Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Losing What Left Of My Mind With Insane Amounts Of Medical Records

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

My VSO wants more records and organized.. At this point i am still waiting for my military personal records, i have all others. I have too many large boxes and folders. My wife is going to help me sort and organize. I am unable to get across in a forum of the large amount of records. this absolutely punishing. I have one good eye left that has had prvious catarat surgery. My bsad eye has catracts and may also have Glaucoma (I jus thad a checkup and they found more problems..

So going through papers is very hard to say the least..

the burden of proof must be for me to dig thought records as I am gulity unilt proven innocent..

This is monumental and I lose my sanity every day...

Reading medical records os cose to impossible because i don't inderstand the doctor writing and medical terms..

This is what I am going through after my DRO hearing..

next week my wife says she can start helping me organize my medical records.. I am tempted to show a photos of the boxes surrounding me,, really really insane... with the workd of computer, why can't they look using key word searches?/ wtf??

anyone know what to have when you are in this position of having too many records/

thank you,

Edited by retiredat44

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

"anyone know what to have when you are in this positions of having to many resords//"

Yes- I bought a large box of manila folders- 100 but it wasn't enough so I bought some more.I have 2 filing cabinets and 4-5 plastic totes full of VAOLA.

I have separate manila folders for all VA correspondence such as SOCs, SSOC award letters and rating sheets.

My husband's med records are in order by date but my daughter separated them by year and tabbed the folders that way.

Some years were so extensive the folders are tabbed by month.

His military records and his SSA awards are in separate files.

I keep my C file copy in the same box and same order the VA sent it to me in.

I also have a Master list of all of these files.

I buy colored labels and even yard sale stickers to highlight by color some files.

I use orange stickers for Agent Orange files and found some colored manila files for my most recent issues.

I know my IHD claim is in a pink file with orange stickers and that my original DIC app is in a lavender file with pink stickers.

When I dealt with REPS I could quickly find my REPS file when they called me a few times because that is a bright blue file.

My AO claim involved copying some med records which -this time-I did put right back into the med rec files but I have a separate file that is bright chartreuse that is labeled RE-FILE THIS STUFF and I try to do that refiling ASAP as soon as I use a med rec so I don't lose it.

This stuff is a pain in the butt!

But organizing stuff can be fun and it sure pays off.

And can reveal enlightening evidence that we might have overlooked.

I hate clutter because I cannot think straight with lots of paperwork around but when the paperwork is organized it becomes so much easier to deal with it all.

Med recs should be kept in order by date.

I tabbed the blood chem reports, MRI, exam reports etc,and C & P exams.

I had a significant medical notation that was 2 pages long to use for my recent claim.The second page had no date on it but was obvious continuation of the first page in the same doctor's handwriting .This is another reason to keep med recs in the same order you got them in order replace them right away if you copy them.

The second page would mean nothing to VA as it has no date but luckily follows the first dated page.

There is lots of Peace of Mind when VA stuff is organized.

• HadIt.com Elder

Be patient and the organization chronologically is very important to your claim. My recommendation is to work a reasonable amount of time every day and take the weekends off. Let your wife help you your success is in her best interests. Don't be hard on your self do your best and allow your wife to help you.

I start organization by using a folding file by month and year and just read the date and file in the month. On the second pass use an accordion file that has 31 slots and go to town. You can also review and set aside duplicates.

I woudl also consider using Bertas System for tabbing and color coding.

Great advice already given.

I'll add:

I primarily used Medical Summary (or whatever it's called) and put aside all of the labs, prescriptions, etc. Since virtually everything in those other records was covered in the Medical Summary it cut down on the bulk.

At the top of every page, I wrote codes for any affliction that might be mentioned on that page such as A for Arthritis, PN for Peripheral Neuropathy etc.

Once notes were in chronological order I numbered them in large print with a black marker.

I then made a Master List by Affliction with the page numbers i.e.

Affliction Pages

Arthritis 3,25,26,29,110

PN 2,6,7,45,46

Hope this helps! :smile:

Edited by Notorious Kelly

• HadIt.com Elder

My VSO wants more records and organized.. At this point i am still waiting for my military personal records, i have all others. I have too many large boxes and folders. My wife is going to help me sort and organize. I am unable to get across in a forum of the large amount of records. this absolutly punioshing. I have one good eye left that has had previous cataract surgery. My bad eye has cataracts and may also have Glaucoma (I just had a checkup and they found more problems..

So going through papers is very hard to say the least..

the burden of proof must be for me to dig thought records as I am guilty until proven innocent..

This is monumental and I lose my sanity every day...

Reading medical records is close to impossible because i don't understand the doctors writing and medical terms..

This is what I am going through after my DRO hearing..

next week my wife says she can start helping me organize my medical records.. I am tempted to show a photos of the boxes surrounding me,, really really insane... with the work

ld of computer, why can't they look using key word searches?/ wtf??

anyone know what to have when you are in this positionhs of having to many resords//

thank you,

Well said 'retiredat44'. I really feel for you. Excellent suggestions from our other HADIT members. It is inspiring, however, it still boggles my mind and triggers my PTSD, just thinking about boxes of records, missing files, etc...

This is why I am seriously thinking about finding an attorney for my appeal. I'll pay the ransom...

Edited by Commander Bob

• HadIt.com Elder

That is a LOT of Sorting!

I didn't have that type of work to do, BUT the others are correct. By sorting now, later you won't have to sort again!

Take a look at my website (http://www.howtoassemblevaclaims.com/). It might offer additional information to aid you.

One possibility that comes to mind at the moment....

Eventually, have everything sorted, but if you know the disability you are addressing, then maybe just look for those documents first, organize them by year/date and doctor...then work the contents.

All other documents, rough sort into doctors or years or both.

Gather your military and again sort according to year or incident or doctors or medical reports...whatever stands out for attention.

Use the Schedule of Ratings (See my website, Step 3) as your base for sorting. By noting your disabiities in advance, as you go through the documents, you can put them in groups that cover that disability. If more than one disability is impacted by a document, write down the doctor/date and disability and keep a list. You can then go back to research it later.

When you first start sorting, it can be overwhelming. By breaking them down into groups of rough sort, you can possibly make it a little less overwhelming.

I do wish you the best as you start this difficult task.

fanaticbooks