Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Finally

Rate this question

WVSERVER

Question

I finally received the form letter from VA Huntington that they received my app for benefits. It’s there desire to give me a prompt decision but the are seriously back logged which could cause a delay. Plus they are evaluating rather or not more evidence is needed.

I know it just a form letter but a least I know they received it. Now I am praying they only take a few months. However I know it un-realistic to expect anything from them before the 18month mark.

• Answers 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi there! I am in the same boat waiting for my initial rating. I have multiple claims too. I did my BDD in Jun 2011 & retired in Sep 2011. So next month will be a year since I filed. What's crazy about my case is that when I called to check on it, they said my claim has been in the final stage with the review board since Sep! So, I guess the board must be arguing over something, because I don't see how it can be in the final stage and still take this long. Oh well, that's the VA. I have been using this site for 3 years, long before I retired & it has been awesome. So I'm sure when I finally do get a rating, I will be back on here saying, "What the hell is this"! blink.png

Just want to check in and vet a little. It has been a very long road for me to this point.

Well still no movement on my initial claim. I am looking at taking some leave from work so I can go to my VARO.

I know no of the following is really relevant but it helps me to let it out. I have been having a lot of medical problems as of late and low and behold another doctor put his finger on GAD that I have been hiding very well for most of my life now.

This issue got so bad during my AIR FORCE time it what drove me out. The doctor simply told be if we diagnosis you with GAD/Depression your career is over you will get a medical discharge that will keep you from getting any jobs once you are out. So I did my time hide the GAD and was back doored MEB/PED at the last second for sleep apnea and then was honorable discharged.

I have not seen a doctor since but as the years have gone on the GAD has worsened. I had hope of getting on a police department somewhere but that is dashed now officially as I have gone on record seeking help.

I took some anxiety tests and scored and 88 which was in the severe range. Also took an anxiety personality test and scored a 98. So anyway I just need an outlet and I am singing off. Thanks Hadit for listening.

I know it is something you probably don't want to do, because you would rather keep it to yourself. But, you should go to your psych doc at the VA on a regular basis. This is both for treatment and to demonstrate to the VA that you are serious about your conditions and are trying to get better.

Well it looks like at the 16 month mark I my claim may be making some progress. I got a letter this week from my VARO that the VAMC nearest to my address would be contacting me for a C&P.

So with that said I not at the beginning and a little closer to the end. I have several issues on my claim will I get a C&P for each of them or just one exam for all?

Congrats on the movement.....any movement that brings you closer to completion is reason to be happy.

Not sure what your contentions are but from personal experience in regards to whether you will get a different C&P exam by a different doctor for each contentions....it just depends. If you have a contention in for hearing - they normally send you to a audiologist for the hearing tests/C&P. If you have a MH contention then you'll see a phsychiatrist (affectionately known by former DI's as "the wizard"). My husband had one doctor that did the C&P for neck, back, knees, headaches (secondary to cervical spine) , acid reflux/hiatel hernia (secondary to meds) and skin disorder. For the joint issues he was first sent for X-Rays and MRI - but the (General) Doctor did the C&P exam. When they send you the paperwork with the time and dates - it usually lists what contentions you have each of the appointments for.

Hope you get a good and caring doctor - there are some out there, but just like any profession there are also some bad apples.

Wow, 16 months to just get a C & P exam? I thought it you were referring to your disability rating after you already had your C & P exams. As far as the exams, they usually do a mental health exam if claimed & a medical exam. So, 2 providers doing initial exams. The medical exam will just be a general practioner & if you need for example, an audiologist, they will send you there. I had knee & back, so of course they sent me to Xray. I also had to get labwork done; can't remember what for.

I had my initial C & P exam in June 2011 & I just received my disability rating of 40% 5 days ago (15 months). I immediately appealed the rating. These idiots rated me 0% for a hysterectomy scar, but did not mention the fact that I had a hysterectomy/ovaries removed! That is 50% by itself! I appealed other stuff too, like the fact that they put my pay as a single veteran, even though I have 3 dependents! I wonder how many years it will take to finish the appeals. My stuff went thru Winston-Salem VA, so I don't know their track record, but I think one person said it wasn't good.

Anyway, hang in there. The VA is a nightmare, but sites like this will wake you up to the BS the VA pulls and how to handle it. I've been studying this site & the VA for 3 years BEFORE I retired. Good luck. Keep keeping us posted!