Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Another Vet $crewed

Rate this question

shrlee

Question

My brother injured his back and fractured his ankle during a fall while on manuvers in Korea 1957.

He applied for comp. in 1985. His records were one of the many they claim are missing due to the St. Louis fire. The only proof he has is a Buddy Statement and a picture that was taken while in Korea with his leg in a cast. After years of denials in 1995 he received 10% for the fractured ankle. Although the Buddy Statement stated he injured his back AND left leg they have never given him a service connection on his back.

My brother and his wife had been working his claim, she passed away last year. In April he received his letter denying an increase on the ankle ( he has had 3 knee replacements on that leg since 1999, private doctor) and a denial on SC of the back injury. After I got to talking to him I found out he never attempted to get an outside medical opinion.

His original claim is for the ankle, back and arthritis.

I want to add his knees as secondary and tinitus to his claim. Left knee is the one with replacements right knee dr says needs replaced.

When my husband filed his claim he had three fantastic service officers, although I have been lurking on this board since 1998, this is a new to me and I don't want to $crew him up anymore than he is. We went thru boxes and boxes of papers, and made copies of his medical papers and rating decision for the dr. and SO.

I made him an appt. with a dr. for an evaluation letter, there was not an opening until Sept. Should he wait until he gets the drs evaluation letter before he sends in the NOD? He has no new proof until he receives a letter hopefully connecting the knees to the ankle and stating as least likely as not the back was injured in the fall.

Should we wait to file the knees and tinitus until after there is a decision on the NOD? If we file the additional claims will they slow down the original claim? He only has one Buddy Statement would it help if the family wrote statements concerning the letters he wrote home about the injuries? We are going to contact a service officer to file the NOD but I don't know what he can do until we get more proof.

I applogize for such a long post, trying to get 20 years onto one page is difficult.

Thanks for any input, Shirley

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Good luck on the claim. A Doctor's opinion that would link his current condition to his service would help him a lot.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

The buddy statement and letters from the family might help but the actual letters he sent home would be even better-

If a family menber has his letters (hope the envelopes are with them) copies of the actual letters and envelopes he sent home woud be good evidence.

I never believe VA when they say the records are not at NARA.

He could apply himself right on line at :

http://www.archives.gov/

They could suddenly turn up.

I would not hesitate to file the NOD- my VARO is over a year behind in addressing NODs so there is time to send more evidence. The buddy statement -( I would send a copy-not original) if they have never seen this- could go with the NOD and refer to it in the NOD.

You mentioned the private doctor and his knee replacements- would this doctor be willing to give him a IMO?

Pete is correct that this is what he needs-

but then again- a service nexus usually has to be proven-

a doctor can say 'more than like due to service' but the VA could still question the nexus.

Does he possibly get SSA disability benefits for these conditions?

Also has he been in touch with his unit -they might have a web site on line if he needs additional buddy statements?

I would file the NOD ASAP - but I would also check out NARA to see if the inservice records are really non-existant.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

http://www.kwva.org/

Welcome to the

Korean War Veterans Association

(Click)

Korean War and Korea Service Veterans...

A Continuity of Service in the Defense of Freedom

(Click)

United States Member of The International Federation

of Korean War Veterans Associations - IFKWVA

Home Page | President's Update | Directory of Officials | Dept/Chapter List | How to Join | 2005 Bylaws

GENERAL

Home Page

Update

(President's Official Message Board)

Mission Statement

Directory of

KWVA Officials

Dept/Chapter List

2005 Bylaws,

October 5, 2005

Bylaws-Based Legals

PROGRAMS

Tell America Program

POW/MIA Page

Revisit Korea Tours

MEMBERSHIP

How to JOIN Us

(Membership info/ Application Form)

How to Submit Items for Graybeards

Contact Us

In Memoriam

INFORMATION

Korean War

Memorials

Casualty Lists

MIA Family Outreach

Info about Other

Korea Service Orgs

Links to Websites

of Interest

The Second Korean War - 1966-1969

ABMC Honor Roll Casualty Database

ABOUT US

KWVA... Brief History

and Founding Info.

The Graybeards...

