Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stupid Question, But Got Different Answers And Need To Ask

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I quit working in Feb 1998, I was at the frizzy end of my rope and couldn't take it anymore. Lucky for me, I had a husband who could support us and understood what was going on with me. I spent the first 2 years hiding in my house, then finally went to see a psychiatrist.

I never considered applying for SS disability, I didn't think of myself as disabled, just very troubled. I kept thinking I would get better...

Anyway, I've been getting the SS printouts yearly and I saw that my window of applying for SSD had closed years ago, so I never thought about it. Then last year I went to a PTSD inpatient program and found I was the only one there not getting SSD. My roommate told me that she'd gotten it after not working for 5 years.

It's been 12 years for me now. I have plenty of quarters to receive SS when I reach 65 (dwindling, dwindling as the years roll by).

Sorry if this is a bit disjointed. Feeling fuzzy just now.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
I quit working in Feb 1998, I was at the frizzy end of my rope and couldn't take it anymore. Lucky for me, I had a husband who could support us and understood what was going on with me. I spent the first 2 years hiding in my house, then finally went to see a psychiatrist.

I never considered applying for SS disability, I didn't think of myself as disabled, just very troubled. I kept thinking I would get better...

Anyway, I've been getting the SS printouts yearly and I saw that my window of applying for SSD had closed years ago, so I never thought about it. Then last year I went to a PTSD inpatient program and found I was the only one there not getting SSD. My roommate told me that she'd gotten it after not working for 5 years.

It's been 12 years for me now. I have plenty of quarters to receive SS when I reach 65 (dwindling, dwindling as the years roll by).

Call the local SSA office and tell them the same thing you just told us. See what they say.

When you apply you can apply back to the time you last worked. You can also have them consider your military years as well. Good Luck

/doc

Navydoc, thanks. Seriously? I thought you could only apply for disability if you did within 3 years of leaving employment...

I'm sure you will have penalties, but all they can say is no is how I look at it.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you apply and carefully fill out the form and use the last date you worked you should get it. You may need a Lawyer as many times SS will decline saying you have not worked the required quarters.

Also if you served before the early 90's you can get extra credit for money earned that many miss

Good Luck and many disabled folks either get by with help from family or use up their savings and than apply to late.

• HadIt.com Elder

hedgey - go ahead and apply for SSDI using the day after the last day you worked as the date of "disability onset." You will probably have to appeal to the ALJ level but you should win. They'll probably deny initially, due to lack of quarters in last 5 yrs, which is why you'll need to go to the ALJ level.

pr