VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prostate Cancer

Rate this question

SP4RVN1971

Question

Hello, In August 2008 I got Prostate cancer, remove it October 2008. In January 2009 psa started go and by June 2009 psa was high enough to start Radiation treatment in July 2009. Watch my psa go slowly back up and by march of 2010 doctor's said they could help me should go to MD Anderson in Houston. Tx. At time I was told by a fellow Vet it could AO and i should go VA hospital. Went to MD Anderson and the Cancer in Lymph nodes and they said the Prostate cancer had metastatic. When i went VA Hospital to the Vietnam Vet. and found out about type II Diabetes, IHD. It is now January of 2011 and VA recieved all medical record and i went and my C and P at the VA Hospital in October 2010. How long should it take to get to the rater. This so file the next problem's am having.

• Answers 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The word is ZYTIGA!

One month on this drug and the Prostate cancer has taken hit!

It is still there, but it's like a battle that I won! The end of the war will be delay due to this drugs!

My psa drop to .3 in one month. This not a cure, but give hope to this Metastasis Prostate cancer!

• HadIt.com Elder

Great news..anything that will aid in the battle with Prostate Cancer or any other Cancer.

My PSA went from 4.6 to seven years later .03 after taking 33 radiation treatments in 2004-05.

Prostate Cancer caught earlier has high cure rate.Wish Breast Cancer & other Cancers had that high of suvivor numbers.

I'm sure all of the Agent Orange Pca guys are wishing you well.

My civilian oncologist wants to get me on Provenge but from what I have read, Zytiga

is a newer and better solution.

Is the VA furnishing the Zytiga? Anyone else having the VA pay for Zytiga?

They VA was giving me Zoladex that worked for almost a year and just last week put me on Eligard.

It's not working but they figure I would be worse off without it.

I have a Medicare Advantage insurance but had rather the VA "thank me for my service" by

providing me the med rather than paying a large co-pay to my Medicare Advantage coverage.

Please keep us posted.

I know Zytiga is not a cancer cure but if it can keep me alive long enough to die of something else; it's worth it.

capted

The word is ZYTIGA!

One month on this drug and the Prostate cancer has taken hit!

It is still there, but it's like a battle that I won! The end of the war will be delay due to this drugs!

My psa drop to .3 in one month. This not a cure, but give hope to this Metastasis Prostate cancer!

• HadIt.com Elder

For those with AO cancers consider the DOD knowingly sent you into harm's way and poisoned you. The VA owes you the best care available. The bastards will try and weasal out of it I am sure and write you off as an "oops". Make a fuss if they don't give you best available care. You guys sacrificed a great deal while many sitting on piles of money today hid from the draft or avoided serving in Vietnam. If they feel no shame you should feel no fear about acting up to get best care.

John

I'm sure all of the Agent Orange Pca guys are wishing you well.

My civilian oncologist wants to get me on Provenge but from what I have read, Zytiga

is a newer and better solution.

Is the VA furnishing the Zytiga? Anyone else having the VA pay for Zytiga?

They VA was giving me Zoladex that worked for almost a year and just last week put me on Eligard.

It's not working but they figure I would be worse off without it.

I have a Medicare Advantage insurance but had rather the VA "thank me for my service" by

providing me the med rather than paying a large co-pay to my Medicare Advantage coverage.

Please keep us posted.

I know Zytiga is not a cancer cure but if it can keep me alive long enough to die of something else; it's worth it.

capted

Capted,

Provenge vs Zytiga

The two problems with Provenge is 1.) they have take your blood and re- inject it back into you . It's all about timing 2.) the co pay was outrageous + they at MD Anderson did'nt no if would work. But that was the first choice. I told them that could not afford 12K out of pocket.

VA in Dallas said, since I was working with MD Anderson that they would get me Zytiga Drug.

This was 2 weeks ago and hope to start in April, and that they want to do is monitor my Blood. They say that this drug is hard on the Liver?

So far after two months, the side of effect are ok.

The Doctor's at MD said in test with this drug that people have control the PC for up to 18 months, But the normal is 6-8 monthssmile.png

I so far I think, I made the right choice. Zytiga with insurance the co-pay is $50.00, without $5,637.80

If it last for 6-8 months I will take it!

You have to take with the Zytiga, 5mg of Prednisone each day.

Bad news for Prostate Cancer and good news for us that have it!!

According to a media release from Janssen Research & Development (a unit of Johnson & Johnson), an independent trial monitoring committee has advised the company to stop the randomized, Phase III clinical trial of abiraterone acetate + predisone compared to a placebo + prednisone in treatment of chemotherapy-naïve patients with metastatic, castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC).

The phase III clinical studies on abiraterone (Zytiga) both in chemotherapy-treated and chemotherapy-untreated patients have been stopped early due to positive results, so that the patients in the placebo arm may also receive benefits of the drug.The first Phase III study was halted after a clear, median 4-month extended survival point had been reached. So all that be can said from this study is that it gave a median 4-month survival benefit, but this does not tell the real story of longer-term survivors on this drug.For long-term survival we need to look at the survivors from the initial trials. There is at least one 8-year survivor from the original Phase I trial and there are several 4-year survivors from the Phase II trials. There are also many 2-year survivors from the first enrollment of patients into the ongoing phase III studies. Although it is too early to tell the long-term benefits, these are positive signs. These are significant because the trials were carried out in the most difficult of prostate cancer cases, on the most resistant forms of prostate cancer that had failed all other therapies, including docetaxel chemotherapy. The typical average life expectancy of this cohort is about 14 months, so any life extension above that is good.smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png