A Brief History

Korean War...

A Brief Account

Viewer Comments

& Letters

ARCHIVES

The Graybeards...

Online Archives of Past Issues

Archives of Past

Website Info.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click here for Photo Galleries of KWVA Events, Meetings and More!

Click here for a

larger slide show

KWVA Home Page

Convention 2006, San Antonio, TX, Oct. 8-11... Only 118 Days Left!

Registration Form: PDF File MS Word Document

Korean War Veterans Annual Gathering of Vets, Family & Friends - July 25-27, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the official website of the Korean War Veterans Association, Inc. The site is DYNAMIC, ever-changing, to keep the membership and all Veterans of Korea, 1945 until now, informed of America’s oldest and largest association of Korea Veterans. You will find new material each time you visit the site: come often, browse widely, and come again soon! We encourage all users to check out the various links on our site to useful and helpful information for veterans, their families, educators, and the public.

Headline From The Past... Or is it???

Read More>>

News... Stories... Topics of Interest to KWVA Members and Friends...

ROK Memorial Day, June 6 (Korea Times 6/9/06)

SNEAK PREVIEW of the May/June Issue of The Graybeards (Posted 6/8/06)

Purple Heart Postage Stamp Re-Issued (Military.com 6/2/06)

Korea Veterans Association Elects New Leadership (Posted 5/31/06)

Results Begin to be Seen on Letter Writing Campaign for HR 3476! (Posted 5/30/06)

Prayer for Peace, Memorial Day, 2006 - A Proclamation by US President Bush (Posted 5/30/06)

Status Report on the Vintage Korean War Weapons Fund Raiser... STILL TIME TO GET YOUR TICKETS!! (Posted 4/27/06, Updated 5/29/06)

IN TIME FOR MEMORIAL DAY - Senate Passes Legislation to Protect Military Funerals (Posted 5/25/06)

MIA - Alvin Earl Crane Jr. Buried With Honors After 50+ Years (Posted 5/23/06)

President Dechert Sends Letter to US Representative James Sensenbrenner, Jr. (Posted 5/22/06)

Personal Data Of 26.5M Veterans Stolen (Posted 5/22/06)

May 20 Was a Great Day for Saratoga Springs, NY and the KWVA (Posted 5/21/06)

300 Deploy to S. Korea - Headline From The Past... Or is it??? (Posted 5/17/06)

Attempted Election Fraud Notice (Posted 5/16/06)

Supplemental Information to Attempted Election Fraud Notice (Posted 5/23/06)

Mrs. Clara Norris Presented New Past President Pin at KWVA New York Convention (Posted 5/12/06)

General B.B. Bell (Commander, UN Command and US Forces Korea) Joins KWVA as Life Member (Posted 5/10/06)

Korean War vets to build memorial in Cody WY (The Billings Gazette 5/4/06)

Letter From LA Representative Bobby Jindal re H.R. 3476 KWVA Charter Bill (Posted 5/1/06)

KWVA Recruiting Flyer... check it out! (Posted 9/5/05)

Archive of EARLIER Home Page Stories by Date and Subject...

(Click to enlarge)

ROK Memorial Day

President Roh Moo-hyun, third from left, pays homage to the war dead together with first lady Kwon Yang-suk, on his left, and Chief Justice Lee Yong-hun, right, during a ceremony to mark the 51st Memorial Day at the National Cemetery in Seoul, Tuesday.

Read More>>

Korea Times (Posted 6/9/06)

(Click for larger view)

The May/June, 2006

SPECIAL ELECTION RESULTS ISSUE of

The Graybeards is scheduled to be mailed on/about June 24, 2006!

Click the following links for a preview... (PDF Files)

The Contents Page

Election Results... AS SOON AS THEY BECOME AVAILABLE

Announcing the KWVA 2006 Convention

Marty O'Brien's POW/MIA Report (Coming Soon)

Larry Kinard's Tell America Program Update

KWVA Recruiting Committee Report (Coming Soon)

Revisit Korea - 2006 Report

(Posted 6/8/06)

Results Begin to be Seen on Letter Writing Campaign for HR 3476!

