Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Does Sharing A Kodak Moment Work?

Rate this question

Bigred122

Question

It's been one of those weeks. Ticker has been acting up and the thought that my claim may out live me ticks me off.So I thought I better try something different so that maybe my kid will be able to get what the system screwed me outta of. Since seeing it here and reading a couple of court cases where the Vet gave them tons of medical studies, articles and medical opinions from all over the world about their disability and to see the VA blow off the info. Example: Vet includes Einsteins Theory as evidence. The VA responds: " Although Einstein is well known for E= MC2, it is still ONLY a theory.And since the MC in his theory doesn't stand for Michael Curtis, we have to deny this theory as being evidence of your POSSIBLE disability." Even tho on their ebenefits website, they ask for such information to prove your disability association, they at the end just dismiss this information.

What I want to do is send them some copies of some pictures of me out in the field providing communications for such units as the 72nd Armour and the 32nd Calvary in South Korea. Both of these units are on the APPROVED for AO list. These pictures show us more in the weeds than these units are.lol They tear up alot of ground when they are out there playing and nothing grows there for quite sometime. These are just two of the units that our platoon has provided communications out on field manuevers. I've included a few pictures of us on the other Koreas side of the border and the 20' boat with the single beaver tail paddle we used to get to the other side of the river. They will be able to verify the pictures from their satelittes. I'm sure not to much has changed since 1972!! I've also included a picture of one of my buddies Headstone who I served with in Korea and is in the pictures with me. He passed away in 2003 of cancer. He was a Great friend and a Damn good soldier!! He re-entered the service and did 2 tours in the Persian gulf where he was presented a Bronze Star! The funny thing is, we both enlisted in the service in Oregon. Yet he is buried just 50 miles from where I live now. I was looking for my buddies I served with in Korea to get buddy letters for my claim when I found out about him. The rest of the platoon are still alive according to SSA but that is all that they would give me.I only hope that they are not dealing with all the health problems that Ron and I have dealt with. Ron and I loved what we did and was always the first to volunteer for field manuevers duty.Awwww the stories we shared. Anyway, has anyone tried telling their stories thru pictures. They show where I was, who we were with and the weeds we setup in. Duty rosters are often the type of things that come up missing.I was saving the idea of using pictures for if I got denied.But this weeks flareups has convinced me to include it now to maybe stop a denial on the claim. My AO claim is probably my weakest of my claims especially since seeing all these blowoffs by the VA with medical articles and other studies relating to Agent Orange. Hopefully these pictures will show the VA that these units could not do their jobs without us providing communications to them and Division Headquarters on what their mission was. Where they walked, we walked and etc. These pictures should show the correlation between the two units and what they were exsposed to we also was exposed to the same conditions. Veldrina, have you seen anyone use pictures as evidence??? Mike

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

I always like to see outside the box thinking and would say why not. When I turned 65 I looked up the stats for living to 65 for my age. I was shocked to learn that on 2/3rds of people born in 1943 made it to 65.

When I see the obituary that I read occasionally many of the folks are younger than me. Just another reason to be grateful I guess.

The stuff I posted was not meant to discourage but to suggest that you look for even more evidence to send when you send the pictures.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I always like to see outside the box thinking and would say why not. When I turned 65 I looked up the stats for living to 65 for my age. I was shocked to learn that on 2/3rds of people born in 1943 made it to 65.

When I see the obituary that I read occasionally many of the folks are younger than me. Just another reason to be grateful I guess.

The stuff I posted was not meant to discourage but to suggest that you look for even more evidence to send when you send the pictures.

What you posted was the truth and it is a shame that the VA takes the attitude that they do. The day I read your post, I was reading a case at the CAVC that was exactly what you were talking about. The Vet had tons of mediacal studies from all over the world from reknown scientist and Drs that supported his claims. But since the studies did not mention the Vets name in their studies the VA dismissed the information. He even had two IMOs who testified in his favor. But since they had not memorized his whole medical record the Board dismissed their opinions as well.

I see the internal battles that the VA has with Congress and it disturbs me. Congress would enact a bill that benefits the Vet and the VA will create some document/opinion that makes the Congress Bill null or void. And the circle continues with the Vet in the middle trying to figure out what is what at that given time period. I see the programs that exist to speed up the process of claims and then see the employees who are suppose to be using these programs doing what they want to, the way they want to and not how they are suppose to be doing it. Such as, they are directed to talk to the Vet personally on the phone to let the Vet know what is needed to process claim and to give them suggestions.My claim is almost 1 year old now and I have not once talked with any Claim rater. They give you that one form stating you have provided all the evidence that your going to and for them to make their decision within 30 days.You sign the form and it justs sit there and nothing is done any faster.First one I signed in January and second one was signed in March and file has not been opened since march.The tools are there for them to use,but very few are using them. I still think that this is the typical slowdown they have done for years when it is contract time. This time it is the budget they are waiting for to be signed. They know that there will be cutbacks and they are making sure of their job security.Once it is signed and they still have their jobs, things will magically speed up. Just wait and see.Mike

• HadIt.com Elder

Hang in there you will win your claim.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Hope Veldrina pops in here but I have used pictures for a few vet's claims locally.

