Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Release Of Smr's

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I asked for release of some psychiatric records from my SMR's that were never found before this time. I got a letter back form NPRC that they will only release them to a doctor who can explain them to me. These are records that have not been in my C-file for 40 years. I requested them specifically this time. I can't believe that these records were not given to the VA when I filed my orignial claim. What do you make of this requirement that the records have to be released to a doctor and not me? This is the NPRC in St. Louis. I am sure going to get them sent to a friendly doctor.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I asked for release of some psychiatric records from my SMR's that were never found before this time. I got a letter back form NPRC that they will only release them to a doctor who can explain them to me. These are records that have not been in my C-file for 40 years. I requested them specifically this time. I can't believe that these records were not given to the VA when I filed my orignial claim. What do you make of this requirement that the records have to be released to a doctor and not me? This is the NPRC in St. Louis. I am sure going to get them sent to a friendly doctor.

The NPRC (NARA) is only following written protocal/procedure when dealing with a person's possibly harmful, potentially damaging medical records. Just do as you said, and get them sent to your local doctor.

• HadIt.com Elder

John,

That must be a New Regulation.

My Psychiatric Records were also kept from me for 40 years,

but when I wrote to the St. Louis Archives, one of the clerks

called me and ask me exactly what I was looking for and then

they mailed them directly to me.

I then presented them as "Both New and Material Evidence" and

re-opened my first claim as the R.O had never requested them

and always told me they didn't exist.

I remember you wrote to me a few years back about those

records and now you have located them.

I am so Happy for You.

Betty

Edited by Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder

John - that's a good idea or you can have your atty request them. They can't withhold them, from him!

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

The thing about the records is I don't know what is in them. It might hurt me or help me. The actual records I want may not exist, and they may send me the same old junk. I asked for specific records. But I don't know if I will get them. This is why I want them sent to my personal doctor. If they say "This soldier is a personality disorder etc" the VA does not need to hear that again from the army. They screwed me enough the first time. If the records say I was being treated for legitimate medical psychiatric condition that will be a differenct story. If my lawyer got the records he might have some duty I am not aware of to tell the VA. Until I know exactly what is in them I want to have control of them via my doctor.

• HadIt.com Elder

John:

There is nothing that they can say that will hurt you as you have pretty much matured and think differently than you did in your early 20's. You probably will be able to close the book when you get the info and prove your CUE Claim.

For me getting 100% was actually the Military Validating that I was injured when I served and making things right.

So get the records sent to a Doc or your Lawyer. If it was me I would want the lawyer to have it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks for the heads-up on that info, John999. I too have to send off for all my records...VA & SMR's.

Some notes in the old smr's could prove helpful in some PTSD claims. Unknowingly a DR. or nurses' note could reveal PTSD symptoms.

In 1978, my rep found a SMR hosp. note that helped me get a misdiagnosed, miss-coded 10%SC. Of course that's what I'm trying to get corrected now.

As carlie would say.. back on the "hamster wheel".

Edited by Commander Bob