Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Being 100% P/t

Rate this topic

stillhere

Congrats Ron! I know you were one happy man and had a great christmas 2010. I got my 100 % unemployability in one fell swoop in October of last year. I got SSDI in May of last year. I was homeless and in the per diem program in CA. I was an a way a victim of the great recession. After the recession started I could no longer make ends meet and I become homeless. Two years ago I was sleeping in my car and unaware of my benefits and learning about the local shelters. I was unaware of even a local program for homeless vets. I was having panic attacks and went in to the VA clinic because I thought I was about to die. They could find nothing physically wrong with me and sent me to the Psychiatrist that was on duty and she diagnosed me (after a lengthy interview) and also told me about a program for homeless vets. I have been dealing with a mood disorder for years that prevented me from working certain jobs around people. I worked best by myself but had a hard time working by a schedule. I knew something was wrong and I had sought treatment periodically through the years which actually help create a paper trail back to my military service. But at the time I was unaware of SC or pensions. And when I was assigned and talked to my mental heath case worker/ counselor after being admitted into the per diem program and he found out that I was treated while in the service for mental health reasons he told me that I had a possible "service connection disability." I had never heard of that before. We requested my records and the mental health records were lost but in my regular medical records there was noted that I was given medication that is only used for psychiatric reasons. After that documentation the game was afoot and in 13 months I had both SSDI (7 months) and my SC (13 months.) and 100 % at that with back pay.

I too struggle with revealing my source of income with people. This forum thread has been helpful and have given me some ideas. It is comforting to know that others have the same problems. I think some people are jealous. But I thank God for my income because in this economy I don't think I would be able to hang. I also struggle with the idea that even though my disability is service connected I don't believe that it is service caused like PSTD. (Bi-Polar runs in my family.) I was just lucky I was diagnosed while in the military and treated and had a paper trail that created a nexus between my service and my present unemployability. What a difference 2 years make? From being hopeless and homeless and ignorant and depressed to now having my physical needs met and freedom to deal with my illness (limitations) with out the stress of having to make ends meet and keep body and soul together.

I let as few people as possible know about my disability. People react funny and also will use it against you at the drop of a hat.

Fellow Veteran's

I WAS AWARDED 100% ssdi and Christmas day 2010 all funds arrived in to my bank account from the VA

I was awarded 100% PTSD, 10% Tinnitus and 20% Hearing loss for a total of 130%

Permanent & Total Disability for life.

I'm gratful I service my country as a Marine in Da Nang back in 69/70 did my time and

am now paying the price for my service. At lease im set for the future with both SSDI and P&T disablity.

Dont ever give up in your hopes to obtain both. I was persistance and hard headed just like and Marine

in the end won my case in 357 days to funds arrived xmas day 2010 from the Los Angeles Regional VA Office.

Now I'm now back on my feet, no longer homeless on the street thanks to the VA help and my service

to my country paying me back now.

NO matter what your issues are, there is always light at the end of the tunnel and a future. Its keeping

your Dog in the fight that wins in the end.

PTSD is not a cureable problem it only managed my meds and classes I attend for PTSD weekly

Only a word of advise to all.

Be lucky we have what we do and dont ever feel your left out in the street.

Because im a example of one of the thousand who had nothing on the edge of dying and

my country came to my aid gave me new life. Both SSDI and the VA made correct to me.

So hang in there the best you can and have faith..never give up God helps the correct and righteous

Semper Fi

Recon Ron

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

I am rated at 100% TDIU and I feel I have NO ONE to answer to for my service connected disabilities nor does any other Vet who has a service connected disability from the V.A......

As long as you did not get your disability by fraud, them I SALUTE and thank you for your service to our great country..... :biggrin:

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use