VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Will Va Recognize Depression And Anxiety From Years Of Chronic Pain?

Rate this question

usmc0599

Question

Good afternoon brothers and sisters,

I've been going to a VA therapist for four months concerning anxiety attacks and depression. The anxiety attacks are triggered when I get sinus

(0%) infections because Im extremely claustrophobic and being "stuffy" stimulates a feeling of being closed in. The meds Ive been perscribbed have helped to reduce these attacks. Im on several depression and anxiety meds.

The depression itselfs stems from being in constant pain and discomfort. I suffer from chronic cervical arthritis(20%) which is spreading throughout my right arm and shoulder. I also had four surgeries to correct severe high arches (30%)

that created more problems than they solved. would it be a waste of time to submit a claim for depression and anxiety since i didn't suffer any while in the Marine Corps.

Im currently 60% disabled for cervical arthritis and pes cavus (high arches) related issues. Im rated 0% for chronic sinus infections and tension headaches. Thank you all.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are in constant and chronic pain for your service connected problems it is worth making a claim. You need a doctor to say you have chronic pain and depression due solely to your SC conditions. I have that high arch problem. I had a surgery to treat the constant pain from PF and it really went bad. I got a horrible staff infection and almost lost my foot. I can imagine your pain! Now I have to wear a brace and hope it gets better.

If you are in constant and chronic pain for your service connected problems it is worth making a claim. You need a doctor to say you have chronic pain and depression due solely to your SC conditions. I have that high arch problem. I had a surgery to treat the constant pain from PF and it really went bad. I got a horrible staff infection and almost lost my foot. I can imagine your pain! Now I have to wear a brace and hope it gets better.

thank you for the reply sir.

• HadIt.com Elder

usmc,

My hubby is a 100% IU disabled Vietnam Vet. He has diabetes. He is also diagnosed with depression because of the diabetes.

You should file a claim. Your disability CAN cause psychological problems.

Check out my site. Maybe it will help as you do so.

fanaticbooks

• HadIt.com Elder

usmc,

My hubby is a 100% IU disabled Vietnam Vet. He has diabetes. He is also diagnosed with depression because of the diabetes.

You should file a claim. ONLY, of course, if your depression-causing disability(s) are SERVICE-CONNECTED. And, you'll have trouble getting any service-connected percentage of disability for depression caused by one of your 0%-rated disabilitys. Your disability CAN cause psychological problems.

Check out my site. Maybe it will help as you do so.

fanaticbooks

just sayin'........................

You can file for depression or chronic pain disorder secondary to your painful service connected disabilities. Have a sit down with your pcp and let him know what is going on so he can document this in your notes. Request Psych consult for this and have them tie it all together for you. Bring copies of all this to your c&p after you file your claim for this. I would file this claim and submit copies of all progress notes along with a nexus if possible. Good luck in your ventures.

I was service connected for depression with loss of memory, brain fog and fatigue due to chronic pain from cervical spine and headaches. I wasn't diagnosed with depression until 16 years after my accident. I didn't file for service connection for any of my issues until 20 years after accident. You will need a nexus letter from your psychologist and physychiatrist that prescribes your medicine. It would be better if your psychologist had a PHD.