Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dental Implants

Rate this question

drichva

Question

I am a 100% veteran who had dental work done when I returned from Viet Nam and after discharge. I was provided with crowns and bridges by a private dentist over 30 years ago. The work now has deteriorated to a point in which I need new teeth. I am under the understanding that VA will try to get me to settle for Dentures. I read somewhere however if I push them hard enough I may be approved for implants. I will be going to the clinic in San Antonio TX. Does anyone know of the implants being approved?

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Dental implants are good. I have had two that I paid for since the VA would not do it and I did not trust them anyway. It is a long and painful process. I mean they have to implant a metal root into your jawbone. That has to heal and then they implant more stuff so you can eventually get a crown. All this has to heal before you get the crown, but if you can hang a bridge off the implant that is great. Getting 15 implants would be an ordeal.

• HadIt.com Elder

Interesting cause I had asked for implants and the answer was the chance was between slim and none although I understand clinically I am a good candidate.

Dallas Dental runs some interesting deals including doing cosmetic surgery and other side lines for Dentists to make money.

I have been going through the process of 2 implants upper right for just about 12 months now. I am at the point where the teeth are to be attached come October 6th. They are also working on a bridge left lower that has been going on at the same time and just about 6 months on that one. They too are supposed to be mounted on the 6th. The last time they tried the bridge it did not fit and had to be cut and soldered back together.

Waiting has been a PIA and the service they gives is like don't call us we will call you when it is ready! Not very accommodating and acting like they are doing me a fricking favor. I have put up with it to this point because I want and need the teeth, but I do plan on make some choice comments when this is all over to the point of their care.

My condition was caused by dry mouth and DB-2 they say and I am also a 100%SC vietnam vet. They give me no respect but I have given them as much respect as I can and have made all my appt.s on time and been very flexible. Again the attitude of their service needs adjusting!

Good Luck on your quest for better teeth!

I have this thing about clamping down so hard on my teeth, that I actually break off fillings and teeth. I had such a bad tooth ache (No Kentucky jokes J):biggrin: and I was in Virginia. Went to my daughter's Dentist, and said I needed a root canal. Which was going to be $1800.00 plus the crown. Don't have that kind of money, so I contacted the Dental school in San Antonio. Have an appointment this Monday for a root canal for $450.00. These are Dentists that are upgrading their skills. My point is, while not free, you may want to look into the dental school for implants. Around 1980 time frame they did a lot of work on my upper teeth, and my crowns are Gold. By today's standards I'm Rich. Told the wife when I croak, get the pliers out :rolleyes:.

Papa

I have been evaluated at the Dental Clinic and seems that I am going to be approved for dental implants. I will bring this forum updates as I process through the system. Thank you all for your added comments and statements.

• HadIt.com Elder

If someone is going to do your implants you want some dentist that has done a couple of thousand of them. If you have good bone in your jaw they should be able to do an implant.