Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bi-polar. Proving Sc.

Rate this question

world_wide

Question

Recently I filed for PTSD and BP disorder. When I was on active duty I was sent to drug and alcohol rehab. When I got off of active duty I was diagnosed by a VA doctor with BP disorder. I visited him approximately 3-4 times, and later returned to active duty. I am wondering, how best to prove SC for the BP. I did see a psychiatrist while on AD and he presribed me Luvox. I am not sure why he prescribed me that medication. I think it may have been because of depression or suicidal ideation.This was more than 10 years ago.

When first diagnosed with BP disorder I still served in the National Guard.

Currently I am waiting on MEB due to my BP. I am again in the National Guard after an additional 6 years in the AD army.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yeah that is another thing you have to ask for directly when requesting records. I think the Army calls it your 201 file.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, it is the 201 file. I think those files are cleaned up sometimes. I did see some records regarding personnel actions related to AR-15's I got after I started going nuts. No mention of special courts martial because I signed off on 635-212 discharge under pressure from the military lawyer who was supposed to be representing me. The army would have lynched me, so I guess it was a good thing. My treating psychiatrist would have sat there and told them I was just a trouble maker since he did not want orders for Vietnam I am sure. All those records vanished.

I just realized how old this post is- oh well-

I used a Captain's Mass in a 201 file for a vet friend of mine. His shrink concurred that this was, as likely as not, the first manifestation of his bi polar in service.

Prior to that his shrink had stated to VA that this incident (which was very bizarre) was possibly due to 'youthful exuberance'.

(Youthful exuberance my butt- he woke up one day thinking he was an Admiral and gave orders to everyone and they threw him into the brig)

The Military really had no clue on bipolar in the 1970s and 1970s and even by the 1980s.

My friend went from NSC to 100% P & T and got 12 years retro and luckily they made his wife the payee which he fully agreed to,

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

The military had little idea of PTSD or bipolar in the 60's and 70's. If you acted bizzare they would either say you had a personality disorder or pre-existing schizophrenia. Either way they would try and hoist you out with no compensation or pension. There way of dealing with mental health problems was Punishment. The probably believed in witchcraft and demonic possession.