Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Good News

Rate this topic

JohnO

I just received a phone call from the VA regional claims in Columbia, SC, that my initial ratings total 70% with several other claims deferred awaiting further testing/information. Highest rating was 30% PTSD. Diabetes was rated 20%. Tinnitus was 10% and I can't remember what the other 10% was for.

I live in the Houston area and have tried five times over the past 20+ years to file claims at the Houston regional office. Every time I allowed myself to get frustrated and give up. No need going into it any more than that.

I live anywhere from 4 to 6 months a year in the Myrtle Beach area. I'd discussed my frustrations on trying to break through the bureaucracy in Houston with veterans I know in Carolina. They told me to give Myrtle Beach outpatient clinic and Charleston hospital a try. I did. May 26, 2010, the American Legion vet representative in Conway, SC (near Myrtle Beach), filed an informal claim by phone on my behalf. We followed the phone claim immediately with claims for PTSD, diabetes with diabetic neuropathy secondary, tinnitus, hearing loss, hypertension and some other things.

I was into and out of the Myrtle Beach clinic within days, seeing a psychiatrist and general practitioner. Within two weeks, I received a letter with appointments for C&P exams in Charleston. Within six weeks from May 26th, I'd had C&Ps for diabetes, hearing, PTSD, and some other deficiencies that escape me at the moment. I received regular updates by mail that work on my claims was ongoing. Today, I received the phone call clearing up a few discrepancies so paperwork could be finalized.

I was also told that additional claims made in my original filing were being deferred. I'm optimistic that some of those claims will be granted.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is GREAT news John and it sounds like you now have a great AL NSO rep and a great VARO and VAMC.

"Every time I allowed myself to get frustrated and give up."

I am so glad you tried again. The AO DMII claim -might have a good retro date if that was ever denied in the past.

And if you aren't working I bet they deferred TDIU if the form was filed yet.(21-8940 form)

There are by far more good people at the VA in every setting-VARO and VAMC,in the clinics etc- than bad people and it is nice to give good VA employees credit for their concern and care.This is uplifting news!!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

This is real good news. There havs not been too many succes stories lately. I hope yours is one of many to come in the near future.

J

Edited by jbasser

Thanks for the kind replies.

I don't think the VA rep that called me had applied all of my percentages awarded (30 + 20 + 10 + 10) to the fuzzy math schedule. If I calculate it correctly, then I should get a 60% initial award instead of the 70%. I'll know in a week or so when I get my letter.

I still have other claims that are still being reviews and I can also get busy on some appeals for higher ratings.

I actually started this process back in 1971, I have my old blue VA card with the appointment scheduled on the back. It is too much to hope for, getting the VA to admit seeing me back in 1971 for some of the complaints that I have today.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use