Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Clothing Allowance

Rate this question

grent

Question

HELLO,

MY PRIVATE DOCTOR RECENTLY WROTE A PRESCRIPTION FOR WHEEL CHAIR TWO MONTHS AGO.

I REQUESTED THE CLOTHING ALLOWANCE PERMANENTLY TO BE AWARDED TO ME THROUGH MY LOCAL VARO.

I STILL HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING. ARE OTHER VETERANS HAVING THE SAME DIFFICULTY AS ME IN REGARD TO THIS CLOTHING ALLOWANCE ISSUE.

I HEARD THAT REQUEST DOES NOT GO TO THE VARO BUT TO AND ONLY TO THE ORTHOPEDICS CLINIC @ VA HOSPITAL IN MY AREA?

SHOULD I RE-SUBMIT 21-4138 OR DO I USE A SPECIAL CLOTHING ALLOWANCE REQUEST SLIP?

CAN YOU HELP ME IN THIS MATTER?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

GRT

PS, SAD TO HEAR NO COLA AGAIN THIS YEAR.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I do not know what your experience will be in the clothing application process, but that is correct that clothing allowance is processed throught the Prosthetic Department. My experience is the head of prosthetics will schedule a doctors appointment who will determine if clothing allowance criteria is met. Don't have a clue to thecriteria but shooting from the hip: worn clothes, rashes of the skin, abrasions.... The reason I mention this, do not be fooled that you just fill out the paperwork then the register opens.

Edited by cannoncocker

When did you submit your paperwork? I think you may have missed the cut off for this year. Thats just my opinion, hopefully other will chime in. Good luck.

/doc

The clothing allowance is processed through the prosthetics department ant the VAMC Hospital. I believe the correct form is 21-8678. If I am wrong others will chime in.

http://www.vba.va.go...rms/21-8678.pdf

the form is 10-8678. I filed on 7/27/10 & i got a letter today saying i am not eligible because i fiied on 8/9/10. that is a lie, the clerk who gave me the knee brace is backing me up. he saying he issued the brace on 7/27/10. this date is correct because this is the date i submited the clothing allowance form 10-8678. i will file an appeal tomorrow.

I wonder if shoe and socks could also be applied for with the clothing allowance especially if a vet has screws and plates sticking out of his foot? Don't mean to rain on your post but I know they will pay for braces, artificial extremity wear on clothing but wondered if they delineated with "All Wearing Apparel?"

Oh thought Oct was the cut off date for the yr too???

I wonder if shoe and socks could also be applied for with the clothing allowance especially if a vet has screws and plates sticking out of his foot? Don't mean to rain on your post but I know they will pay for braces, artificial extremity wear on clothing but wondered if they delineated with "All Wearing Apparel?"

Oh thought Oct was the cut off date for the yr too???

If an application for clothing allowance is filed through the Regional Office it is forwared to the hospital for processing. Just like with any other document filed with the VA, always get a copy with a date stamp or have the person you give it to initial it and put a date on it.