Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Is This Vcaa Letter About?

Rate this question

slangpdx

Question

I was awarded 70% disability in February for a case filed in Feb 2010 for anxiety depression service connected. I am seeing a counselor who was afraid I am growing suicidal and strongly suggested I go to the VA for antidepressants again.

Against my better judgment I called to schedule an appt. I mentioned I was working so needed to go early as possible in the day.

A day later I receive in the mail a packet saying "they are working on my claim for unemployablity" even though the case has already been decided and have a bunch of papers that need to be filled out, and want statements from employer, counselors, etc.

It sounds like they are trying to get evidence for a denial of claim to me.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

The VA works mysterious ways and the fact you never know what their up to makes people hesitant. If you feel strongly about this, talk to your SO about it, if you have one. Secondly, if you have any reason to believe any information from your job is going to hurt your claim, then I would defiantly have second thoughts about it. It does seem odd that they contacted you about this 5 months later. Have you ever applied for IU? I'm sure others here will chime in on this.

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Because you are 70% the VA may have inferred a potential TDIU claim for you. Are you working full time and making more than poverty level? Don't stop going to the VA. Remember if you tell the VA counselor that you are thinking about suicide or have some kind of plan they have a duty to protect you even if that means admitting against your will. You really have to convince them you are going to kill yourself for them to involuntarily admit you. Are you suicidal? Be honest with yourself and your doctor. If the VCAA letter tells you that they are working on a TDIU claim why would you think they are trying to deny you some benefit? Can I ask how old you are?

Because you are 70% the VA may have inferred a potential TDIU claim for you. Are you working full time and making more than poverty level? Don't stop going to the VA. Remember if you tell the VA counselor that you are thinking about suicide or have some kind of plan they have a duty to protect you even if that means admitting against your will. You really have to convince them you are going to kill yourself for them to involuntarily admit you. Are you suicidal? Be honest with yourself and your doctor. If the VCAA letter tells you that they are working on a TDIU claim why would you think they are trying to deny you some benefit? Can I ask how old you are?

Thanks for the help. I don't know how my age is relevant, but let's say I am over 50. I am not trying to convince anyone I am suicidal, I am only contacted the VA because my present non-VA counselor was afraid for me. The letter I was sent says "Important - Reply Needed" and says "we need additional evidence from you". It then goes on about possible compensation at the 100% rate and invites me to fill out a form 21-8940 for unemployability, which I am also not trying to do, I am perfectly happy with my present rating. It wants a statement from a 'former employer'.

I recently turned down an offer for a job paying over double what I am making because I felt as in many previous occasions I could not deal with that work environment. A counselor and state assigned job coach both feel that was the right decision for my situation. My present job is brain and soul crushing maintaining obsolete computer code but the human contact is minimal.

It says it wants evidence asap and if not received in 30 days they will make a decision. At this point I am sorry I ever contacted them because they never helped anyway, my app for SC was made on the advice of a state vet rep even though I'd been going to a VA psyche for 5 years and none of the meds they put me on helped, only made me gain weight.

it sounds like they mistakenly put u in for a claim. If you don;t want to go through the bother, you can let them know you are not claiming IU at this time. What they should've done, since u stated you are working, is set you up for an exam for increase. In any case, you can just call or write the office and let them know you are not filing anything at this time and they will withdraw it. Re age, i think you were asked because after 65 yrs old or if in receipt of SSD youqualify for IU...and re the working, if it is not "gainful employment" (ie enough to sustain you/over the poverty threshold) then you qualify for IU as well.

• HadIt.com Elder

You may get rated 100%. Tell them to get your most current records. Your VA counselor thinks you are really in bad shape. If they want to infer a claim for you at 100% level let them.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think this is just coincidental. The VA doesn't act that quickly. Besides the VAMC and the VA Service Center(claims) don't even talk to each other. I think you're worrying for nothing. jmo

pr

I was awarded 70% disability in February for a case filed in Feb 2010 for anxiety depression service connected. I am seeing a counselor who was afraid I am growing suicidal and strongly suggested I go to the VA for antidepressants again.

Against my better judgment I called to schedule an appt. I mentioned I was working so needed to go early as possible in the day.

A day later I receive in the mail a packet saying "they are working on my claim for unemployablity" even though the case has already been decided and have a bunch of papers that need to be filled out, and want statements from employer, counselors, etc.

It sounds like they are trying to get evidence for a denial of claim to me.