VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ihd And Chf--Same Package?

Rate this question

sgtmaj

Question

Wondering: I have 41% LVEF and 8.6 mets as of June 2010. Had below 50% LVEF since 1997 when I originally filed a claim for CAD which was denied. Currently in Nehmer since Nov 2010 for IHD. My cardiologist states I have chronic CHF. Should I be filing for CHF separately from IHD or is the CHF considered to be part of the IHD claim? Tks.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Wondering: I have 41% LVEF and 8.6 mets as of June 2010. Had below 50% LVEF since 1997 when I originally filed a claim for CAD which was denied. Currently in Nehmer since Nov 2010 for IHD. My cardiologist states I have chronic CHF. Should I be filing for CHF separately from IHD or is the CHF considered to be part of the IHD claim? Tks.

You are in good shape (claim wise) IHD/CAD are pretty much the same thing and CHF is the result of having the IHD.CAD. If you look at the rating list for heart conditions if CHF is present your rate goes up by the number of episodes you have per year.

Take care of yourself and you should be fine!

You are in good shape (claim wise) IHD/CAD are pretty much the same thing and CHF is the result of having the IHD.CAD. If you look at the rating list for heart conditions if CHF is present your rate goes up by the number of episodes you have per year.

Take care of yourself and you should be fine!

Tks--appreicate the reply. I have had no episodes since my heart attack in 97. So I'm wondering why my Doc would say I have "Chronic" CHF. "Chronic" is what is confusing me. I can find all sorts of info/definitions on CHF but not on "Chronic" CHF and under the VA rating list it doesn't say anything about episodes if one has "Chronic" CHF vs CHF. I will ask my cardiologist when I see him next month what the difference is--unless someone in this forum has an answer. Tks again.

p.s. Am curious how many vets have actually had their heart conditions worsened by the frustration and worrying etc. with the current VA system of AO IHD claim processin?. The individual workers (professionals) at VA I have no problem with at all--but the "system" is, in my opinion, not user friendly or informative to the veteran.

I once was faced with this same question and found this answer:

In medicine, a chronic disease is a disease that is long-lasting or recurrent. The term chronic describes the course of the disease, or its rate of onset and development. A chronic course is distinguished from a recurrent course; recurrent diseases relapse repeatedly, with periods of remission in between. As an adjective, chronic can refer to a persistent and lasting medical condition. Chronicity is usually applied to a condition that lasts more than three months. The opposite of chronic is acute.

Examples of chronic diseases include:

Hope this helps!

• HadIt.com Elder

IHD, CHF & "41% LVEF and 8.6 mets"

Off the cuff - - -

Obviously, all are related.

Given the VA's wierd and obsolete way of looking at things, I'd look at the VA compensation rate schedule, and see if CHD is evaluated any more favorably towards your situation than IHD or other applicable conditions.

When you do this, take note of the "codes". "Pyramiding" is generally not allowed, so making sure that the most favorable applicable code is applied is to your advantage. Another one that may apply is "congestive heart failure",

which also can be related to the causes of IHD. an 8.6 mets rating, if accurate, is not too severe. Your 1997 claim for CAD should be the date used to figure the effective date of claim, and any retro to be awarded.

Expect to see "staged" compensation rates and periods. If you were hospitalized in the interim for heart related problems or treatment, you might also find that you may be entitled to periods of higher than otherwise compensation.