Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Can Va Verbally Tell You Their Decision?

john49
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

I talked with a VA rep today on the 800 number about a matter other than my request for reconsideration. During our conversation the matter of my reconsideration came up. He entered my info into his system and he told me that a decision had been reached on Dec 15 and that my request was now in the hands of the people that put together the letters and send out notifications, etc. He said he could not tell me what the decision was. Is that because he did not have it on the computer screen he was looking at or because of VA policy not to disclose that info verbally?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

There is a regulation that requires the VA give written notice of a decision, along with reasons and bases for it. However, the VA ignores their own regulation, with the courts blessing, and "deemed denies" Veterans. That is, Vets decisions are denied, "sub silento". In other words they are a silent or secret denial. Its a horrible injustice to Veterans.

Often we think the VA does things the same way at all 57 ROs. They dont. So we cant really answer if a particular RO managers policy is to not give out verbal decisions, because many of them "go their own way" anyway.

That being said, I agree with the ones who do not "give out" verbal decisions, and I will say why. Its not in a Vets best interest. Altho I know Vets are in a hurry to find out, they are best to read the decision in the mail. Why? Well, first of all their wont be a misunderstanding what was said if its in black and white. The Veteran can read it over, 10 times if he so desires, and have his wife read it, and take it to his VSO, if he likes, to explain it. This would not be very likely to happen if the decision was given verbally. If the Vet has the decision in his hand, he is less likely to either think its better, or worse, than it really is.

And he really needs the paper RO decision anyway, if he plans to appeal it. I do think they could be forwarded in IRIS (secure emails) so that Vets could print them if they like, and that would be faster. Because I am hard of hearing I just know I would get some of it wrong if they told me about it verbally.

Still another problem with a Verbal decision is that it would not be enforceable. "But ...you said I got 100 percent"....wouldnt cut it, while saying "The RO decision dated 11/23/2008 awarded 100% SC for PTSD." would be great evidence.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA has told me over the phone about a decision at least twice in the past. They obey their own rules sometimes.

• Community Admin/Founder

A truer statement was never made. Each regional office seems to be a little different in how they interpret the rules and how helpful they are to the individual veteran.

That is one of the things that makes it so difficult to help veterans who come here and ask us what the regional office should or should not tell them we know what the law says, but what individual regional offices do we only know from hearing from veterans around the country.

I personally find this particularly frustrating. But perhaps with so many of us spread across the country we can start to figure out how one regional office answers a question as opposed to another and what the laws supposed to be.

Now that would be interesting don't you think?

There is a regulation that requires the VA give written notice of a decision, along with reasons and bases for it. However, the VA ignores their own regulation, with the courts blessing, and "deemed denies" Veterans. That is, Vets decisions are denied, "sub silento". In other words they are a silent or secret denial. Its a horrible injustice to Veterans.

Often we think the VA does things the same way at all 57 ROs. They dont. So we cant really answer if a particular RO managers policy is to not give out verbal decisions, because many of them "go their own way" anyway.

That being said, I agree with the ones who do not "give out" verbal decisions, and I will say why. Its not in a Vets best interest. Altho I know Vets are in a hurry to find out, they are best to read the decision in the mail. Why? Well, first of all their wont be a misunderstanding what was said if its in black and white. The Veteran can read it over, 10 times if he so desires, and have his wife read it, and take it to his VSO, if he likes, to explain it. This would not be very likely to happen if the decision was given verbally. If the Vet has the decision in his hand, he is less likely to either think its better, or worse, than it really is.

And he really needs the paper RO decision anyway, if he plans to appeal it. I do think they could be forwarded in IRIS (secure emails) so that Vets could print them if they like, and that would be faster. Because I am hard of hearing I just know I would get some of it wrong if they told me about it verbally.

Still another problem with a Verbal decision is that it would not be enforceable. "But ...you said I got 100 percent"....wouldnt cut it, while saying "The RO decision dated 11/23/2008 awarded 100% SC for PTSD." would be great evidence.

• HadIt.com Elder

A truer statement was never made. Each regional office seems to be a little different in how they interpret the rules and how helpful they are to the individual veteran.

That is one of the things that makes it so difficult to help veterans who come here and ask us what the regional office should or should not tell them we know what the law says, but what individual regional offices do we only know from hearing from veterans around the country.

I personally find this particularly frustrating. But perhaps with so many of us spread across the country we can start to figure out how one regional office answers a question as opposed to another and what the laws supposed to be.

Now that would be interesting don't you think?

It's like the NCAA, we enforce the rules we like, when we want to.

This is where the VSO comes in - a Veterans Service Officer or their staff can look up that info for you in the system & tell you over the phone (if you've given them a Power of Attorney to represent you.)

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• Advertisemnt

• question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.

You can read the forums without registering.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines

<——>