VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Copy Of Claims-File

Rate this question

Wings

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

I am filling out

VA FORM 3288, REQUEST FOR AND CONSENT TO RELEASE OF INFORMATION FROM INDIVIDUAL'S RECORDS, OCT 1995 (rev.).

Is this the correct Form for requesting a complete copy of my claims-file?

What is the verbage for telling the RO I want the COMPLETE file (front, back, up, down and sideways).

How do I amswer the following 2 questions??? ~Wings

INFORMATION REQUESTED (Number each item requested and give the dates or approximate dates - period from and to - covered by each.)

PURPOSE(S) FOR WHICH THE INFORMATION IS TO BE USED.

Edited by Wings

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I never used that form Wings- I just sent them a letter and the c file documents came in a few weeks but that was years ago.

I think if they sent you the C file copy some time ago you can request -for no fee - any additional documents that are in it since the last request as the first complete C file request should be free.

• HadIt.com Elder

Wings,

We never used a form. We just sent a written request from my hubby (the veteran) requesting all information in his C-file under the Freedom of Information Act.

If you go to my website and look at Step 10, it says this:

• C-File:
  • This is the file that is created to hold your claim. In it will go all information gathered by the VA including C&P exams, doctor records, military documents, and other information as needed.
  • Freedom of Information Act:
  • Under the FOIA you are entitled to receive a copy of your C-File or parts thereof.

If you wish to have a copy of these records, you have two options.
    • You can make an appointment to go in person to view your file at the Regional Office and get copies at that time.
      • Send a letter to your VA Regional Office requesting copies of your C-File.

Be sure to mention the Freedom of Information Act in the letter itself. The letter has to come from the veteran or his appointed person.

On the outside of the envelope in the lower left-hand corner, write FOIA so it is directed to the correct section.

You don't have to give the purpose or how it will be used.

If you want the WHOLE file, then request the "whole file." If you have already received certain years, then narrow it down with the years you haven't received. You can request all or portions by just writing a letter.

Of course, include your social security number or the Claim File number so they can find it. (duh)

If you have already received a copy of the C-file, then remember that what is copied previously would not be copied again without a fee being charged. Only the new copying is free....and if you have never copied, of course.

That's really all you need. :)

one last thought....this is a good way to possibly get miitary records you were unable to obtain direct. Many times the VA can access stuff more easily than the veteran. That is why it is good to get the whole file.

fanaticbooks

Edited by fanaticbooks

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

The VA has totally ignored my hand-typed Letters over the past few years. The ONLY time they respond is when I send a VA Form. Thanks for helping me to remember to mention the FOIA! DUH, I completely forgot!! ~Wings

PS I remember PR had some verbage for the intented purpose ...

• HadIt.com Elder

Wings - I believe this is all I've ever used, which I usually send on the "Statement in Support of Claim" form, whatever number that one is.

"Dear Sirs:

Please consider this a request, under the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), for a free copy of my complete claims file.

Thanking you in advance, for your anticipated assistance,

I remain . . .

Sincerely;"

You may want to add something such as: "including all handwritten notes, post-its and all decision forms or blue sheets as they are sometimes known.

I believe the VA routinely withholds the blue sheets because it shows the names of the person who actually worked your claim(s).

I'm not sure but there may be a boilerplate letter in the VBM.

pr

I have tried 5 times over the past 2 years, filing the proper VA forms and they still have not given me a copy.

of my c-file.

RSG

This is not suprising. I had trouble getting my C file also..finally getting it more than a year after requested. Interestingly, I received a file about 3 inches thick, when my version was more than 15 inches thick. This means that thousands of pages of evidence was destroyed by the VA.

I sent an IRIS inquiring, basically, "Where is the rest of it", and they gave me a vague general answer suggesting that they dont send copies of "everything".