Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bi-polar. Proving Sc.

Rate this question

world_wide

Question

Recently I filed for PTSD and BP disorder. When I was on active duty I was sent to drug and alcohol rehab. When I got off of active duty I was diagnosed by a VA doctor with BP disorder. I visited him approximately 3-4 times, and later returned to active duty. I am wondering, how best to prove SC for the BP. I did see a psychiatrist while on AD and he presribed me Luvox. I am not sure why he prescribed me that medication. I think it may have been because of depression or suicidal ideation.This was more than 10 years ago.

When first diagnosed with BP disorder I still served in the National Guard.

Currently I am waiting on MEB due to my BP. I am again in the National Guard after an additional 6 years in the AD army.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"When first diagnosed with BP disorder I still served in the National Guard."

Do you have these NG SMRs and does the VA have copies of them?

I helped Bi polar vet prove SC solely with his personnel records and a disciplinary report which a VA doctor ultimately concurred was the first manifestation of his Bi Polar in service.No diagnosis or medical treatment in his SMRs.

I do have active duty records with disciplinary action.

"When first diagnosed with BP disorder I still served in the National Guard."

Do you have these NG SMRs and does the VA have copies of them?

I helped Bi polar vet prove SC solely with his personnel records and a disciplinary report which a VA doctor ultimately concurred was the first manifestation of his Bi Polar in service.No diagnosis or medical treatment in his SMRs.

Those records could help if they reveal symptoms of bi polar.

My friend with Bi polar thought one day-aboard ship- that he was an Admiral and starting shouting orders at everyone - he also did some other unusual things-and they put him into the brig.

Decades lately ( the Navy didn't know anything about Bi Polar illnesses in those days)the VA agreed that this was the first manifestation of his manic bipolar disability and granted him SC at 100% P & T.

I dont mean to oversimplify his claim- and it took 12 years to succeed. There were consistent medical records since service he accumulated from private docs and VA docs of bi polar illness-once that was properly diagnosed.

I found a medical print out which his VA shrink was interested in for his opinion on the claim that proved when this vet's symptoms became full blown in the Navy (early 1960s) the psychiatric community did not really adequately diagnose and treat this illness as it was often diagnosed as other mental or personality problems erroneously.

Todat the DSM and other medical literature reveals the markers for bi polar and how it's symptoms can be assessed better as bi polar illness.

If I can find his case I will post anything there that could help you.

It definitely rests on documentation in SMRs and then chronic manifestations of this disability,post service.

• HadIt.com Elder

Often these DX'es are interchangeable depending on who examines you. The Army said I had a personality disorder because they did not want to pay for a medical pension. The VA DX'ed Schizophrenia within one year of discharge. Years later they changed it to bi-polar. Then it became MDD. When I got IU it went back to schizophrenia. In the case of almost any MH problem besides PTSD you have to have something in your records to indicate some symptoms or actions that might indicate a mental disorder. Getting the claim in within a year of service is absolutely crucial. That is what got me my SC even if it was just 10% and a low ball rating it got my foot in the door. You can believe the military will discharge personnel who have major symptoms as being perfectly fine in order to avoid liability. I was in a military mental hospital for two months and they denied me any medical discharge except a personality disorder discharge.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have AR-15's that will be in your personnel file, maybe if you have reduction in rank or AWOL. AWOL shows up on your DD214.