On Sunday, May 28th, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel had a story about the KWVA and our fight for a Charter

(Posted 5/30/06)

(Click to enlarge)

Korean War Veterans Annual Gathering of Veterans, Family Members and Friends July 25-27, 2006

SPECIAL EVENT AT ANNUAL BANQUET - National KWVA and KWV Gathering Honors Our Association Founder, Bill Norris.

For information, contact Jack Cloman, phone 410-676-1388; or by fax 410-676-3898.

[Look for feature article in May-June Graybeards]

(Posted 4/23/06)

(Posted 9/5/05)

RECRUITING!

Attention All Chapters,

Departments, Members:

"KWVA Wants You" Recruiting Flyer...

Download the Recruiting Ad, insert your own address and telephone number(s) and place in papers and on local TV.

Click to view the complete poster----->

For a larger "Poster View" suitable for printing, click one of the links below:

1024x1309 Larger picture

1667x2132 Extra Large picture

Click HERE for information on how to join us.

(Poster Courtesy Jamie L. Burnell, Granddaughter of KWVA member Ed Bicknell)

(Click to enlarge)

MEMORIAL OF OUR MEMBERS

Perpetual...

Founder William T. Norris, LC00001, June 20, 1997

Honorary President Raymond G. Davis MOH, MH00008, September 3, 2003

In January 2005, the President of the KWVA established that death notices of present or former directors, national officers, and department presidents would be placed on the website for thirty days. All reports of deaths of members are published in The Graybeards, when reported, and the Memorial List of those who have departed since the last National Convention are placed on a Memorial List awaiting the next Convention. Well done, honored comrades.

Click HERE to view our "In Memoriam" page of ALL Members that have passed away.

Join Us...

The members of the Board of Directors and I cordially invite Korea veterans of all eras to join the KWVA so that you can receive the membership benefit of issues of the organization's official magazine, The Graybeards, published six times a year and is occasionally supplemented with newsletters between issues. (Non-Korea veterans are also welcome to join the KWVA as associate members.)

In our newsletters, and on THIS Website, you will find the most current KWVA news, updates on issues of importance to Korean War veterans, reunion notices, POW/MIA updates, book reviews, veterans' memoirs, and much more.

Lou Dechert, President, KWVA

Click HERE for information on how to join us.

The official contact person for the national KWVA is: Bill Hutton, Secretary, BillHutton@kwva.org. Phone 703-842-7429. Mr. Hutton is a resident of Florida, and thus is on Eastern Time.

HISTORIC MEETING – FOLLOW THE LINK !!

http://www.koreaveterans.org/#usfkvo

Click THIS link to read the announcement in President Dechert's UPDATE

Archive of EARLIER Home Page Stories...

Stories and news releases of interest to Korea veterans are published regularly on the KWVA website Home Page.

CLICK THIS LINK to go to the list of Previous Stories by Date and Subject.

THE MISSION OF THE KWVA/US/USA is

DEFEND our Nation

CARE for our Veterans

PERPETUATE our Legacy

REMEMBER our Missing and Fallen

MAINTAIN our Memorial

SUPPORT a free Korea

Hot Topics:

Federal Charter...

Click HERE for a printable DAILY FACTUAL REPORT showing which Senators and Representatives support Veterans

Federal Charter...

President Dechert's

HR 3476 Update...

MS Word doc

PDF File

Text of Charter Bill H.R. 3476

Write and Visit Your Representatives Today - Click for

SAMPLE LETTER

Announcements:

Convention 2006 Registration Form NOW AVAILABLE

PDF MS Word

The Graybeards

Online!

Over 2 dozen back issues now posted... more on the way!

In Memoriam

FULL Database Listing of Members who have passed away.

© 2002-2006 Korean War Veteran's Association. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use of material is prohibited.

- Contact info@kwva.org for Korean War questions or similar informational issues.

- Contact Webmaster with questions or comments related to web site layout or problems.

This Website is designed to be viewed at 800x600 or higher screen resolution... 1024x768 is recommended.

