VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Want To Build Super Computer

gp747

Another pitfall when you build your own is that a ready made computer comes usually with a lot of software that can be expensive.

Any hobby or avocation usually means to start off slow and learn and than go for the super computer after you have built a few.

Just my opinion.

I totally agree ,i do not want to spend a lot of money and blow the whole thing up because i did not know what i am doing. I do not think i am going to have a whole lot of problems assembling one ,where i have my problems is with software.

I have gathered several old computers and built a simple one out of parts from each,however i know i havent touched the tip of the iceburg as far as what i need to know and believe me it is intimidating to look at all the stuff you should know.

I have been looking at a site called NEWEGG and what i would give to have a lot of money to spend with them. I had in mind what notorious kelly saw in his post with the neon lights .

Heck i want to communicate with the aliens !

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Founder

I think that is a great hobby or project

My two cents

Cram the RAM the more the better

Multiple Processors

Solid state hard drives

Just my thoughts on a super computer. I am currently lusting after the Mac Pro 12. Core Processor with server software installed. I've got to get real disciplined about saving for it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Skunk, your enthusiasm is remarkable!

However "supercomputer" is a relative statement.

For individual use, the first thing to consider is what is the computer going to be used for.

(Use more or less determines the minimum and desired capabilities.)

For instance

Business applications are in general not too demanding. Exceptions exist when high resolution graphics and massive number crunching are involved.

Software development is another demanding application.

Gaming (Generally the most demanding of current consumer applications)

Simple games are not very demanding. Animated high resolution first person shooter games (Crysis for example) demand high frames rates, detailed graphics and modern (read expensive) video cards.

Storage: Currently, newer conventional hard drives have storage capacity that was unheard of, and the price is quite low. Solid State drives (SSD) are still about twice the price, and have less storage that the conventional drives.

So, for storage, a solid state drive of at least 120Gb, with at least a 500Gb Hard drive is indicated on today's high end desktop systems.

Processors: Intel currently has the speed advantage. AMD's processors have the dollar/performance advantage.

Video cards: Most modern "high performance" video cards in today's market have Nvidia or AMD/ATI GPU chips. Prices range from "reasonable" to around $1000, with special purpose cards into the multi thousands.

Memory: DDR3 is the most common on current motherboards. DDR2 is still commonly available, and often used on lower priced motherboards. ~4G of installed RAM is common, with 8G common on 64 bit windows 7 systems,

Memory speed is a price/stability/use consideration.

Display/Monitor size, color depth, speed, and of all things the capability to display "Blue Ray" and other encrypted video.

I won't get into keyboards, mice/trackballs, etc.

The newer design Motherboards have double the hard drive interface speed of the older ones, and higher speed USB ports as well. Some have video on board, but the on board video is usually not suitable for gaming and other demanding applications.

(And so on)

I'm retired now, thanks to A.O., and was a OEM/VAR, MS MVP & Consultant from 1989 to retirement. On occasion, I still build systems for personal/private use.

Edited by Chuck75

• HadIt.com Elder

When you build the supercomputer please ask it this question: " Is hot roast beef better than cold roast beef sandwhich?"

Skunk, your enthusiasm is remarkable!

However "supercomputer" is a relative statement.

For individual use, the first thing to consider is what is the computer going to be used for.

(Use more or less determines the minimum and desired capabilities.)

For instance

Business applications are in general not too demanding. Exceptions exist when high resolution graphics and massive number crunching are involved.

Software development is another demanding application.

Gaming (Generally the most demanding of current consumer applications)

Simple games are not very demanding. Animated high resolution first person shooter games (Crysis for example) demand high frames rates, detailed graphics and modern (read expensive) video cards.

Storage: Currently, newer conventional hard drives have storage capacity that was unheard of, and the price is quite low. Solid State drives (SSD) are still about twice the price, and have less storage that the conventional drives.

So, for storage, a solid state drive of at least 120Gb, with at least a 500Gb Hard drive is indicated on today's high end desktop systems.

Processors: Intel currently has the speed advantage. AMD's processors have the dollar/performance advantage.

Video cards: Most modern "high performance" video cards in today's market have Nvidia or AMD/ATI GPU chips. Prices range from "reasonable" to around $1000, with special purpose cards into the multi thousands.

Memory: DDR3 is the most common on current motherboards. DDR2 is still commonly available, and often used on lower priced motherboards. ~4G of installed RAM is common, with 8G common on 64 bit windows 7 systems,

Memory speed is a price/stability/use consideration.

Display/Monitor size, color depth, speed, and of all things the capability to display "Blue Ray" and other encrypted video.

I won't get into keyboards, mice/trackballs, etc.

The newer design Motherboards have double the hard drive interface speed of the older ones, and higher speed USB ports as well. Some have video on board, but the on board video is usually not suitable for gaming and other demanding applications.

(And so on)

I'm retired now, thanks to A.O., and was a OEM/VAR, MS MVP & Consultant from 1989 to retirement. On occasion, I still build systems for personal/private use.

Wow ! I was thinking of building high end game computers as i believe i could get my money back out of them and my son is in college learning to make games for computers and such.

I like to play games sometimes and dont laugh ratchet and clank is my favorite as far as a playstation goes ,my son likes black ops and stuff like that . I really just would like to get into it for the fun of it and it is a challenge when you only have a ninth grade education. however i have always had a knack for electronics ,just never pursued it.

This is going to be fun i can fool with a computer 14 hours a day and hate to leave it then. I know i have a lot to learn and will never know what a high school student knows in my lifetime but i am having fun giving it a whirl >

Man they have some 1T harddrives now .