Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Good News

Rate this topic

JohnO

I just received a new award letter. This was in response to C&Ps triggered by my original claims dated May 28, 2010. The new letter is confusing. I hope someone can help me out.

My last award was noted at the beginning of this thread. It totaled 70%, with TDIU 100% awarded. The 70% is broken down as follows:

30% ALS

30% Coronary Artery Disease (Agent Orange)

20% DMII (Agent Orange)

10% Tinnitus

I'll share information on the ALS award in the ALS forum.

My new C&Ps were for my original ALS claim, peripheral neuropathy of all four limbs related to either my motor neuron disease (ALS) or to DMII, and sleep apnea.

The front page of my awards letter states the following:

$2,919 start Jul 1, 2010, original award

3,239 start Apr 1, 2011 Special Monthly Compensation Adjustment

2,919 start Jul 1, 2011 Special Monthly Compensation Adjustment

3,023 start Dec 1, 2011 Cost of Living Adjustment

3,354 start Feb 1, 2012 Special Monthly Compensation Adjustment

The $3,354 is from the 12/1/2011 Special Monthly Compensation Rate Table. "S" rate for veteran with spouse is $3,255. Another $99 is added from same table, "K" award. The explanation for the $99 addional award is that it is "usually added to another rate...when (the) percentage is zero." I do not know what this means.

July 1, 2010 is the start date of my original award, claim filed May 28, 2010

April 1, 2011 is the date my CAD award went temporarily from 30% to 100%, I had quintuple bypass surgery. I was awarded 3 months at 100%.

July 1, 2011 my CAD was lowered back from 100% to 30%.

February 1, 2012, SMC adjustment, my CAD was increased from 30% to 100%. This is based on a January 19, 2012 filing on my behalf by the Paralyzed Veterans VSO at Houston Regional. I will give more detail on this below.

I filed for an increase in my CAD award from 30% to 70% based on my stress test and other cardiac tests indicating that my ejection fraction was within the limit for the 70% award. I was denied this increase on July 1, 2011 because I filed insufficient evidence supporting my claim. My cardiologist simply wrote a letter to the VA stating that I was under his care and that my METs and ejection fraction warranted a 70% award.

I had two C&P exams triggered by the Paralyzed Veterans letter dated January 19, 2012. Both were scheduled within 8 weeks. There were some claims on my original filing (May 28, 2010) that had not been C&P'd or that required addional information or followup. Included in my two C&P exams were the following:

Neurological exam for possible ALS or other neuromuscular or motor neuron disease

Exam for peripheral neuropathy, claims filed for all four extremities.

Sleep apnea

hypertension

erectile dysfunction

I was awarded the following adjustments to my original claim:

50% Sleep apnea associated with ALS

30% right arm peripheral neuropathy, also claimed as diabetic neuropathy associated w/ DMII

20% left arm peripheral neuopathy, also claimed as diabetic neuropathy, associated w/ DMII

20% left leg peripheral neuopathy, also claimed as diabetic neuropathy, associated w/ DMII

20% right leg peripheral neuopathy, also claimed as diabetic neuropathy, asso. w/ DMII

100% ALS, minimum award for this diagnosis

Lumped in with the PN awards were erectile dysfunction and hypertension. No amounts were given for these two but the VA acknowledged the two diseases.

---------------------

Based on what I've written above, any advise about how to proceed?

I've got to say that from the start, my claims filings and my exams have gone smoothly. From start at 0% on May 28, 2010, to my award of 100%, letter dated July 30, 2012, I'm satisfied with the VA's efficiency and handling on my claims. I started with the Myrtle Beach clinic to file my initial claims, did my initial C&Ps at Charleston, had initial claims review by Columbia, had my files transfered to Houston Regional, and have used DeBakey VA Hospital in Houston as my primary hospital. I have no complaints.

Edited by JohnO

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't go out with money burning in your hands and buy an expensive toy. Wait a few months after you get the retro and let it cool down. Consider what it is like to have multiple thousands in the bank and how that can aide your sleep. You are practically a capitalist.

John

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use