VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vfw Will Defeat Bachmann Plan

Rate this question

allan

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

fwd from: Colonel Dan

VFW Will Defeat Bachmann Plan

WASHINGTON (January 28, 2011) — America's oldest and largest major combat veterans' organization announced it will do everything within its power to defeat a plan introduced by Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) to cut $4.5 billion from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

"No way, no how, will we let this proposal get any traction in Congress," said Richard L. Eubank, the national commander of the 2.1 million-member Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S. and its Auxiliaries.

On her website, the three-term congresswoman lists more than $400 billion in suggestions to cut federal spending. The VA suggestion would cap increases to VA healthcare spending, and reduce disability compensation to account for Social Security Disability Insurance payments — in other words, an offset. She says her plan is intended to generate discussion.

"The only discussion the VFW wants is to tell the congresswoman that her plan is totally out of step with America's commitment to our veterans," said Eubank, a retired Marine and Vietnam combat veteran from Eugene, Ore.

"There are certain things you do not do when our nation is at war, and at the top of that list is not caring for our wounded and disabled servicemen and women when they return home," he said. "I want the congresswoman to join us in a tour of the Minneapolis VA Medical Center and Poly Trauma Center the next time she's in her home district to witness firsthand the great work the VA does every day to heal their wounds and ease their pain. Then I want her to look those disabled veterans in the eye and tell them their service and sacrifice is too expensive for the nation to bear.

"The day this nation can't afford to take care of her veterans is the day this nation should quit creating them," said Eubank.

-30-

"Keep on, Keepin' on"

Dan Cedusky, Champaign IL "Colonel Dan"

See my web site at:

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/VeteranIssues/

• Answers 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

No surprize to me.

My SSD and VA benefits combined is about equal to the VA Pension award for vet with spouce. If SSD benefits were stopped, it would put me in a position to have to file for VA pension. I can see quite a few Vets may have to do the same thing. In turn doing nothing but putting more strain on Pension benefits.

If they offset SSD, then your medicare is stopped also. Doing nothing but shifting the health care need to the VA system.

Why can't they keep their hands off of earned benefits? And why do they try to re-lable them as entitlements?

Thanks for allowing open discussion for this post.

Allan

This will likely result is a "pink slip" for Bachman. It is well known the AARP will fierecely attack any politician who messes with their social security benefits.

I only wish that Veterans lobbyists were as well funded and well organized as the powerfull AARP. You see Seniors are united in making the politicians keep their grubby paws off their social security check. But the Veteran community is divided between Iraq Vets, Gulf War, VN, WW2, combat Vets, non combat Vets, etc.

I do think there are enough seniors, who are also Veterans, to beat this plan.

This is not the first time a discussion to offset VA compensation and Social Security has come up. Likely it will not be the last time.

As has already been mentioned by someone ... if your retired from Federal Civil service, your federal retirement is already offset ( passed into law I think 1984) by 60% because we also get Social Security. If they were to offset it because of VA disability, I wouldn't get a dime of Social security,

I really don't think it will pass muster anyway because most politicans realize that veterans paid into the social security system before and after service and va and SS have nothing to do with the other.

At a time when we are at war, even to suggest cutting VA health care is stupid. I really don't think it will affect her re-election but I think the idea was ill concived on her part.

While we must all understand the need to cut cost, going after veterans in this way is just plain stupid, expecially when there are so many other areas that should be cut first. Such as foreign aid, Farm Subsidies, etc.

Edited by Teac

All of you have made the same point I was talking to my wife about. If I had not joined the service I would not have these medical issues that I have now. I worked in the medical field for almost twenty years earning good money, I would have continued to pay into my 401k for over 40 years and had that and my SS to retired on; without offset. I did join the military and I do have these issues; and I can not return to work. Does that mean that I forfiet what I paid in to SS; because I'm service connected. I don't have SSD yet but I have applied and this makes me very nervous, because while the money from SSD is great. It is really the medicare that would be the jewel, since I have had a pacemaker put in because I was passing out for what seemed no reason. I went to a VA cardiologist last week because after having the pacemaker for months now I am still passing out. His recommendation? WAIT AND SEE! In other words wait until I possibly die and thats when they will be able to figure out what is wrong with me. Medicare would give me options and probably SAVE my life. She is one of the biggest farm subsidy receivers in congress why doesn't she give up her health insurance and farm welfare first before she touches Vets benefits. like Carlie always says this is IMHO.

/doc

Edited by navydoc2

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I think those in power should first work toward eliminating wasteful spending instead of slashing VA and/or SSDI benefits.

• HadIt.com Elder

After some more thought I don't believe that the VFW will help me either. Unfortunately for many Veterans its every Vet for themselves.