• donate-be-a-hero.png

Being 100% P/t

Rate this topic

stillhere

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really is no one's business. I bet you don't go around asking others when/how they retired...or when/how they get/got disability from who also. So just say you took an early retirement. I tell the nosey one's which is the truth. I did take an early retirement but the circumstances are private, as I never tell anything more, just early retirement. Besides people knew I worked for so many years. Also I tell them I invested wisely. Period. As we all know as vets we did invest...our bodies, mind, spirit. Get what you deserve, and the VA won't give any hand outs, so LIVE and try to find some joy with "your retirement!"

• HadIt.com Elder

You can tell them you are an artist. ( Sit back and draw)

I vote for retired.

If anyone asks, tell them it is a leagal matter that you cannot discuss.

J

I couldn't give two squats what strangers think about my status, but I have to say it hurt when my brother said a few things. My mom knew about my problems, and told him. When I last saw him he said things like "What exactly is your problem? Why can't you work in an office? I was in for 22 years and my back kills me - you don't see me running to the VA for anything. Besides, you seem fine whenever I see you...."

I felt awful and ashamed for weeks after that. Then I got to thinking....

Hah... 'Whenever he sees me.' That would be exactly 7 times in the last 20 years. It will be even less in the next 20 years.

I'll be damned if I'm going to let him make me feel bad about myself. He's not a doctor, not a therapist, not in any way qualified to evaluate me.

So there.

• 4 weeks later...

I try to keep my personal business to my self - as I too have experienced similar

responses. I just don't bring it up. If someone ask me I tell them that I made

some good investments early in life.

Sometimes people, even family members, will try to use information against you.

It's no ones business and I think sometimes we just give out TMI.

Don't let them get to you - you earned whatever you have.

OMG, I thought I was the only one! I've been TDIU since 1993. I tell people I'm retired, and was good with investments.

At one time, I was open about being a disabled Veteran, but then people would want to pry into the "reason" I'm disabled. I just couldn't deal with it. PTSD is something you don't "share" with someone who can't/won't understand. The MS hit me, but no one could tell, at first. When I started dating again, I had one man all but run out of the house, when he learned I had MS (guess he thought he could catch it from the air?)! Now, it's obvious something is wrong, as my gait is screwed up, but past experiences have taught me to keep quiet. Now, it's strictly a need to know basis. I can not tolerate pity, can't stand the "you look fine to me", or "at least you look great" (not legally allowed to slap the sh^t out of them), and have to watch out for those that are knowledgeable, concerning benefits, who want to take advantage. Yep, there are those out there that look for us (disabled Veterans), in hopes that they can benefit off of us! You also have the IDIOTS that feel we are all scamming off the Government, or those that feel we are "lucky" not to "have to work".... ugh!

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use