VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can Anyone Tell Me What My Rating Should Be?

Rate this question

marine26

Question

My original diagnosis of PTSD was in July 2010 with a score of 60/85 on the PCL and my original GAF score was 45. Since I got out of the military in 4/2010 I have been unable to obtain unemployment due to the severity of my symptoms and they have since, gotten worse. I am currently on Trazodone for Depression, Panic Disorder, and to help get me asleep; Prazosin for nightmares; and BusPar for Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

C&P Exam

*Section 1

1. Diagnostic Summary

Does the veteran have a diagnosis of PTSD that conforms to DSM-IV criteria based on todays evaluation? YES

2.Current Diagnosis

Axis I: 309.81 PTSD (Chronic)

Comments: The veteran was exposed to a wide range of traumatic stressors. He struggled with social/occupational deficits since exposure, and he has sought treatment for such. The examiner is able to opine the veteran suffers from PTSD that is most likely (more than 50/50 probability) caused by or a result of military service.

Axis II: 799.9 diagnosis deferred

Axis IV: Psychosocial and environmental problems to include: Social, Familial, Employment, Financial.

Axis V: GAF 43

3.Occupational and social impairment

Total occupational and social impairment Yes

*Section 2: Clinical findings

1. File review: Yes

2. History:

a. Revelant Social/ Marital/ Family history: Married in 2008, but currently estranged relationship with wife.

b. Revelant Occupational and Educational History: last employed 2010(USMC). Ateempted to obtain employment at call center, but was unable to tolerate level of activity around him.

c. Revelant Medical history: prescribed psychtrophic medication by primary care provider. Attempted to access treatment, but his efforts have been largely unsuccessful or largely impeded. primary care provider recently managed referral to a counselor for individual therapy.

3. Stressors: (3)

Do these stressors meet criterion A: Yes

4. PTSD diagnostic criteria:

Criterion a: Both

Criterion b: 5 of 5

Criterion c: 5 of 7

Criterion d: 5 of 5

Criterion e: Symptoms lasted more then a month (Yes)

Criterion f: symptoms decribed cause clinically signifigant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning (Yes)

5. Symptoms

a. depressed mood

b. anxiety

c. suspiciousness

d. chronic sleep impairment

e. flattened effect

f. disturbances of motivation and mood

g. difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships

h. difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or work like setting

i. impaired impulse control, such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence

6. Competency

Veteran is capable of handling own financial affairs.

7. Remarks

Veterans face was haggard and careworn. He presented as intense, somewhat paranoid, and wracked with anxiety consistent with formidable PTSD.

This is the report I recieved from my C&P exam, and would like to know what people think of the results? What percentage do you think I will recieve based on my results?

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I feel the rating should be 100% but then again I have no idea what the VA would award- unless you apply for TDIU.

Have you done that? The TDIU form is 21-8940 and available here under the forms area to the right of the main forums.

Va would possibly award 70% and then defer TDIU and send the form with that decision. But why wait?

They use the date of the TDIU form usually for any retro TDIU and probably save thousands by sending the form themselves when any vet with access to the form can apply whenever their SC disabilites render them as unemployable.

Check Yes to # 18 and then apply for SSDI too.

The SSA web site has the criteria for SSDI.

Under # 25 Remarks -you can refer them to a separate page and tell them of any side affects of you PTSD and any SC meds that interfere with employment and anything else you feel they should know but try to keep this to one page.

Make sure you copy the form for your records and put your C file number, name and address on anything you send to them and get a proof of mailing when you mail it.

I pay extra for Tracking slip on anything I mail to the VA.I always use Priority mail although priority means nothing to them.

The USPS tracking slip however lets you track the submission on line at USPS and you can print out the proof that the VA received it all.

I was referring to this area for one: 3.Occupational and social impairment Total occupational and social impairment Yes

I was just thinking there would have been a further detailed narrative of the occupational and social impairment there instead of just 'Yes' ...... But with what you have there I would also think a very high percentage, if not total, would be awarded.

Well , under #3 Occupational and social impairment, it has the different rating criterias for 0 - 100%. From a mental condition has been formally diagnosed , but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functiong or to require continuous medicaton (0%) to total occupational and social impairments to Total occupational and social impairment (100%), but does not have the "due to such symptoms as" sub text for the rating criterias. The directions for the examiner say: Which of the following best summarizes the Veteran's level of occupational and social impairment with regards to all mental diagnoses? And he checked Total occupational and social impairment. I hope that clarifies things!

To the other posts, I have not applied for tdiu yeat and was told that if i applied now it would slow my rating down. Is that true? I called the VA yesterday and they said my claim has already been rated and is now just waiting to be reviewed and signed off on. Any advice on whether or not i should apply for tdiu based on these circumstances?

• HadIt.com Elder

I think you are going to get 100% so just wait until you get your rating. If the rating has been made do nothing to slow your rating letter. You don't want this thing thrown back into development stage. I will go out on a limb and say you will get 100% because your exam doctor went all out to see that you got a good rating. He stuck his neck way out there from reading your exam. He called your PTSD "formidable". That to me means 100%. Just sit tight. Anything you do now will just slow it down. I know you feel desparate, but just try and relax for a few more weeks. Think about your treatment.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with my good friend John999. Together over the years we have helped each other fight for earned benefits.

I agree with my good friend John999. Together over the years we have helped each other fight for earned benefits.

Thanks a lot to the both of you. Its good to see vets helping vets get what we have earned and deserve. I will let yall know what my rating is when i get it. And if I need more advice from there i will be sure to ask your advice!