Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Questions About Ptsd C&p

Rate this question

labguy

Question

I am new to the forum and this is my first post so if I ramble I am sorry. I have a C&P exam next week for my PTSD and I am beyond nervous. I have looked at most of the post regarding PTSD but I still have a few questions.

I was assigned to a Forensic Lab as an investigator / case manager for my year in Iraq and needless to say there was a lot of things that have come back to haunt me about that experience. I have been seeking treatment from the VA for about 15 months for PTSD, Depression and Adjustment Disorder. What should I expect the exam to be like? How much weight does my medical file from my VA doc have? I requested copies of my treatment record and progress notes and after reviewing them I know that I have been given a GAF score of 44 from my VA Doc. His notes seem very detailed to me but will any of that matter when I go to the C&P exam? According to my VSO the fact that I worked in Forensics should really help my claim -- Do you guys think he is right about that? He also says that since the C&P exam in through MES Solutions (contractor for the VA) that in his experience they are fairer with exams -- what do you guys think ??

Thanks in advance for the help with this. I am flipping out about this whole thing since I feel comfortable with my doc (he is a vet and a purple heart recipient) since he has been in similar situations. I cannot imagine opening up to a stranger about my demons -- this whole things has got me stressed out and its still a week away.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

labguy, The most important thing is to be honest. Do not say you are having a good day especially if 6 out of 7 are bad/poor/traumatic/depressed ones. Tell all your experiences, don't leave anything out. If you sought treatment inservice state that, and if out of service state that too. With some evidence previously documented it should be much more favorable for you.

Don't dress like a million bucks either, t shirt, jeans, sneakers are fine, if you "doll" it up it may appear you are "more together" than you really are. Also don't hold back on your emotions either, weeping, nervousness, tearful, manerisms that evidence your traumatic events that plague you should be told at this exam.

Telling a professional will lead hopefully, to granting you compensation, but more so, offering you the help for assistance with counseling/professional help with trying to deal with the horrors experienced. Relax, and spill your guts and feelings and review your repords that you have and get a copy of C&P exam from person doing the exam. Usually takes 7-14 days to receive a copy. Good luck on exam day. Just be yourself, and if a significant other can vouch for you, ask if they may offer inside info to the Dr post exam too.

• Founder

Halos is right. The best thing is to be honest, you must be honest and tell them just how it is for you. Many of us have trouble doing that, they believe it makes them look weak, or they are ashamed or many other reasons. Remember though, this isn't a social visit with someone you have to put up a front to, this is someone that needs to know what is really going on with you, not the face you put on for everyone.

Somethings to think about to mention if you have problems with them:

Remembering to take your medication and medication management, do you remember to get your refills, do you remember to take them.

Do you have problems leaving the house?

If you do leave the house is just to get groceries and go to the doctor?

Do you have trouble getting showered and cleaned up on a daily basis, do you go days without changing your clothes.

Are you very forgetful?

Do you have nightmares? How often?

Flashbacks how often and how debilitating?

How about paying your bills, do you remember to do that?

Do you often feel overwhelmed, if so what situations make you feel that way.

So you can see by these questions you really need to be honest and it is hard to do. I had to go with to my pysch doc with my niece last week and believe me hearing her talk about my shortcomings and answering the doc's questions honestly did not do a lot for my self esteem, it's all true, but when you are in your compensation and pension exam it's not about your self esteem it's about getting the appropriate amount of compensation and treatment for your problem and it's severity.

Thanks guys. I am still flipping out but you guys have sure helped out. There were some areas that give me all kinds of trouble but I never would have thought to bring them up. You guys are great ---my doc told me about this site and said I would find it helpful -- he was 110% right

• HadIt.com Elder

One other thing is to be careful about your childhood. If your Dad beat you every now and than and they ask you how your childhood was the best answer would be like most others cause for me when I was a kid all of us git beatings from Dad's and Teachers it was how they thought it was best to make kids do what they should.

The main thing is that no matter what your problems were if you were accepted in and the conditions got worse that is all you have to prove.