VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Education For An 18 Year Old Dependant

Rate this question

rdnkjeeper

Question

I need to find the form to fill out so I can keep my 18 year old on my claim. She is 18 but still going to school and starts college in the fall. Anyone know where the form is?

Thanks

• Answers 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think we are talking about two separate different situations.

1. The first is a veteran that has a dependent child that is 18 or older and attending high school/ college or some type of training that lives at home or not and the veteran is not 100% service connected.

The form would be VA form 21-674 for VA to approve the training of college or other training and if the dependent child stops attending classes or between semester changes to fill out the VA form 21-647b. The school may or may not complete this form and the veteran is responsible for overpayment. The veteran would receive this entitlement (money).

Note: Depending on the type of training VA may or may not pay for semester breaks.

2. The second is a veteran that has a dependent child that is 18 or older and attending college or some other type of training that lives at home or not and the veteran is 100% P & T service connected.

The form would be VA form 22-5490 for VA to approve the training of college or other training and yes the school would complete the certification and the dependent child would receive this entitlement (money). This would be a chapter 35 program.

Note: Depending on the type of training VA may or may not pay for semester breaks.

Hope This Makes Sense

AWESOME!!! Good Work!!!

biggrin.gif Salt Lake VA sent me a letter stating that my comp would go down due to my daughter turning 18. It gave directions to send in a school letterhead from the college she is enrolled in in the fall and her expected graduation date. Sent it in as requested got my brown envolope a month later, the increase, not decrease is effective 1 August 10. Nice increase at that.

• Founder

Filing as soon as possible is all about your effective date which equals money in your pocket. You can also call the VA 1-800-827-1000 and file an informal claim with them, they will send you the forms you need, but your effective date will be the day the VA 800 number put in the informal claim. Effective Date is very Important.

x

x

x

File a Claim to establish the earliest effectice date!

By all means, find the right VA Form, tell her which one it is, she asked on the 4th of July amd didn't get an answer --that's almost a month's worth of basic rate. ~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

Filing as soon as possible is all about your effective date which equals money in your pocket. You can also call the VA 1-800-827-1000 and file an informal claim with them, they will send you the forms you need, but your effective date will be the day the VA 800 number put in the informal claim. Effective Date is very Important.

Thank you Tbird, For re-stating the obvious! The veteran needs only to properly identify himself and state their claim in writing: on a plain piece of paper. The VA is REQUIRED to provide/forward the necessery FORMS. A mailing address is necessary too. You can use a street addy, PO Box, friend's house, domicilary, etc. You file the claim, first to establish the effective date. ~Wings

I need to find the form to fill out so I can keep my 18 year old on my claim. She is 18 but still going to school and starts college in the fall. Anyone know where the form is?

Thanks

my daughter also turned 18 and is starting college in the fall.. she is going through the financial aide officer at the college..

I did call the VA and they told me which forms to download and other info..

also,

SSDI will continue some payments for the child that is between 18 and 24 (I thin..) as long as there is proof provided to SSDI of the dependant contiuing education..

Edited by retiredat44