VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

At Last

Rate this topic

Omg-Sue

Today the VARO, Waco, came for the dreaded home visit'. This guy was a very decent fellow and we all were able to keep up with the info he gave and he answered all questions. He worked with us and after seeing us in the home environment, said that we need to ask for SMC because I already pay out of pocket for household help, cooking, grocery shopping, and taking K to his appointments. He observed my difficulty walking & said I should not have to be sole caregiver for K. WOW! Now get this, he said to go to the DAV rep, fill out the forms, And have him write on the request that Field Examiner D.C. thinks this should be given! There are circumstances where it is awarded when a particular non-SC condition aggravates the SC condition.

So K is 100% SC for PS. After he got out of the Army he had not been given a DX or meds there so he was in bad shape, sometimes homeless. As indirect result, long story, his eyes were shot out by a St Louis cop. Also, when K has a hard time getting around the house, it stirs his PS and he is agitated. Solution: a VA grant to modify the bathroom & the small doorways, put up rails some inside, some outside such as porch railing & intercom. Thats all I can think of right now. This guy broke everything down very well.

After talking with me (spouse) he said I was fully competent to be my husband's fiduciary, and that K was obviously very well cared for. Daughter & I carefully examined the paperwork & there appeared to be no sneaky business. So now I will be able to do my job as well or better than before. (Ya there is some accountability so we might actually wind up with savings). Our plan to use all the retro to pay off debts & cut up some credit cards was fine, as long as I advised them and I just did.

What happens next ( those going thru VA incompetency finding might like to know);

Direct deposit will go on as usual until sometime within 90 days a paper check will be sent to ME for K. This should be the retro they are holding as well as a regular check , maybe seperate checks..

I am to take that to the bank and open a new account in my name as custodian for K. Set up direct deposit to that new account. K can keep his other checking account for his Social Sec direct deposit check & whatever.

I have listed exactly what bills he will be paying out of his VA money and we have to stick to that. Questioning the gifting clause, he said of course K can gift his children & grands or whoever. He just cant go gamble it away, etc, or support someone else out of it.

On leaving he said we should go ASAP to apply for those other benefits he mentioned. He is a retired First Sgt and has a disabled daughter. He seemed to love his work & used the time to find more help for us. So I guess that was not so bad after all.

I told him I cleaned house because he was coming (I thought it was funny) and he just said 'thank you'.

My heart is full of gratitude for all you Hadit members and the support you provide, encouragement, information; all the above.

I hope we can help others who have this problem. Hugs to all, Sue & K

Note: results may not be typical. Luck of the draw for F.E. you get.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news! It does my heart good to read positive outcomes like this. Good luck in getting the next stage of ratings accomplished!

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use