Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Here And Not Sure What To Do

Rate this question

bandit22

Question

Hello, I'm not sure where to start. I am currently going to the VA for Chronic Depression and Anxiety. I have been out of the Army since 2006 and its been a constant struggle ever since. After suffering for 2 years I finally went to the VA for help 2008. I was pretty much called a liar and told nothing was really wrong with me. They gave me some depression medicine and sent me on my way. I was very disgruntle about the way my visit went and decided I could handle this on my own. Well now it's 2011 and I recently went back to the VA for help after spending the last 3 years steadily worsening. I have not been able to keep a job or be productive in society at all. My depression and anxiety has gotten to the point that its hard for me to even go outside or be apart of society. I hate driving and evening riding with someone is hard (I was in logistics while in Iraq). I just have no idea what I am suppose to do. Im so lost and can not take feeling and being this way. Thanks for any type of advice and help. Feel free to ask any questions

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Bandit,

You're doing the right thing by asking for assistance.

I agree that a Vet Center would be your best first stop, and a Veteran Service Officer (VSO) like the VFW or DAV to file your claim.

Don't accept substandard care and disrespect from your VA. I'm not saying get rude or belligerent; just document who said what, the issues you're facing and keep us informed.

You can also go to Patient Advocate with your complaints but don't consider that to be the solution.

Hang in there - we're rooting for you! :smile:

Hey there Bandit :)

Im also a OEF/OIF vet. Hang in there! you are not alone! I too am suffering from some of the same things you are.. If you feel you cant hang in there contact the Va hotline. if you can hold out for a lil bit the first step i took was going to my local Disabled american veterans office. The person I spoke with there is not a psych but a counselor. He sat me down and let me tell him my whole life story then ran a PTSD screening on me. They can put you in counseling with one of the Veterans Helping Veterans counseling groups or he might suggest some one on one counseling. Next step after that is head down to your local VA clinic and ask to speak with what ever case worker that is assigned to your group and tell them that you are in DIRE! need to speak with one of the Va psychs. the case worker will get you going in the right direction. And as far as them telling you in one visit that no your liar you dont have ptsd that is absurd. They need to run screenings on you! like Kelly said below dont take sub standard responses or care from the VA stand your ground and be firm with them. If they tell you no sorry you cannot speak with your assigned case worker ask why and when you could speak with them. If they tell you sorry we cant see you for a couple of weeks tell them that this is a DIRE! emergency and they really cannot wait that long. FIRST AND FOREMOST! SEEEEEEEKKKK HELLLLLP! them after you start getting treatment or feel you got a better hold of things then you should start on working that claim for PTSD through the DAV or one of you local vso's. Hope all is well and hang in there! and god bless if you need to talk to someone send me an email with your info i would gladly speak with you :)