Have you accessed Ted Barker's info at the Korean War Project site? He has been a relentless advocate for Korean War vets.DOn't know if this fwd will help you but his site has lots of good info.

I just got this fwd from an advocate:

"Steve,

As you know, I have been contacted by about 25 media journalists from

Korea since May 22nd. I was surprised that the many messages about

toxins in Korea that were "hiding in plain sight" were finally

discovered from our message areas.

Whether the media used the email tool in our form mail or used links out

to other resources like yours and Phil's, they have found some men to

interview.

The original scope was Camp Carroll but has expanded to storage,

transport, handling or affected vets to any and all toxins with AO at

the top of the list.

Some of the men who have been contacted have aired their views. Many

others do not wish to be in the media glare, no matter how they have

fared with toxic exposure.

This event in Korea has reacquainted me with many of those who have used

our site to network. Liz Harmon and I have been wood shedding on her

case for Don and she has been bringing me up to date on other, older

cases.

What the Korean Task Force, the Ministry of Interior, media are looking

for are men who are willing to speak of their experiences. There is a

potential for a severe political position and that is part of why many

men or family have not spoken out.

What I am looking to do is continue to network USFK vets or family with

Korean media, if they so desire.

Pass this around and let me know of any responses for public comment by

folks.

Note: I have seen only a couple small articles by US press on the

current excitement in Korea."

==============================================

Ted Barker: PH: 214.320.0342

Korean War Project (Online since 1/15/94)

Site: www.koreanwar.org

Info: info@koreanwar.org

Help: help@koreanwar.org

__._,_.___

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Hope Veldrina pops in here but I have used pictures for a few vet's claims locally.

Have you accessed Ted Barker's info at the Korean War Project site? He has been a relentless advocate for Korean War vets.DOn't know if this fwd will help you but his site has lots of good info.

I just got this fwd from an advocate:

"Steve,

As you know, I have been contacted by about 25 media journalists from

Korea since May 22nd. I was surprised that the many messages about

toxins in Korea that were "hiding in plain sight" were finally

discovered from our message areas.

Whether the media used the email tool in our form mail or used links out

to other resources like yours and Phil's, they have found some men to

interview.

The original scope was Camp Carroll but has expanded to storage,

transport, handling or affected vets to any and all toxins with AO at

the top of the list.

Some of the men who have been contacted have aired their views. Many

others do not wish to be in the media glare, no matter how they have

fared with toxic exposure.

This event in Korea has reacquainted me with many of those who have used

our site to network. Liz Harmon and I have been wood shedding on her

case for Don and she has been bringing me up to date on other, older

cases.

What the Korean Task Force, the Ministry of Interior, media are looking

for are men who are willing to speak of their experiences. There is a

potential for a severe political position and that is part of why many

men or family have not spoken out.

What I am looking to do is continue to network USFK vets or family with

Korean media, if they so desire.

Pass this around and let me know of any responses for public comment by

folks.

Note: I have seen only a couple small articles by US press on the

current excitement in Korea."

Ted Barker: PH: 214.320.0342

Korean War Project (Online since 1/15/94)

Site: www.koreanwar.org

Info: info@koreanwar.org

Help: help@koreanwar.org

__._,_.___

Thank You Berta for sharing the information. His site seems familiar, but I will check it out again to make sure. I have bounced so much all over the internet that I can't remember where I am going or where I have been.

The Korean Vets like me are a little behind the curve on the AO subject matter. But more and more of us are comparing notes on our particular circumstances. They keep throwing up walls, but they forget we are from the old school. What walls we can't go over,we go under and what walls we can't go under, we go around!! And last but not least, if those ways don't work we'll knock the sumabitch down!!! lol The main thing we have to do is share the knowledge!! It might not help us who are sliding down the back side of the hill, but like those who came before us if it will help the next generation then it will all be worth it!! Thank you again Berta for all that you do for everyone in the past,the present and those in the Future!! Mike

Hope you all don't mind me squeezing in here but I enjoy any and all info about AO in the ROK. Most of my time in service was in Korea, 72-76. I was with the 2nd Infantry Div. stationed at Camp Casey and Camp Howze. Both are near the DMZ. Before I ask this question, I want to say I don't have any illnesses due to AO, but, other vets I been reading has. My question is, it's been proven they used AO along the Z in what, 68 & 69, why is it then BOG isn't applied. Our Co. was a support Bat. with many excursions along the Z. It's my impression the VA is saying the Vets weren't in jeopardy after 69. But yet, in Nam, all you have to prove is Boots On Ground miles from where it was sprayed. I guess I'm not understanding their logic.

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!