VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prostate Cancer

Rate this question

SP4RVN1971

Question

Hello, In August 2008 I got Prostate cancer, remove it October 2008. In January 2009 psa started go and by June 2009 psa was high enough to start Radiation treatment in July 2009. Watch my psa go slowly back up and by march of 2010 doctor's said they could help me should go to MD Anderson in Houston. Tx. At time I was told by a fellow Vet it could AO and i should go VA hospital. Went to MD Anderson and the Cancer in Lymph nodes and they said the Prostate cancer had metastatic. When i went VA Hospital to the Vietnam Vet. and found out about type II Diabetes, IHD. It is now January of 2011 and VA recieved all medical record and i went and my C and P at the VA Hospital in October 2010. How long should it take to get to the rater. This so file the next problem's am having.

• Answers 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Into this drug Zytiga for three months now, and if you look at the list of side effect******. It seem that the longer I'm on this drug, I see alot of these effect!

The Drug does slow down the PC!smile.png The problem is that the drug is hurting my liver and I fighting to lose weight, because of the prednisone.

VA has said if my platelet drop any more, they will stop giving me the Zytiga!!

I quess in a month or two I will have to find the next drug.

The cancer won't kill me, the drugs will. sad.png

I'm ok with this battle for life.

I'm just passing on information and for some people to think about this drug of choice. It might not have the side effect with other people!!

God bless!!

If you are taking ZYTIGA®:

• Take ZYTIGA® and prednisone exactly as your healthcare provider tells you. Your healthcare provider may change your dose if needed.
  • Do not stop taking your prescribed dose of ZYTIGA® or prednisone without talking to your healthcare provider first.
  • ZYTIGA® is supplied as 250-mg tablets and the usual dose of ZYTIGA® is four tablets taken once daily.
  • Take ZYTIGA® on an empty stomach. Do not take ZYTIGA® with food. Taking ZYTIGA® with food may cause more of the medicine to be absorbed by the body than is needed and this may cause side effects.
  • No food should be eaten 2 hours before and 1 hour after taking ZYTIGA®.
  • Your healthcare provider will do blood tests to check for side effects.
  • Men who are sexually active with a pregnant woman must use a condom during and for one week after treatment with ZYTIGA®. If their sexual partner may become pregnant a condom and another form of birth control must be used during and for one week after treatment with ZYTIGA®. Talk with your healthcare provider if you have any questions about birth control.

ZYTIGA® may cause serious side effects including:
    • High blood pressure (hypertension), low blood potassium levels (hypokalemia), and fluid retention (edema).
      Tell your healthcare provider if you get any of the following symptoms:
      • Dizziness****
      • Fast heartbeats****
      • Feel faint or lightheaded****
      • Headache****
      • Confusion*****
      • Muscle weakness****
      • Pain in your legs*****
      • Swelling in your legs or feet****

[*]Adrenal problems may happen if you stop taking prednisone, get an infection, or are under stress.

[*]Liver problems. Your healthcare provider will do blood tests to check your liver before treatment with ZYTIGA® and during treatment with ZYTIGA®.******

[*]The most common side effects of ZYTIGA® include:

[*]Joint swelling or pain

[*]Muscle aches*****

[*]Hot flushes************

[*]Diarrhea****

[*]Urinary tract infection

[*]Cough

[*]Irregular heartbeats*****

[*]Urinating more often than normal******

[*]Need to get up at night to urinate******

[*]Heartburn****

[*]Cold-like symptoms*********

[*]Bone fractures

[*]Tell your healthcare provider if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.

• HadIt.com Elder

Warren Buffet at age 85 got prostate cancer and the entire world is alarmed and weeping. He seems like an all right guy for a billionaire, but where is the pity for the thousands of RVN vets who have died from prostate cancer or who have it now? I don't see a flash on the news where it says " John Doe, Vietnam Vet, has agent orange related prostate cancer. John Doe risked his life many times in Vietnam and was wounded. Now he is too sick with prostate cancer to work. Everybody please send this patriot 100 dollars express mail before his family starves". Do you think you will ever see that on NBC, ABC or CBS nightly news?

Warren Buffet at age 85 got prostate cancer and the entire world is alarmed and weeping. He seems like an all right guy for a billionaire, but where is the pity for the thousands of RVN vets who have died from prostate cancer or who have it now? I don't see a flash on the news where it says " John Doe, Vietnam Vet, has agent orange related prostate cancer. John Doe risked his life many times in Vietnam and was wounded. Now he is too sick with prostate cancer to work. Everybody please send this patriot 100 dollars express mail before his family starves". Do you think you will ever see that on NBC, ABC or CBS nightly news?

John999, The world is so up side down. It's all the Vietnam Vet's that die in 1970's from unknow sickness and the next generation children, to the 1980's well maybe there something to this Agent Orange. To the 1990's, ok y'all caught us, will try and see what we can come up with maybe some money, gives us three or four years to see if we can find a legal way out. Now that 100,000's and alot more dead. The goverment save all that money in 70's80's, and 1990's "Billion's" and all I can think of???? Its time take my cancer medicine.

Warren Buffet is stage 1, which more than half of the 82 year olds have stage 1. Maybe there will be a statue of him next to the Vietnam wall!

Being P&T and I'm thankful for the money! Its a drop in the bucket for my PC,DMII,PN, and IHD and many other problems.

Damn them, these soldier's come from these war's are going need alot of help. I will not let them be unnotice in thier fight for there right's.

I can see that the soldiers in the Gulf war 1 are having cancer which have no connection with the Gulf war, and 40 year's later. Oh we think that there might be a connection!!! History repeats itseft again, and again!

VA can talks the talk, but can't walk it. Look to the Congress!!!

When to the VA Hospital for test on Friday and for the doctors to look at me and say " there is nothing we can do. Continue going to MD Anderson and we will supply the Zytiga Cancer drug. The blood platelet are stable now and found out that the Diabetes medicine was causing the low blood platelet. 90,000 blood platelet, and psa 0.3

Va doctor's also look into my pain or my Peripheral neuropathy. Which on their records they call it Paralysis of Sciatic nerve 60% left leg and 40% right leg. Left side pretty bad now! The hand's at 10% and I think it's all getting worst. sad.png They say go to your outside primary doctor and get him to raise the level lyrica. Right now I'm at 300 mg twice a day, I don't know about increase???? The side effect are tough.

On Monday,I went to MD Anderson to do a CT and bone scan. The test came back great and the tumors have shrunk. Now on the the drug Zytiga for 6 months and being told that I can continue for another 6 to 12 months!smile.png

If you have PC, tell your doctor about it. I met two Vet's down in Houston and they have started Zytiga and they having great results.

The VA approved Provenge for me but not Zytiga at less than half price.

I found out that with the Provenge I would have to have a port installed for 6 weeks because my

veins were too small.

They won't approve Zytiga because my cancer has not metastasized.

I chickened out on the Provenge for right now because of the port infection danger and no showering or swimming for

6 weeks.

I really wanted to wait until after the 19th of July because I will have been on Salvestrol Platinum 2000 for a

month and am anxious to see if it affects my cancer.

Gerry Potter invented Zytiga. He says Salvestrol is better. If you are interested

google Gerry Potter, Dan Burke and Salvestrol.

That's great about VA wanting to give you provenge and so happy that your PC has not Metastasis. The doctor's at MD Anderson said the next drug I will go on will provenge.

I will google these people and check out your drug Salvestrol and yes I'm interested with other drugs!!

Good luck and God bless