Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Asbestos Exposure Ct Scan

Rate this question

68mustang

Question

Earlier this month I went for a CT scan of the lungs to check for asbestos exposure and today I went to the doctor for a followup. The doctor showed me the report and on it states " the findings are consistent with very mild asbestos-related disease" and "there is no pleural thickening or true plaque formation". The impression states " mild pleural calcification as described above consistent with mild asbestos-related pleural disease and "there is no interstitial fibrosis". The doctor said that I had a mild case of asbestosis and to go back and see him in three months.

Back in 2002 I filed a claim for pulmonary fibrosis because the CT scan at the time stated that it showed pulmonary fibrosis. The claim was denied at that time. The claim was reopened last year by the VA when I asked for documents pertaining to the denied 2002 claim. I never requested that the claim be reopened. I have gone for VA C&P exams for other issues, but the VA decided not to send me for a C&P exam on the pulmonary fibrosis claim. I believe that the VA will make its decision based on the 2002 CT scan.

I sent the VA an IRIS request for an update on my claims and was told that it is at the rater for rating and decision.

Should I turn in the new evidence or wait to see if the VA denies the pulmonary fibrosis claim? The 2002 CT scan report makes no mention that it is related to asbestos exposure, while the new CT scan does. I don't want to delay the decisions on the other claims if I send the new evidence. Before I forget my Navy occupations BT and EN exposed me to asbestos. Thanks.

68mustang

Waiting to hear about my FDC. I was a welder in the navy(HT) straight out of high school.worked on 3 different floating dry docks. No other exposure since then. I have calcified pleural plaques in my right lung on the side and around diaphragm.just had 2nd c&p and had my PFT done. FVC was 43% .......can't wait to see how they deny this

Although this is an older BVA decision ( they have many there related to asbestos)

it can provide you with some rating and diagnostic code  info and how they determine the percentages:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp10/Files5/1040030.txt

It is good that you know they cannot attribute this to any post service occupation.

The Navy asbestos PIES MOS list is here under a search for it....I would think welding would be on it but am not sure.

It is good too that your expectations at this point of the VA are not too high.

These claims can succeed, and we have had many discussions and radio shows too I think ,on inservice asbestos exposure.

How did the C & P exam go? were you able to get a copy of it ( if it was done at a VAMC and not farmed out, the VAMC Freedom of Info/Records access officer can give you a copy of it...and I think it would show up on ebenefits too ,if you use that site.)

This vet was an inservice welder (USN) and obviously BVA considered the MOS PIES list:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp06/Files4/0628181.txt

The case contains the exact M21-1MR references for the MOS Navy list and it is here but I have not found it yet.

Ate you able to work? If not do you get SSDI solely for this disability?

• HadIt.com Elder

Earlier this month I went for a CT scan of the lungs to check for asbestos exposure and today I went to the doctor for a followup. The doctor showed me the report and on it states " the findings are consistent with very mild asbestos-related disease" and "there is no pleural thickening or true plaque formation". The impression states " mild pleural calcification as described above consistent with mild asbestos-related pleural disease and "there is no interstitial fibrosis". The doctor said that I had a mild case of asbestosis and to go back and see him in three months.

Back in 2002 I filed a claim for pulmonary fibrosis because the CT scan at the time stated that it showed pulmonary fibrosis. The claim was denied at that time. The claim was reopened last year by the VA when I asked for documents pertaining to the denied 2002 claim. I never requested that the claim be reopened. I have gone for VA C&P exams for other issues, but the VA decided not to send me for a C&P exam on the pulmonary fibrosis claim. I believe that the VA will make its decision based on the 2002 CT scan.

I sent the VA an IRIS request for an update on my claims and was told that it is at the rater for rating and decision.

Should I turn in the new evidence or wait to see if the VA denies the pulmonary fibrosis claim? The 2002 CT scan report makes no mention that it is related to asbestos exposure, while the new CT scan does. I don't want to delay the decisions on the other claims if I send the new evidence. Before I forget my Navy occupations BT and EN exposed me to asbestos. Thanks.

68mustang

I hope all goes well for you, 68mustang. If you do not win this round, then you have back up for your appeal. My most positive thoughts are with you for a positive outcome ASAP.

• HadIt.com Elder

My friend, you have a diagnosis of Pulmonary Fibrosis and they denied your claim.

Did they conceed the asbestos exposure?

What was your Naval Rateing?

I would file to re-open this claim and I would get m y ducks in order because I think you have a Strong CUE claim.

It is imparative you be checked every couple of months becausde Asbestosis can turn into mesothelioma and you dont want that to happen.

We had a Heck of a SVR show on Asbestos a couple of weeks ago. We will do a follow up show and I am inviting you to call in with your story.

John

Edited by jbasser

My friend, you have a diagnosis of Pulmonary Fibrosis and they denied your claim.

Did they conceed the asbestos exposure?

What was your Naval Rateing?

I would file to re-open this claim and I would get m y ducks in order because I think you have a Strong CUE claim.

It is imparative you be checked every couple of months becausde Asbestosis can turn into mesothelioma and you dont want that to happen.

We had a Heck of a SVR show on Asbestos a couple of weeks ago. We will do a follow up show and I am inviting you to call in with your story.

John

Thank you all for your responses. The Va denied the claim and conceded that I was exposed while in the Navy. That could be why the VA reopen the claim when I recently requested documents pertaining to the claim from 2002. At the time of the 2002 claim the VA was not into veterans' exposure to asbestos, but was into denying asbestos exposure claims.. I First worked as Boiler Technician and then as an Engine man. I was exposed to asbestos while in the shipyard for repairs and to rust dust and carbon dust while doing boiler upkeep. Thanks.

68mustang