Problems with or Questions about PDF Files - Click HERE for more PDF information.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Thanks Carlie, Pete and Berta for your response

Carlie, I will check that site out

Pete, we have an appt. Sept. hope to connect the knees to the ankle. I made copies for

the Dr. and SO of all medical records and Rating Decisions pertaining to his back, ankle

and knees. Hopefully they can connect it all

Berta, Mom didn't keep the letters, only the picture, which was submitted to VA in 1988.

In 1995 they finally granted 10% on the ankle.

Along with the picture a notorized Buddy Statement was also submitted in 1988.

If we resubmit the Buddy Statement with the NOD will they accept it. I wonder if the buddy

statement is still being considered after so many years or if it was lost in the shuffle. Thats

the partthat confuses me, If they granted SC for the ankle due to the buddy statement why

didn't they SC the back?

The vet and his wife did try NARA to locate his records themselves with no luck.

The dr. who did the knee replacements would not be much help. The first knee replacement

was contaminated which led to a class action lawsuit, two additional replacements and a knee worst

off than before surgery. Long story

Yes he gets SSD for his back, knees and arthritis.

I don't know the last time he tried to get additional Buddy Statements, I will get his unit and other

info. and try the link Carlie posted.

Thanks for your help, Shirley

• In Memoriam

Pictures of before and after service can be helpful. A bend in the spine sometimes will show up in pictures. My spine is at 12 Degrees after service, but was straight before and during part of my service. The picture on my after service reserve ID card, as well as other service pictures, shows the shoulders tilted at 12 Degrees.

Berta made me aware of this idea a few years back. Pictures don't lie. I never noticed the results of the accidents in the pictures of before or after until it was mentioned here on Hadit.

Good luck.

Oh ya, Thanks again Berta.

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

Guest frank
My brother injured his back and fractured his ankle during a fall while on manuvers in Korea 1957.

He applied for comp. in 1985. His records were one of the many they claim are missing due to the St. Louis fire. The only proof he has is a Buddy Statement and a picture that was taken while in Korea with his leg in a cast. After years of denials in 1995 he received 10% for the fractured ankle. Although the Buddy Statement stated he injured his back AND left leg they have never given him a service connection on his back.

My brother and his wife had been working his claim, she passed away last year. In April he received his letter denying an increase on the ankle ( he has had 3 knee replacements on that leg since 1999, private doctor) and a denial on SC of the back injury. After I got to talking to him I found out he never attempted to get an outside medical opinion.

His original claim is for the ankle, back and arthritis.

I want to add his knees as secondary and tinitus to his claim. Left knee is the one with replacements right knee dr says needs replaced.

When my husband filed his claim he had three fantastic service officers, although I have been lurking on this board since 1998, this is a new to me and I don't want to $crew him up anymore than he is. We went thru boxes and boxes of papers, and made copies of his medical papers and rating decision for the dr. and SO.

I made him an appt. with a dr. for an evaluation letter, there was not an opening until Sept. Should he wait until he gets the drs evaluation letter before he sends in the NOD? He has no new proof until he receives a letter hopefully connecting the knees to the ankle and stating as least likely as not the back was injured in the fall.

Should we wait to file the knees and tinitus until after there is a decision on the NOD? If we file the additional claims will they slow down the original claim? He only has one Buddy Statement would it help if the family wrote statements concerning the letters he wrote home about the injuries? We are going to contact a service officer to file the NOD but I don't know what he can do until we get more proof.

I applogize for such a long post, trying to get 20 years onto one page is difficult.

Thanks for any input, Shirley

GO TO A WEB PAGE CALLED AGENDA,YOU WILL FIND ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS,MEDICAL RECORDS WERE NEVER BURNTED IN FIRE, PLUS YOU CAN WRITE A LETTER ANYYONE CAN, WHAT YOU HAVE JUST WROTE WOULD BE ACCEPTIAL, AS EVENIDENCE READ THE AGENDA PAGE IT WILL EXPLAINE IN MORE DETAIL, I THINK IF YOU WENT TO CHAPTER 38,UNDER EVENIDENCE YOU,LL FIND ANSWER THERE AS WELE HOPE THIS HELPS FRANK