Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Crossbow Permit

Rate this question

Carl the Engineer

Question

Hope after I get my rating for my shoulder to be 70% so I can get a WI fishing license for $3 this year. However, the biggy would be a crossbow permit.

To qualify for a crossbow permit you must complete and submit application form #2300-107 (Hunt with crossbow), indicating you have either:

1. an amputation or other loss of one or both arms above the wrist;

2. an amputation or other loss of the index or middle finger on the draw and release hand;

3. permanent, substantial loss of function in one or both hands, or one or both arms (as determined through standard upper extremity pinch, grip and 9-hole peg tests administered under the direction of a licensed physician), or;

4. permanent, substantial loss of function in one or both shoulders (as determined by standard shoulder strength tests administered under the direction of a licensed physician).

Would my rating and evaluation from the VA for my right (dominant) shoulder work for this, or would I have to go to a civilian doctor? Anyone try this?

Hamslice

“There is no hook my friend. There's only what we do.”  Doc Holiday 

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Since it says 'substantial' and doesn't bother to specify, they have left themselves open to significant interpretation. In my state they word everything as having to be totally disabled. Good luck!

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

• HadIt.com Elder

In my state you have to be P&T for all this kind of stuff. I have a Florida State ID card that says I am 100% P&T. I used it to get an almost free driving license.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hope after I get my rating for my shoulder to be 70% so I can get a WI fishing license for $3 this year.

I enjoy ice fishing in WI. Great state for the sportsman.

Good luck with your shoulder and the crossbow, 'Hamslice'.

CB

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"

4. permanent, substantial loss of function in one or both shoulders (as determined by standard shoulder strength tests administered under the direction of a licensed physician).

Would my rating and evaluation from the VA for my right (dominant) shoulder work for this, or would I have to go to a civilian doctor? Anyone try this?

Ham - if you use the VAMC you could probably ask your PCP (if they are a licensed physician)

to write up a Progress Note for this but I wonder if you research your state benefits web site if they

might have a printable form for their "standard shoulder strength tests" that you could take

for the doc to fill out.

JMHO

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

All, Thanks for replies,

Well, we will have to see where my shoulder "range of motion" comes in at. It would seem less than 50% would work. Still waiting on my increase for my shoulder... The below is from the doctor instructions from the permit form for a cross bow. Oh, and do you think the VA uses "any medically accepted standard" when measuring range of motion? Should be interesting to find out. Ha, ha...

Hamslice

Note to Examiner: You may use any medically accepted standard testing procedures to examine for muscle weakness or range of motion limitations of the shoulder. You should ascertain from the applicant or physician which muscle group is the source of the disability. Pain or lack of endurance alone cannot be used as grounds for granting a crossbow permit. Loss of function of the arm or hand must be substantiated through use of the standard upper extremity pinch, grip and 9-hole peg test. A score below the 10th percentile in any ONE test is sufficient proof to grant the permit. If muscle strength tests are scored using the scoring grades "normal" through "zero", scores at "fair" or below are sufficient proof to grant the permit. If tests are scored using the "5" through "0" scoring grades, a score of 3 or less is sufficient proof to grant the permit. If tests are used using "functional" scoring grades, scores of "nonfunctional" or less is sufficient proof to grant the permit. If the range of motion disability is less than 50% of full range, the permit can be granted. If the applicant is being tested for a "coordinative" disability and is given the "nine (9) hole peg test" and the score falls below the age-sex adjusted 10th percentile, the permit can be granted. If the "Mathiowetz" scoring tables are used, age and sex adjusted scores higher than l.4 times the mean are sufficient for granting the permit. If age and sex adjusted percentile scoring tables are used (such as the grip or pinch tests), scores falling under the 10th percentile are sufficient proof to grant the crossbow hunting permit. If the "Mathiowetz" scoring tables are used, scores falling below 55% of the age and sex adjusted mean scores are sufficient proof to grant the permit.

“There is no hook my friend. There's only what we do.”  Doc Holiday 

Must of this stuff is handled by the state you live in. Check with the requirements there. I am 100% P/T in Virginia and I applied for and got my lifetime card for hunting/fishing and saltwater fishing. They also gave me freshwater water trapping. All you ladies in pools better watch out! Ha Ha!