Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Reopen Claim (Attention T Bird

Rate this question

John46

Question

Prior to 1998 had a claim that was granted for (deep vein thrombosis) 0%. Then in 1998 I had a Vena Cava Filter implanted to protect against any more clots. The VA doctor then took me off of the blood thinner because of the filter. I applied for an increase due to the filter but was denied because I was off the thinner. Here is my question. What do I need to reopen the claim and possibility get an increase? I am on thinner now but is for heart and stents. I was ignornat of the claims process and relied soley on the VSO. Any info would be appreciated. I have not had any more episodes of clots.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

John46,

Tbird RARELY posts responses to claims questions.

She has her plate pretty full 24/7.

Just giving you a heads up on that.

OK thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

Prior to 1998 had a claim that was granted for (deep vein thrombosis) 0%. Then in 1998 I had a Vena Cava Filter implanted to protect against any more clots. The VA doctor then took me off of the blood thinner because of the filter. I applied for an increase due to the filter but was denied because I was off the thinner. Here is my question. What do I need to reopen the claim and possibility get an increase? I am on thinner now but is for heart and stents. I was ignornat of the claims process and relied soley on the VSO. Any info would be appreciated. I have not had any more episodes of clots.

Hi John46.

Do you have a job, or able to work? If you are unemployable, there is a chance that you would qualify for IU (Individual Unemployability)

here is a link with more info... http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:gcIaZ3tfXSIJ:www.vba.va.gov/VBA/benefits/factsheets/serviceconnected/iu.doc+veterans+Individual+Unemployable&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

• Founder

John46 -

There are more veterans here with better claims experience than me. I hope they will chime in and point you in the right direction. Welcome Aboard and I hope you find our site helpful.

"I am on thinner now but is for heart and stents."

Has any doctor suggested there is a possible relationship between your deep vein thrombosis and your heart disease?

Or is the 70% covering the heart disease as SC?

With 70% now are you still employed?

If not -has the VSO told you to apply for TDIU?