COOL BREEZE

Question

DELETED

Edited by COOL BREEZE

• Answers 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well, I certainly believe it!! Actually, one checkup per year is surprising me right at this very moment. I went for mine recently, including women's health, and was asked by my primary NP if I'd like to come in every two years from now on, instead of one. I said, no, I don't like!! I'm not trying to take up another one of their spots for somebody else that needs it, but I'm sick of them acting as if I have to beg for care, at the local VA clinic that I go to. I only go there once a year, to keep myself on the system, so they don't get any bright ideas to boot me off. I have mayor health problems, but I don't use the VA for that because now I have another means to take care of it. However, I've not always had other availability which is what prompted me to start using the VA, to begin with. But, I'm not chancing not having access if my other availability is lost, or if I'm denied needed care, as has also happened, and I've had to turn to the VA, temporarily, until the appeal of denials was favorable. I am grateful for what I have been able to get, especially, when I had no other health care available, but I'm super grateful that except for annual check, I can go somewhere else. In the not so distant past, when I had no other alternative but to go to the clinic, I was so grateful that the other means came through for me, shortly after I'd visited their clinic. I'd felt so ill, made an appointment to be seen, but failed to get the proper diagnosis. It turned out my complaints/symptoms were due to diabetes, which apparently I'd been walking around with for quite some time, but it was a doctor at an immediate care facility that finally diagnosed it when I became so sick, I took myself over there, even though just three days earlier I had been seen at the VA for the exact same symptoms. It was a good thing that I didn't simply take the VA doc's word for it that she couldn't note anything was the matter. I still can't figure out how it was missed, although, the diagnosing doctor had an idea, which still boggles my mind. So, I do wonder, what else is new?

• HadIt.com Elder

Got quite a surprise today when I went to a VA appointment. I was handed a 432 page manual called "Veterans Health At Home Lifetime". Effective in June veterans will no longer be able to call the appointment line for an appointment and actually get one scheduled. The new procedure is you call and a nurse will call you back within a day or two for a phone consul. At that time you are expected to open this manual and go through a check list with the nurse who also will be asking you questions about your symptoms. At that time it will be determined whether you will be scheduled for an appointment or if medicine will be ordered. And low and behold if you aren't home or have a recording on your voice mail that doesn't conform to government regulations, no message will be left, and no other calls will be sent.

And if they do schedule you for an appointment I was informed you will take what they give you, not what is convenient for you. And the reason-because of the shortages of doctors and us involved in 2 wars they can no longer handle the current flow of appointments. So, these will be mostly phone consults where they will tell you how to treat yourself using this hand book for a guidance. If you run out of medication, you will call the pharamacy who will contact the doctor to order your new refills. No more appointments just to get a new refill. Of course I had to share my 2 cents during this mandatory briefing before my appointment. I ticked off the nurse when I said the real reason is the VA is cutting back on funding, and now they are taking it out on denying Veterans doctors appointment. You are only allowed 1 annual check up per year. When I asked the nurse what happens if you have chest pain, she said to go the the ER. Well, the last time I went the doors were locked at night, no one answered the phone, so I went to a private hospital.

The nurse told me this has already started nationwide with a start date for all VA hospitals and clinics in June. Just read this manual and use it as a self health book before calling the VA. What is next?

Cool Breeze, you are exactly right. Now this is going to hjave a negative effect on the VA as well as Veterans.

We can write a letter to our representatives to get this thing tossed. There is quite a large number of vets, Including me that has other insurance. Most vets 65 or older also have medicare. This affords us the avenue to tell the VA to take a flying leap and go outside for treatment. Once they lose enough Paying Veterans. (Veterans with Insurance Means to offset VA costs), They will wake up and scrap this crap.

This is a great topic.

JBasser

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Here in Phoenix if you want travel pay you have to bring in a water bill, electric bill, etc. with your address though I have been going there for over ten years. Lived in the same house etc.

bobbyq

• HadIt.com Elder

So far I get check-ups twice a year with my PCP and about 4 trips to the VA shrink and an annual eye exam. Dental once every two years which is piss poor and below standard for any private dentist in the world. I just use the VA to check in and complain about pain and depression. I want to keep getting my drugs with no co-pays since that would cost me. I really hate the VA. The access problem is not getting better and there are more and more very sick, older vets who make me look like the picture of health. I am almost ashamed to even ask for help from a system geared to charity cases. Really it feels like welfare. The hospital seems dirty. I buy my own glasses and will go to my own dentist after using the half-ass VAMC. They really treat us like dirt in Tampa.