Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Think I Found The Way Into The System! (I Hope). Please Read

Rate this question

cojolio

Question

OK, so after reading this board and another one that I won't promote here for two days straight (literary), I think I found a solution to my problem. (Re-opening my lower back & numbness of left hallux denied back in 08 without NOD)

Here are the quick facts (read my other two posts if you need more details plz, don't want to beat a dead horse).

In 2008, I was MEB Boarded under VA Code 5271 (Limitation of Motion with Deltoid Ligament Repair) 20% following Airborne injury.

While out processing, a lady told me to fill out a form listing everything I wanted to claim with VA: so I put lower back pain, right/left knee pains/ numbness of my left toe.

I ETS from service June 18,2008. The VA RECEIVED my claim on Feb 20th as stated on the award letter. On the award letter DATED July 22th, 2008, they approved my ankle claim (remember MEB Board 20%...) WITH AN EFFECTIVE DATE of JUNE 19th, but denied everything else stating "we determined that the following conditions was not related to your military service, so service connection couldn't be established".

OK, so I get on Ebenefits and noticed the following:

Details on your Compensation claim received on 6/19/2008 (my award letter says feb 20th)

• Regional Office of Jurisdiction: Atlanta
  • Power of Attorney: DISABLED AMERICAN VETERANS
    Where Should You Send What We Need?
    Department of Veterans Affairs
    Atlanta Regional Office
    PO Box 100021
    Decatur, GA 30031

Contentions
    • chronic left ankle pain
    • lower back
    • (((((((missing numbness of left hallux, left/right knee conditions?)))))

What Have We Done?

Items Date Opened Suspense Date Follow-up Dates

Requested service treatment records. 6/26/2008 10/24/2008

So, they requested my service treatment records on 6/26 (but my effective day for my ankle is 6/19…with everything else denied, at this point I haven't been to any VA hospitals either). Although I don't know what a suspense date is, it is blank, as well as follow-up dates.

So, do you guys think that they made their decisions without having my service records and/or my MED Board paperwork as well? If they did not, can I reopen it using N&M or CUE or anything else since they didn't consider my srv records to begin with? What do you guys think? Or am I getting excited over nothing…I have been going to the VA hospital and my numbness in the toes and lower back pain is WELL documented (both in my srv records, medical board, and VA medical records) so I can prove its an ongoing issue...

PS. I would like to point out that on Ebenefits, there is a claim called "administrative review" but when I click it is basically the same stuff as I pasted above..Showing the same dates…is this important?

PS. For those wondering if I have the Bases and Reasoning for the claim…I don't…, never got it in the mail, never seen it. All I have is the notification letter they sent me after I call and asked them. I file a FOIA on 3/16/2011 and still on Phase 1 on ebenefits in an attempt to get the bases and reasoning part.

ALSO, I can post the award letter, or any other paperwork that might clear things up if need be...

Edited by cojolio

nothing here

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

I was hoping that your reason and bases were in this packet but you may have to take a trip to the local VARO. Sometimes it helps by going there to pick a copy up and getting it for yourself instead of waiting for them to send it to you.

• HadIt.com Elder

I see a few possible potential errors. You need to view your c-file and get a complete copy of this correspondence. The decision generally includes additional correspondence. This is just the letter explaining the decision. The decision doesn't seem to be included. The decision should include a list of evidence & the reasons and bases, just to name a couple. I believe a failure to list the reasons and bases is a CUE and makes the decision invalid. Additionally you should get a copy of what's called the "blue sheet," which has the diagnostic codes and percentages awarded, including NSC conditions. jmo

Generally, the VA notifies the claimant, via the VCAA, of what is needed and to submit any additional evidence within the next 30 days and if nothing is received within 30 days they will make a decision, based on the evidence of record. They should make a subsequent decision when additional evidence is received, after the original decision, but rarely, if ever, do.

pr

Airborne, all the way!

Edited by Philip Rogers

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• RICHKAY earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • pacmanx1 earned a badge
      Great Content
    • czqiang1079 earned a badge
      First Post
    • Vicdamon12 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Panther8151 earned a badge
      One Year In
  • Our picks

• Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

• Good question.   

Maybe I can clear it up.  

The spouse is eligible for DIC if you die of a SC condition OR any condition if you are P and T for 10 years or more.  (my paraphrase).  

More here:

Source:

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/

NOTE:   TO PROVE CAUSE OF DEATH WILL LIKELY REQUIRE AN AUTOPSY.  This means if you die of a SC condtion, your spouse would need to do an autopsy to prove cause of death to be from a SC condtiond.    If you were P and T for 10 full years, then the cause of death may not matter so much. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use