Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is Ssd Doctor’S Physical Standard?

Rate this question

pro-nra

Question

I was rated @ 100% from VA for my first application. I immediately got a job after retiring from the military but after 8 months of working I was terminated due to my physical condition/limitation. My employer gave me an official letter of the medical reason for my termination.

I filed for SSD 4 months ago and basically laid out what the VA rated me on and submitted the letter from my previous employer. SSA sent me a letter scheduling me for a doctor's exam. Well I went to the doc and he was very accommodating as he was a vet as well. I thought the exam went well as I could point out things I could never have just on paper alone.

My questions is, do all SSD applicants gets doctors exam? I thought I've read somewhere that only your medical records go forward. I hope my chances improved with a physical. What do you all expert think? Opinions please. Thank you.

Edited by pro-nra

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

My guess is that you will be required to see a Social Security Doctor but your claim should not have much trouble provided it meets the other criteria. The most important thing at Social Security is an opinion that you will not be able to work for at least 1 year.

When I filed and got SSDI in 4 months. They used all my VA records of my heart and DB2 but for some strange reason did not use my hearing tests and had me go to their doctor and also had me see their shrink! I am 100%+SMC-s. I think a lot depends on your state and how much they want to put their people through.

I have another thread were the congress was trying to get a bill passed saying if you have either one of these SSDI or VA 100% that you got both. But it has gone nowhere.

Good Luck to you!

• HadIt.com Elder

I never got an exam but I got SSD in about 3-4 months. I was pretty shocked since I was turned down for TDIU. I had two letters from shrinks that had all bells and whistles. The thing about being disabled from all work for at least one year is a key statement that must be in your reports.

Most applicants for SSDI will be seen by an SS doctor. Don't worry, my experince with them has been good. They usually do what they can to help a veteran. Also, if you are granted SSDI you will be reevaluated by their doctor in 3 to 5 years. After that they gerneraly don't request any more reviews.

I saw the doc SSA contracted with. He is also a vet and we talked for a while about the service. He was very accommodating and sincerely concerned about my ailments. Is this a normal thing where all applicants to SSD get examined by SSA contracted doctors? I thought it was just your records that goes up to SSA.

• HadIt.com Elder

Generally, SSDI will contract w/a doctor, to do an exam, unless you are quadraplalegic(sp), on dialysis or have another such severe disability that they can ascertain from your medical records. To my knowledge, they don't routinely get your VA medical records and would need a release from you to do so. jmo

pr