Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Status Of Claim?

Rate this question

Ethan'sGrandma

Question

Hello To All,

I hope I'm posting this in the right section. If not, please forgive me. I am so confused, but asking questions through the IRIS just got me more confused. I have been battling with this claim since 2005, still on appeal @ VARO, not certified to BVA as of yet. Below is the response that I received today per my request for status of my claim. I read it, clearly, honestly I do, but I am so overwhelmed with this, that it still makes no real sense to me. Can someone please help me decipher this message from VA? Why are they still holding on to this appeal? It's just as more twisting of words, it seems to me, because I don't understand what else are they waiting for to certify this appeal?

Everything I've sent them is not noted in their message, but they have everything they could possibly need. So, if they're not going to re-evaluate anything, this could take more years before it ever gets certified to BVA. They already have everything that I have, including my diagnosis from VA psych., and everything else required, but still I wonder... what can they possibly be waiting for? I've read on here that it's best for the claim to remain with VARO, but if VARO is not going to act on this claim, why not just send it to BVA, so this can, at the very least, be placed on the docket, someday to be looked at?

I did not want to obtain an attorney, but am in the process of asking about it, even if all the work that I have personally done with my claim, even as I've struggled with it, just be to make it easier for someone else to take the credit, never mind a nice chunk, if I am eventually granted. Yet, I'm almost at my limit of trying to deal with this claim, so I'm thinking, it may not be a bad idea to allow someone else to be the messenger. In any case, I would greatly appreciate any words of wisdom someone on here could offer. Is the message I am reading saying the claim will eventually get certified, but VARO can still make a decision before that? Or, is the VARO done with it, just holding on to it, for whatever reason, before sending it to BVA? Thank you very kindly for any response I may get.

"This is in response to your inquiry to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) dated May 10, 2011.

We apologize for the length of time it is taking to complete your appeal. According to our records you have two appeals pending in our system.

Notice of Disagreement (NOD) dated November 6, 2007: We received your NOD for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) on November 6, 2007. We released a statement of the case (SOC) on August 8, 2008. You attended a formal hearing on July 21, 2009. We released a supplementary statement of the case (SSOC) on September 16, 2009.

Our records indicate VA Form 9, Appeal to Board of Veterans' Appeals (BVA), was received on October 7, 2008.

NOD received November 7, 2007: We received your NOD for Benign skin neoplasms on November 7, 2007. We released a SOC on December 30, 2009. Our records show that you attended a formal hearing on July 21, 2009. We released a SSOC on February 26, 2010.

Our records indicate VA Form 9, Appeal to Board of Veterans' Appeals (BVA), was received on February 26, 2010.

At this time, your appeals are awaiting review by a member of the Appeals Department at your regional office. This review is necessary to ensure sufficient documentation has been received to support the appeal. Once this determination is made, the appeal will be certified as such, and forwarded to BVA for processing.

If it is determined additional information and/or evidence is required to make a decision, you will be notified via U.S. mail. If additional information or action is not required, and a decision can be rendered, you will be advised of the decision via U.S. mail.

We appreciate your service to our country!

Thank you for contacting us. If you have questions or need additional help with the information in our reply, please respond to this message or see our other contact information below."

• Answers 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• Vicdamon12 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • ArmyTom earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • kidva earned a badge
      Reacting Well
    • kidva went up a rank
      Apprentice
    • kidva earned a badge
      Collaborator
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use