Sponsored Ads

• Latest Donations

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
Sign in to follow this  
autumn

Va Docs & Disability Statements

Question

i had to get an IME which turned out to be just and in my favor.

but i would like to know this, and this question may be in the wrong topic area:

i have a SS claim in and no VA doctor will write a statement regarding my condition. they wouldn't write a note to a temp job last year when i attempted a few weeks of work.

i am getting a monthly check from SSD, but SSD wrote i wasn't to get retro due to my MS and spinal diseases didn't start until a year ago.

i got the IME and got service connected and recently had another C&P and that doc said i was 100% disabled and can no longer work. said he was going to write that in his report --- we'll see.

so, my question centers around my VA doctors won't write note so i can give it to SSD regarding i've had this issue and disabilities for some time, they just didnt' happen last year.

i guess i'm just dumb founded that the doctors won't do that or am i expecting too much. i meant they wouldn't even diagnose me, the C&P docs did so maybe that is why they won't write anything in support of me.

i feel pretty odd at the SS office telling them i have no doctor at the VA who will write anything regarding my condition and that i've had it and disabilities way before last year.

dumbfounded

I had the same problems when I got into VA system but now my PCP routinely fills out paperwork that helps me.

I thin k most of the overloaded docs don't want to start doing that for all their patients they just don't have time

Ad

Same problem here too, but my PCP doesn't help with any of my documentation unless it is for short/long term disability.

I feel your frustration, Autumn.

It's really a dart toss whether you get someone who'll write you a letter.

I was lucky to have a contract neurologist through a local hospital who wrote me a wonderful letter (even changed the wording of it once I learned how important key phrases are).

I gave my primary care NP an example letter to make it easy; she responded that she couldn't sign the letter because she hadn't written it.

Well, DUH- it was just an example of what I needed in my letter.

Anyway, some folks go to Voc Rehab or PT and are able to get a helpful statement from them in their records that doesn't require money out of pocket.

Keep asking and good luck! :smile:

A few years ago I had a VA PCP that would write anything for me. That did not last as that doctor moved on and I got one who won't write anything. It is frustrating. I have to go and get an IME or IMO if I want to get anything.

The VA doctors have somewhat conflicting guidance. They are allowed to write opinions, etc. for NON VA purposes. They have the discretion to not do so.

On the other hand , SSA reviews medical records, including the VA's. Actually, SSA usually pays state agencies to do the review, etc.

The records supposedly are enough when they show treatment, severity, etc. If they are not, SSA can order an exam.

The real problem is that while you might get an unwilling VA doctor to write an opinion, you likely would not want to do so.

You may need to request another PCP. Talking to the patient affairs or advocate might help.

Actually, this is an old problem that has occurred more often than it should.

I did have a VA doctor write an opinion (Short) using an obsolete VA form some years back.

The doctor was a "contract" doctor at a VA contractor run clinic.

The VA RO ignored the opinion, although it had some validity at the appeals level.