Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iris Response About Nehmer Claims Imapct

Rate this question

JHawks

Question

I asked my Senior VSO who's office is inside the Atlanta RO if the rumor that all claims are stopped while they work just on Nehmer and AO claims. She responded quickly and put the rumors to rest. Here is her email:

There is a special team that does handle the Nehmer claims, but the rumor that these are the only claims that are being worked are not true. There is a priority to complete older claims first.

Janice xxxxxxxxx

Claims and Appeals Officer

SDVS

phone# 404-

fax# 404-

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

One of the priority ways to handle older Nehmer claims is to transfer them somewhere else. I.E. Atlanta to Bay Pines. Reduces the older claims count, and, I'll bet dollars to Donuts that the receiving VARO gets to start the clock over.

I asked my Senior VSO who's office is inside the Atlanta RO if the rumor that all claims are stopped while they work just on Nehmer and AO claims. She responded quickly and put the rumors to rest. Here is her email:

There is a special team that does handle the Nehmer claims, but the rumor that these are the only claims that are being worked are not true. There is a priority to complete older claims first.

Janice xxxxxxxxx

SDVS

phone# 404-

fax# 404-

Janice xxxxxxxxx

SDVS

phone# 404-

fax# 404-

DUH - and guess what most claims have as the older dates, Nehmer.

A RVN vet could have requested SC for cardiac conditions 10 - 40 years ago and been denied.

The VARO's now have to (well at least are supposed to) try and make contact with all these

claimants, or their living spouse/grown children, to get these claims re-adjudicated.

If an RO has 8 decision makers, for now, about 6 of those decision makers are on Nehmer claims.

Most VARO's provide free office space for service organizations.

Put it this way - I do know what goes on at St.Pete VARO, on the 3rd floor and Nehmer claims

are priority one to get C&P's ordered and claims adjudicated.

It's being taken very seriously there - and is surely not a rumor.

This is my understanding.

You are surely welcome to print this out and take a copy to your "Senior VSO".

If they dispute it - then I know they are talking crap.

One good reason these Nehmer claims are getting special handling is found in the Nehmer Training Guide.

And if you know the entire history of Nehmer regarding the VA -you will understand that NVLSP isn't going to put up with any lousy adjudication on these claims.

There will not be a Deja vu of how VA treated Nehmer claims in the past in their attempt (which was often successful) to withhold millions of retro AO comp from AO veterans.