbestos Exposure Ct Scan

Rate this question

68mustang

Question

Earlier this month I went for a CT scan of the lungs to check for asbestos exposure and today I went to the doctor for a followup. The doctor showed me the report and on it states " the findings are consistent with very mild asbestos-related disease" and "there is no pleural thickening or true plaque formation". The impression states " mild pleural calcification as described above consistent with mild asbestos-related pleural disease and "there is no interstitial fibrosis". The doctor said that I had a mild case of asbestosis and to go back and see him in three months.

Back in 2002 I filed a claim for pulmonary fibrosis because the CT scan at the time stated that it showed pulmonary fibrosis. The claim was denied at that time. The claim was reopened last year by the VA when I asked for documents pertaining to the denied 2002 claim. I never requested that the claim be reopened. I have gone for VA C&P exams for other issues, but the VA decided not to send me for a C&P exam on the pulmonary fibrosis claim. I believe that the VA will make its decision based on the 2002 CT scan.

I sent the VA an IRIS request for an update on my claims and was told that it is at the rater for rating and decision.

Should I turn in the new evidence or wait to see if the VA denies the pulmonary fibrosis claim? The 2002 CT scan report makes no mention that it is related to asbestos exposure, while the new CT scan does. I don't want to delay the decisions on the other claims if I send the new evidence. Before I forget my Navy occupations BT and EN exposed me to asbestos. Thanks.

68mustang

• HadIt.com Elder

Boiler Technicians rank high on the list for asbestos exposure as the actual boilers and steam pipes are covered with asbestos.

An Engineman also is on the list.

Keep me posted on your claim. I am doing some research on it and I will send you some supporting Documentation.

J

• HadIt.com Elder
My friend, you have a diagnosis of Pulmonary Fibrosis and they denied your claim.

Did they conceed the asbestos exposure?

What was your Naval Rateing?

I would file to re-open this claim and I would get m y ducks in order because I think you have a Strong CUE claim.

It is imparative you be checked every couple of months becausde Asbestosis can turn into mesothelioma and you dont want that to happen.

We had a Heck of a SVR show on Asbestos a couple of weeks ago. We will do a follow up show and I am inviting you to call in with your story.

John

John - where did you find asbestosis can turn to mesothelioma??? It's my understanding that mesothelioma comes from exposure to a very specific type of asbestos and it can only be diagnosed w/a biopsy. I lost my Mom to meso.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder
John - where did you find asbestosis can turn to mesothelioma??? It's my understanding that mesothelioma comes from exposure to a very specific type of asbestos and it can only be diagnosed w/a biopsy. I lost my Mom to meso.

pr

Pr, How was your mom exposed. Prolonged exposure top certain types of Asbestos like Amosite and Chrysotile can be real bad.

Asbestosis sufferers develop Mesothelioma some years after diagnosis of Mesothelioma. There are 3 types of Mesothelioma.

Inhaling asbestos fibers can cause scar tissue (fibrosis) to form inside the lung. Scarred lung tissue does not expand and contract normally, and cannot perform gas exchange.

The severity of the disease depends on how long the person was exposed to asbestos and the amount inhaled. Often, symptoms and lung fibrosis do not occur and are not noticed for a period of 20 years or more after the asbestos exposure.

Asbestos fibers were commonly used in construction before 1975. Asbestos exposure occured in asbestos mining and milling industries, construction, fireproofing, and other industries. In families of asbestos workers, exposure can also occur from particles brought home on the worker's clothing.

Asbestos-related disease includes pleural plaques (calcification), malignant mesothelioma, and pleural effusion. Mesotheliomas may develop 20 - 40 years after exposure. Workers today are less likely to develop asbestos-related disease because of government regulations.

Cigarette smoking increases the risk of developing the disease.

Tests & diagnosis

When listening to the chest with a stethoscope (auscultation), the doctor may detect a crackling sound.

These tests may help diagnose the disease:

Chest x-ray

CT scan of the lungs

Gallium lung scan

Pulmonary function tests

Prognosis

The outcome depends on the duration and extent of the asbestos exposure. Patients who develop malignant mesothelioma have a poor probable outcome, with 75% of those affected dying within 1 year.

Edited by jbasser

"Should I turn in the new evidence or wait to see if the VA denies the pulmonary fibrosis claim? The 2002 CT scan report makes no mention that it is related to asbestos exposure, while the new CT scan does. I don't want to delay the decisions on the other claims if I send the new evidence."

I feel that I would rather have a decision held up in order to get critical evidence before them -than to get a denial that this new evidence could have altered.

Was this a private CT?

It seems to me this evidence should be put before the rater- do you have a vet rep?

If so can the rep fax the evidence directly to the rater?

As John asked-have they conceded your exposure yet?

"Should I turn in the new evidence or wait to see if the VA denies the pulmonary fibrosis claim? The 2002 CT scan report makes no mention that it is related to asbestos exposure, while the new CT scan does. I don't want to delay the decisions on the other claims if I send the new evidence."

I feel that I would rather have a decision held up in order to get critical evidence before them -than to get a denial that this new evidence could have altered.

Was this a private CT?

It seems to me this evidence should be put before the rater- do you have a vet rep?

If so can the rep fax the evidence directly to the rater?

As John asked-have they conceded your exposure yet?

Thank you all for your response and input.

It was a private CT scan. My Rep does not fax so I was thinking of sending it by mail or faxing it myself. Is there a particular form to use when sending it out? As for having conceded the exposure I believe they have in the 2002 denial. I am having a hard time finding the documents on that denial so I will have to get those from the VA.Again thanks to all of you for your input.

68mustang

• HadIt.com Elder

John, she was probably exposed thru various jobs she had. From when I figure the original exposure was it took about 49 yrs for it to show up. She died within a yr. There was a cigarette manufacturer that used asbestos, in it's filters, during the mid 50's and it has been responsible for meso in many patients. If you think about it we were all exposed in the 50's, while attending school. Most schools had their heating pipes wrapped in asbestos insulation.

pr

Pr, How was your mom exposed. Prolonged exposure top certain types of Asbestos like Amosite and Chrysotile can be real bad.

Asbestosis sufferers develop Mesothelioma some years after diagnosis of Mesothelioma. There are 3 types of Mesothelioma.

Inhaling asbestos fibers can cause scar tissue (fibrosis) to form inside the lung. Scarred lung tissue does not expand and contract normally, and cannot perform gas exchange.

The severity of the disease depends on how long the person was exposed to asbestos and the amount inhaled. Often, symptoms and lung fibrosis do not occur and are not noticed for a period of 20 years or more after the asbestos exposure.

Asbestos fibers were commonly used in construction before 1975. Asbestos exposure occured in asbestos mining and milling industries, construction, fireproofing, and other industries. In families of asbestos workers, exposure can also occur from particles brought home on the worker's clothing.

Asbestos-related disease includes pleural plaques (calcification), malignant mesothelioma, and pleural effusion. Mesotheliomas may develop 20 - 40 years after exposure. Workers today are less likely to develop asbestos-related disease because of government regulations.

Cigarette smoking increases the risk of developing the disease.

Tests & diagnosis

When listening to the chest with a stethoscope (auscultation), the doctor may detect a crackling sound.

These tests may help diagnose the disease:

Chest x-ray

CT scan of the lungs

Gallium lung scan

Pulmonary function tests

Prognosis

The outcome depends on the duration and extent of the asbestos exposure. Patients who develop malignant mesothelioma have a poor probable outcome, with 75% of those affected dying within 1 year.