Ptsd

Rate this question

mcoleman5

Question

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If you mean a C&P just be yourself and answer truthfully and let them know what your worst or average day is like. They will ask you a bunch of questions like they did when you first saw your VA shrink.

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Take a good buddy, friend or relative with you if you can --make 'em sit in the waiting area, as near to you as possible. Don't throw chairs or desks at the examiner. Bring a copy of any recent medical reports that you think are important for the doctor to see; like something that has not yet made it into your VA medical records. Ask questions if you do not understand what is being said to you. Ask them to write down or take notes if you feel something is especially important for them to remember. Have a reminder list of things handy you want to remember to say ... what happened in the military and how it continues to affect you today. Your "list" should have things like: recent law trouble, relationship problems, employment problems, sleep problems. Stay up all night the night before the exam and pace the floor ... this is not a dress rehersal, this is the real deal --the moment is ripe for telling them how you really feel. Don't hold back. Don't throw the examiner down the stairs or out of the window. Even if you feel like it --use your words ;-) Good luck. ~Wings

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

x

x

x

Take a good buddy, friend or relative with you if you can --make 'em sit in the waiting area, as near to you as possible. Don't throw chairs or desks at the examiner. Bring a copy of any recent medical reports that you think are important for the doctor to see; like something that has not yet made it into your VA medical records. Ask questions if you do not understand what is being said to you. Ask them to write down or take notes if you feel something is especially important for them to remember. Have a reminder list of things handy you want to remember to say ... what happened in the military and how it continues to affect you today. Your "list" should have things like: recent law trouble, relationship problems, employment problems, sleep problems. Stay up all night the night before the exam and pace the floor ... this is not a dress rehersal, this is the real deal --the moment is ripe for telling them how you really feel. Don't hold back. Don't throw the examiner down the stairs or out of the window. Even if you feel like it --use your words ;-) Good luck. ~Wings

You go to devote like a week to writing things down that bother you......I am always hitting myself in the head like man why didnt i say this, cause thats really bad, havent had a C&P yet, but been to the shrink alot, and i always forget to mention something, at the C&P you want to tell them everything

• HadIt.com Elder

My claim for PTSD has been deferred to go see a VA Doctor. What should I expect to see or be ask from this visit?

They will ask you if you were in fear for you life because of enemy or terrorist action. Do you have avoidance of people, movies, books, news articles concerning war or terrorist activity, do you have loss of friends, lose of personal contact, loss of enjoyment of things you once enjoyed, do you avoid crowds, do you have a heightened "startle" reaction (loud, sudden noises, etc.). Were you exposed to things that would rise to the level that would cause PTSD (gunfire, bodies, IED's, wounded, blood, body bags, greiving families, incoming arty, etc.). Nightmares, anxiety, etc.

Do not rise to the bait: "Tell me about your childhood." "Tell me about your experiences before service." "Tell me about your experiences AFTER service." "Did the other kids make fun of you?" "Did your Daddy Beat You or Your Mommy, or did he pluck the hair outta your pet cat...............?"

Just do not go there, is the best that I can tell you, along with telling you to be truthful....................................:unsure: !

TELL THEM EVERYTHING. DO NOT HOLD BACK. THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO SEEK HELP, NOT TO AVOID HELP. DO NOT BULLSHIT THEM, THEY ARE PROFESSIONALS and THEY ARE THE ONLY WAY THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE A PTSD RATING!

You'll do fine. But, you're allowed to "worry", we all do and did.

If there is anything that we can do, please ask us, okay?

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

• HadIt.com Elder

If they try and get you to talk about your childhood they are leading you down the primrose path to a personality disorder DX. When you are in mental pain and trust the VA you are apt to get screwed to the wall. In one of my early c&p exams this prostitute doctor asked me all these leading questions about my childhood. He said I was a sociopath because I told him I skipped school a few time and got into a scrap in junior high school. I had years of that crap since I filed in 1971. Like Larry says, you were fine before the military. The military experience was your problem. Your home life was like "leave it to Beaver". You love everyone and everyone loved you.

• HadIt.com Elder

Good advice along with Wings and all others. Reminds me on last mental c&p I had taken notes with me, the doc asked to see 'em. Hey no problem, somehow it all worked in my favor. (short term memory is shrinking - ask my kiddos). Other than that, review the exam in advance, but know each doc is their own self - some are good at directing questions and some are good at listening.

Best to ya,

Cowgirl

You go to devote like a week to writing things down that bother you......I am always hitting myself in the head like man why didnt i say this, cause thats really bad, havent had a C&P yet, but been to the shrink alot, and i always forget to mention something, at the C&P you want to tell them everything

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!